Host entity UNMIK
Country Kosovo (UNSC 1244)
Location, Country Mitrovica (KOS)
Language skills English
Expected Starting Date Immediate
Duration until 30 June 2022 with possiblity of extension
Application deadline 23 July 2021
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Office of Rule of Law/Justice and Corrections Section (OROL/JCS), Mitrovica Unit, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Gather information and report on the activity of Kosovo’s rule of law institutions with the special focus on the Northern Kosovo.
- Gather information and report on the rule of law activities of international partners with a special focus on the activity of EU in Kosovo.
- Conduct legal research and prepare legal opinions on a variety of issues relating to the justice and corrections sector in Kosovo in general based on the applicable law, international law and international human rights law.
- Develop and review programmatic activities projects’ and assist in reporting thereof.
- Participate, take minutes and report on the Rule of Law Civil Society Coordination Meeting.
- Liaise and maintain relations with local and international actors represented in Kosovo for the provision of support in the justice and corrections sector.
- Participate and contribute to the monitoring and reporting of the Mitrovica Regional Office on rule of law related matters of major concern to Office of Rule of Law/Justice and Corrections Section and the Mission in general.
- Participate in the processing of international wanted notices.
- Perform such other duties as may be required in furtherance of the work of the OROL/JCS and the implementation of the Mission’s mandate.
Required degree level
Master degree or equivalent
Educational additional comments
Master’s degree or equivalent in law is required.
A Bachelor’s degree in law in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of Master’s degree.
At least three years of progressively responsible professional legal experience is required.
A minimum of one year of professional experience in a transitional, developmental or post conflict setting, or in an international governmental or non-governmental organization, is also required.
An understanding of the Kosovo judicial system and/or the applicable law is desirable. Experience in international legal assistance is desired.
Computer skills: Windows, Microsoft office applications.
Skills: Excellent drafting skills to prepare substantive professional documents. Good strategic and analytic capabilities are also required.