Position Title: Consultant (Pashto and/or Dari Interpreter / Cultural mediator)
Duty station: Ferizaj, Kosovo
Type of Appointment Consultancy, 3 Months with possibility of extension
Estimated start date: As soon as possible
Reference Code: CFCV-2021/XK1019
II. Organizational Context and Scope
Established in 1951, the International Organization for Migration (IOM), the UN Migration Agency, is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
As part of its activities in Kosovo, IOM assists in providing protection-sensitive responses to the temporary stay of Afghan evacuees.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the Site Operation Coordinator the incumbent will be responsible for providing interpretation, referral and cultural mediation services. The incumbent will be assigned to the following tasks:
III. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Providing interpretation/translation services from English to Pashto and/or Dari and vice versa for migrants and IOM staff as well as service providers, as requested.
- Facilitating communication among migrants, service providers and relevant IOM staff, located at the camp and outside.
- Assisting in implementation and monitoring of IOM activities as requested, in particular assisting in delivering services to migrants in a culturally sensitive way and sensitizing the project team of any cultural issues that may affect the implementation of activities.
- Assisting in identifying needs of migrants and referring them to adequate services.
- Complying with the IOM Standards of Conduct and other received guidance including those relating to confidentiality and data protection principles.
- Immediately informing the supervisors of any problems or issues related to the daily work and make suggestions on how to improve efficiency and client services.
- Performing other duties as may be assigned by the Site Operation Coordinator or Chief of Mission.
IV. Required Qualifications and Experience
- Academic degree in Dari/Pashto language, or substituted by proven work experience in the language;
- Proven experience in interpretation services and cultural mediation.
- Desirable experience in providing assistance to vulnerable persons and in the provision of protection services;
- Experience in liaising with local institutions, communities and service providers;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely;
- Good level of computer literacy;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills;
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results, respect for diversity, creative thinking.
Required (specify the required knowledge)
Fluency in English, Pashto and/or Dari and local language/s (oral and written)
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Method of application:
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Kosovo will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their CV (Curriculum Vitae) and Cover Letter to IOMPristina@iom.int by 25th of October 2021 midnight at the latest, referring to
CFCV-2021/XK1019 in the subject line.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: From 19/10/2021 – 25/10/2021