SCOPE OF WORK
TRANSPARENT, EFFECTIVE AND ACCOUNTABLE MUNICIPALITIES (TEAM) ACTIVITY
Proposed Personnel TBD
Position Procurement Expert
Period of PerformanceOn/About (From – To) June 1, 2019 December 31, 2019
LEVEL of EFFORT STTA
Base of Operations Pristina, Kosovo
position reports to Component One Lead
- Project Background:
Through the Kosovo TEAM Activity, the DAI is supporting USAID/Kosovo to address corruption at the municipal level by increasing the transparency and effectiveness of municipal procurement systems.
TEAM is a five-year USAID-funded anti-corruption project that began on 11 January, 2017. The project is designed to improve procurement fairness, transparency, and oversight by providing comprehensive assistance across Kosovo’s 38 municipalities to improve accountability for public procurement.
USAID Transparent, Effective and Accountable Municipalities activity focuses on the following three program components:
- Develop, refine and roll out models for transparent and accountable municipalities;
- Engage the central level in addressing municipal corruption within the procurement process; and
- Enable civil society to track and expose corruption.
USAID Transparent, Effective and Accountable Municipalities supported municipalities and developed manuals to support procurement activities. USAID TEAM will continue this support in focus and second-tier municipalities.
Preparation of technical specifications was identified as one of weaknesses in the procurement cycle. USAID TEAM intends to develop and deliver workshops (practical trainings) to focus municipalities on improving technical specifications related to procurement activities.
Also, USAID TEAM intends to produce Standard Operation Procedure (SOP) for all procurement implementation procedures. This SOP will cover the full procurement cycle, starting from the initiation of the procurement request up to contract signature and will cover all procedures open procedure, restricted procedure, quotation, and the procedure for minimal value contracts.
- Role’s Purpose:
2.1 Procurement expert will develop materials and deliver workshop on Technical Specifications of municipal procurement activities. Expert will prepare gap analysis for proper and good technical specifications from requesting units and procurement activities and develop practical training materials for improving technical specifications and integration into procurement cycle.
2.2. Procurement expert, will also Develop and introduce standard operating procedure (SOP). Expert will work with USAID TEAM and PPRC to produce SOP for all procurement implementation procedures. This SOP will cover the full procurement cycle, starting from the initiation of the procurement request up to contract signature and will cover all procedures open procedure, restricted procedure, quotation, and the procedure for minimal value procurement.
2.3 Procurement Expert will provide mentoring and on-the-job technical assistance to second-tier municipalities on procurement cycle, with emphasis on contract management.
2.4 Procurement Expert will support Cross cutting project activities, including activities related to project-contract management cycle, and mentoring technical assistance on procurement cycle.
- Objectives and Duties
The objectives and duties of this position is to provide support to the USAID TEAM project in undertaking the following:
- Coach, mentor, and contribute to the design and lead of capacity building efforts with Public Procurement staff and project team under the leadership of the Component One Lead;
- Contribute to and oversee monitoring and evaluation of municipal level activities, including data collection, analysis on public procurement, in municipalities;
- Collaborate with the project team to identify successes and challenges in technical activities;
- Analyze current gaps for proper and good technical specifications from requesting units and procurement activities;
- Develop practical training materials for improving technical specifications and integration into procurement cycle;
- Deliver workshops on Technical specifications;
- Analyze current procurement cycle, legislation and propose draft SOP content;
- Contact main stakeholders and identify required standards and formats;
- Develop procurement Standard Operating Procedure;
- Assess existing contract management capabilities of five focus municipalities and prepare report with recommendations/scenarios for improvement
- Present, discuss with stakeholders and reflect comments in updated modules;
- Present the final versions to project and PPRC;
- Analysis of NAO procurement audit recommendations;
- Analysis of recommendations from C3 - CSO/NGO procurement reports;
- Other project issues in the field of public procurement;
- Provide mentoring and on-the-job technical assistance to second tier municipalities;
- Provide mentoring and on-the-job technical assistance on addressing procurement NAO and IA recommendations and CSO/NGO recommendations
- Practical workshop materials for technical specification;
- Delivered Workshops for technical specification;
- Draft procurement Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) content;
- Procurement Standard Operating Procedure;
- Present SOP to the Project, Procurement Collegium and PPRC;
- Assessment report on existing contract management capabilities of five focus municipalities and
- Final report with list of activities, findings and recommendations for improvement.
- QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- University degree in Procurement, Economy, Law, engineering or related fields;
- Experience in drafting training materials;
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in the field of public procurement;
- Experience/Knowledge on public sector legislation related to procurement;
- Proven experience in coaching, mentoring and capacity building;
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of stakeholders, including municipal counterparts, partners, the project team and the public;
- Good management, analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills; and
- Knowledge of English language and Serbian language is an advantage.
- How to Apply
Interested individuals must be submitted their detailed CV outlining their educational qualifications, motivation letter and other documents: certificates, diplomas and letter of reference if available. Mentioned documents should be submitted in electronic format to [email protected] no later than 4 p.m. Kosovo local time on May 27, 2019.This engagement is combination of partial office and desk research activity.
 The focus municipalities are Prishtina, Peja, Vushtrri, Gjilan and Gjakova.
 Second-tier municipalities are Podujeva, Lipjan, Suhareka, Istog, Ferizaj and Prizren.