Open recruitment (advertised)
Advertisement end date:12/13/2021
Description of assignment title Human Rights Officer
Assignment country Kosovo
Expected start date 01/01/2022
Sustainable Development Goal PEACE, JUSTICE AND STRONG INSTITUTIONS
Volunteer category International UN Volunteer Specialist
DoA reserved for persons with disabilities No
Host entity UNMIK
Duration 6 months (with possibility of extension)
Number of assignments 1
Duty stations Mitrovica
Mission and objectives
The primary and overarching objective of UNMIK has been the promotion of security, stability and respect for human rights in Kosovo through engagement with all communities in Kosovo, as well as with regional and international actors, including EULEX and OSCE.
Under the direct supervision of the Human Rights Officer and the overall supervision of the Chief of the Human Rights Office, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Gathers information and reports on the human rights situation in the area of responsibility, including through close collaboration with other United Nations entities, civil society and the communities.
- Drafts a variety of reports, briefings and other types of documents relating to human rights.
- Assists the Chief Human Rights Office and Human Rights Officers to research, coordinate and prepare reports to European and International Human Rights mechanisms on behalf of UNMIK.
- Contributes to the identification of human rights issues/problems through research and analysis and timely preparation of reports.
- Participates in the establishment and maintenance of contacts with local authorities, international organisations and civil society in the area of responsibility.
- Reviews human rights issues and participates in discussions with other human rights officers on the integration of these issues into political, humanitarian and economic efforts and programmes.
- Contributes to the development of initiatives to strengthen the response to immediate and long range human rights problems.
- Contributes to the integration of gender perspective in all activities.
- Assists in all aspects of project implementation when required. Performs other related duties as required.
Candidate must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.