As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives. It provides viable, forward-looking solutions for political, economic, ecological and social development in a globalised world. GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis. For more information see: www.giz.de
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, project Fit for Jobs is seeking to fill the position of:
Youth Employment Promotion
The overall purpose of the post
The Republic of Kosovo is one of the poorest countries in Europe and so far, only slightly integrated into the global economy. The employment rate is 28.2%, out of which 13.3% women and 43.0% men, the lowest in Europe. Youth unemployment stands at 48.9%. The challenges of young jobseekers have been exacerbated by the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. At the same time, many vacancies in the private sector cannot be filled due to the lack of adequate skills required by the labour market. Insufficient employment opportunity of Kosovar youth causes a shortage of skilled labour and undermines the chances for economic growth in Kosovo. Education does not provide young people with the skills and competencies required in the labour market. Moreover, the current labour market measures are not geared towards the specific needs of young people, women, minorities, and returnees, as well as the needs of employers. The relevant institutions continue showing a lack of necessary capacities at all levels of the education sector to achieve the development objectives of the Kosovar Government and to converge towards European standards in terms of inclusive and qualitative education matching labour market needs. Moreover, the coordination and cooperation between institutions and stakeholders working in employment and education at the central and local levels are insufficient.
Against this background, the German Government through GIZ Kosovo’s “Fit for Jobs” project aims to
increase employment of Kosovar youth by improving the quality and labour market orientation of vocational education and training, career guidance, and active labour market measures like job search services. The project operates in four fields of actions that include:
- Facilitating the transition from lower secondary schools to vocational education and training
- Promoting the systemic involvement of the private sector in vocational education and training
- Anchoring the labour market orientation of (vocational) education in the respective reform policies and strategies
- Improving the quality of Labour Market Services for young people (18 – 29) in Kosovo.
The junior advisor will be part of the fourth field of action, where he/she will closely work with the partner institutions to improve the quality of labour market services.
Main task and responsibilities
- Assistance in the planning, implementation and monitoring of the project activities including in rural areas in Kosovo, in close consultation with the GIZ project team and counterparts
- Organization and participation in meetings and workshops as scheduled
- Facilitation and documentation of workshops, round tables, seminars and meetings with stakeholders
- Support to the senior advisor to improve the capacity development of local structures to implement and monitor employment promoting and youth engagement measures
- Assistance to establish and maintain good working relationships with private and public stakeholders in employment
- Assistance in the organization of the local stakeholder meetings involving youth and employment structures as well as the private sector
- Organization of local stakeholder meetings on the municipal level
- Assistance in increasing the visibility and outreach of employment opportunities and services provided by public employment structures
- Support in the preparation and implementation of job fairs
- Researching on other activities on employment and ensuring that the GIZ project team receives current information about ongoing developments on the local and regional levels
- Assistance in preparing the appropriate input for various intervention reports, including annual reports
- Support senior experts in monitoring different employment measures as implemented by public employment structures
- Support to senior experts in providing capacity development measures to the partner organizations concerning outsourcing of services
- Support to the team regarding further activities in accordance with the set plan of operations.
Required qualifications, competencies and experience
- University degree in economic and/or social sciences, business administration, international relations or a related field.
- At least 2-3 years of professional experience in a comparable position, ideally in the field of youth employment promotion
- Good knowledge of local employment structures in Kosovo
- Working experience and/or cooperation with public institutions (e.g., municipalities), youth structures and networks and/or private sector associations or enterprises in Kosovo is an asset.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Very good knowledge of English; knowledge of German is an added value
- Strong analytical, networking, interpersonal, and organisational and writing skills
- Good knowledge of the strategic framework of employment promotion in Kosovo
- Ability to keep up good partner relations and keeping good communication
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to provide well-structured written reports
- Readiness for frequent travelling and working in the whole area of Kosovo
- Integrity, flexibility and motivation are important traits for this and other positions in this project.
Location: GIZ Office-Pristina
Expected start date: February 2022
How to apply?
Interested and, suitably qualified and experienced candidates are invited to submit their electronic application in English, in PDF version, to email@example.com
- CV (Europass template is recommended)
- Letter of motivation
- Diploma(s), references/recommendations
- Subject of the email: Name & Surname – Junior Advisor for Youth Employment
Promotion– GIZ Fit for Jobs project
Applications that do not meet these rules will not be considered!
Deadline for the application: 28th of December 2021
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited to the next stage of recruitment.
GIZ encourages female candidates, candidates from ethnic communities as well as candidates with disability to apply.