Justice Activity in Kosovo
Recruitment For Deputy Chief of Party
Chemonics seeks a candidate for the position of Deputy Chief of Party for the USAID-funded Kosovo Justice Activity. The purpose of the Justice Activity is a more responsive justice system capable of providing people access to quality services and multiple means to solve their justice needs and every day legal problems to generate greater public trust in the justice system and the rule of law. This activity builds on USAID’s previous projects in Kosovo and lessons learned by USAID/Kosovo, local partners, and other donors.
The Activity is organized by three integrated objectives, 1) Quality and Accessibility of Justice Services Improved, 2) Citizen Understanding, Engagement, and Trust of the Justice System Improved, and 3) Effective Innovations in the Justice Sector Developed. Community-based activities under Objective 2 anchor the Justice Activity in Kosovo by defining the problems to be solved under Objectives 1 and 3.
The Deputy Chief of Party is a key member of Justice Activity, supporting the Chief of Party in management and leadership responsibilities. Further, the deputy chief of party shall provide technical expertise to the Justice Activity in Kosovo, advising on strategic matters, supervising technical staff, and assisting the chief of party to ensure the project delivers USAID’s expected results. When the chief of party is away from post, the deputy chief of party will serve as acting chief of party, demonstrating sound judgment and the ability to independently project continuity during the chief of party’s absence.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
As Deputy Chief of Party, the employee is responsible for the following principal duties and responsibilities:
- Contribute to the technical leadership, management, and direction of the program.
- Contribute to the program strategy, ensuring activities are technically sound, contextually appropriate, and innovative.
- Provide leadership, management, and technical direction for one of the integrated objectives
- Manage and oversee technical staff under one of the integrated objectives
- Support management and oversight of local subcontractors and consultants to achieve expected results
- Maintain productive relationships with USAID, governmental institutions, and local stakeholders to ensure effective collaboration, coordination, and engagement.
- Contribute to program work planning, compliance, and operations
- Serve as acting Chief of Party as needed
Required Skills and Qualifications
The position requires an individual with:
- Advanced degree in law, public administration, or another related field.
- Demonstrated experience in judicial reform sector, including in areas such as justice administration, access to justice, and institution strengthening. Strong knowledge of justice institutions’ leadership and priorities. Prior work for USAID or other donor- funded rule of law programs.
- Minimum of five years of senior project management experience on donor-funded projects, especially those focused on judicial reform in the Balkans.
- Record of designing, managing, implementing, and monitoring and evaluating complex donor supported projects.
- Demonstrated experience leading and supervising technical experts to implement justice sector activities
- Demonstrated experience promoting access to justice for vulnerable and under-served populations, including but not limited to women and youth.
- History of developing local capacity, working closely with institutions at national and local levels, especially courts.
- Strategic planning, management, and budgeting skills
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, including the ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Fluency in English required, proficiency in Albanian or Serbian preferred.
Please send electronic applications, including ONLY a cover letter and CV to: email@example.com no later than September 30, 2021. Please write “Deputy Chief of Party” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, meaning positions may be filled prior to the closing date. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.