Job categories Project Management
Vacancy code VA/2021/B5107/21889
Department/office ECR, AUMCO, Pristina
Duty station Pristina, Kosovo (under UNSCR 1244/99)
Contract type Local ICA Specialist
Contract level LICA Specialist-10
Application period 07-Jun-2021 to 20-Jun-2021
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
UNOPS’ Pristina Office reports to the UNOPS Multi Country Office in Vienna, as part of the UNOPS Europe & Central Asia Region (ECR). UNOPS presence in Pristina was established in 1999 to help the Kosovo Government and other partners achieve their development, peace and security goals and aims to enable the achievement of UN-SDG Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement through projects tailored interventions by providing a broad spectrum of sustainable project management, procurement and HR Services to development partners in the following areas:
- Governance and Rule of Law;
- Provision of Health Sector Strengthening in response to the COVID-19 Pandemic;
- Infrastructure - Design development and Construction Project/Contract Management;
- Technical Assistance;
- Partner Personnel HR Management;
- Project Management
Project Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the project(s) and provides services to the different donors, partners and beneficiaries. Project Manager acts on behalf of the Project Board to manage the project on an ongoing basis during the Implementation Stage. The main responsibility of a Project Manager is to ensure that the project outputs are delivered within the specified project tolerances of time, cost, quality, scope, risk and benefits. He/she is expected to meet the organization’s performance and delivery goals.
Project Manager has the authority to assign, as per the Project Plan, work packages to Team Managers and approve deliverables produced by them.
Project Manager is responsible for creating the Implementation Plan, using the Project Initiation Document (PID), Legal Agreement and having a thorough understanding of the terms, conditions, and the respective roles and responsibilities of the partners/stakeholders, to ensure the project(s) outputs are capable of meeting the business cases for both UNOPS and the partner(s). Success of the project(s) and hence of the Project Manager will be based on the defined Success Criteria.
The PM must be able to undertake independently, the following tasks:
Summary of functions:
- Project Delivery and Performance
- Monitoring and reporting
- Stakeholder engagement
- Quality assurance
- Knowledge management and innovation
- Personnel management
Project Delivery and Performance
- Develop, complete and update implementation plan(s) (If applicable);
- Implement the approved plan (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the Project Board;
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life span;
- Manage the production of the required outputs, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary;
- Ensure that quality of work packages and deliverables complies with the quality requirements defined in the Implementation Plan;
- Liaise with any external suppliers or account managers;
- Manage acceptance and delivery of work packages;
- Monitor project progress ensuring that work packages are being executed properly';
- Control project and work packages changes;
- Accept goods, services or works delivered by suppliers;
- Lead contract management duties including supplier performance evaluation;
- Act as the Employer’s Representative within the FIDIC works contracts;
- Identify, and anticipate in a timely manner, potential risks and issues and advises mitigating measures to senior management/ Project Board so that maximum benefit to partner(s) and other stakeholders is achieved;
- Identify and report to the supervisor potential business opportunities for UNOPS.
- Comply with all organizational policy and specifically the Project Management Manual;
- Prepare/adapt all relevant plans for approval by the Project Board;
- Manage the reporting obligations defined in the Legal Agreement(s) and in the Implementation Plan;
- Draft the requirements definitions for procurement processes. Approving requisitions and requests for non-purchase order payments; Evaluating submissions received, if appointed to the evaluation team. (if applicable);
- Ensure maintenance of the project files and lessons learned are recorded;
- Ensure the development and implementation of project financial management guidelines and control mechanisms, in conformity with UNOPS rules and regulations. (if applicable);
- Manage budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time;
- Understand and manage UNOPS overheads, allocable charges, and related corporate charges as they apply to the project;
- Understand the unique structures of the UN and budget appropriately for personnel;
- Manage expenditures against the budget (based on accurate financial reports);
- Where the Project Manager has no delegation as a committing officer, s/he retains these responsibilities and will monitor and instruct/request others to carry out the relevant commitments and disbursements;
- For project closure purposes, provide a formal handover of the project to the closure manager;
- Support project audit activities, including planning, preparation and coordination during the audits and follow up on audit observations/recommendations.
Monitoring and reporting
- Prepare and issue regular project and/or financial reports in accordance with Partner and UNOPS requirements for reporting;
- Regularly review project status, evaluating performance criteria (scope, cost, schedule and quality);
- Maintain diaries and progress reports as required by the organization’s standard procedures;
- Provide routine oversight and analysis of delivery data within the dashboard system;
- Ensure all project team members track and regularly update milestones and targets for the duration of projects' life span.
- Develop stakeholder profiles and facilitate the formulation of stakeholder engagement strategies;
- Establish solid working relationships with the Project Board (Executive, Senior Users and Senior Suppliers), client and key stakeholders;
- Enable the formulation of project communications plans. Coordinate internal project communications. Monitor the effectiveness of project communications;
- Coordinate stakeholder engagement and communication, ensuring effective timing and interdependency management of communications. Ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover outputs.
- Work with internal stakeholders to ensure projects comply with audit requirements;
- Work with procurement/purchasing staff to ensure effective interface with suppliers' quality systems;
- Coordinate quality reviews of project documents and deliverables;
- Provide quality control for management outputs (project documents, reports, etc.).
Knowledge management and innovation
- Encourage routine and effective capacity building activities are conducted in order to build the long-term and sustainable capacity of staff;
- Actively interact with other Project Managers and the wider PM community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practices;
- Contribute to the oversight of lessons learned procedures, ensuring that lessons learnt are shared in a timely and appropriate manner. Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice;
- Research and logging of lessons learned throughout the project life span;
- Provide feedback to Practice Groups on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies.
- Lead and motivate the project management team;
- Ensure that behavioral expectations of team members are established;
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted fairly, accurately and timely;
- Select, recruit and train a team as required and take into account gender parity and diversity objectives;
- Ensure safety and security for all project personnel and comply with UNDSS standards;
- Create, foster and role model a culture of respect and zero tolerance for discrimination, abuse of authority, harassment, sexual harassment and sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Ensure accountability for actions and perform duties in accordance with protection mechanisms and action plans, as expected by UNOPS policies, standards and commitments.
- Advanced University Degree in preferably Project Management, Business Administration, International Relations, Political Science/Security Management/Development Studies, or other relevant discipline is required.
- University Degree (bachelor’s degree / first level) with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant professional experience in Project Management, Business Administration, International Relations, Political Science/Security Management/Development Studies, or other relevant discipline, may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
b. Work Experience
- Minimum of 5 years (or more depending on academic credentials) of progressive experience in Programme/ Project Management, is required;
- Experience in work with the international aid development sector, including the UN system, international NGOs and International Donors is desirable;
- Demonstrated competence in all aspects of project planning, monitoring, implementation, and management, including application of all aspects of results-based management/project cycle management is desired;
- Proven capacity to interact with a variety of stakeholders, including non-governmental partners, and other UN agencies and international donors is desirable;
- Previous experience with international organization/s and/or UN in a humanitarian and/ or conflict/post-conflict settings is required;
- High proficiency with computers, and other software/ platforms related to the position's field of expertise. Good experience in working with the G-Suite platform including, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs, and Slides is desired.
Fluency in Albanian and English is required, Serbian is desirable;
Prince 2 certification (Foundation/Practitioner) would be highly desirable.