The National Center for State Courts (NCSC) is inviting applications from qualified candidates with a proven commitment to the rule of law for the position of Legal Advisor under the Justice System Strengthening Program (JSSP). JSSP is a four-and-a-half-year program funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development and managed by Millennium DPI Partners to improve Kosovo’s rule of law and good governance by strengthening the independence, professionalism, efficiency, and accountability of the justice system.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party or his designee, the incumbent will be responsible for coordinating program development and implementation under JSSP Program Components 1 and 2. The incumbent will be expected to assist in drafting, reviewing and commenting on primary and secondary legislation, formulate policy options and choices, undertake legal research and draft legal memoranda. The position will primarily support Component 2 which focuses on continuing education, judgment writing and publication, ethics and discipline, and support to the Constitutional Court. The position is Pristina-based with periodic travel within Kosovo.
Candidates for the position of LEGAL ADVISOR should be able to:
- Design and oversee program implementation under the JSSP activities to improve the legal and policy framework governing the judiciary in
- Serve as a legal advisor for project activities, prepare research summaries, review and draft commentaries of primary and secondary legislation, draft legal memoranda and formulate policy recommendations.
- Design and oversee implementation, monitoring, and reporting of activities to strengthen the efficiency and effectiveness of the administration of justice and enhance professionalism and accountability of judicial institutions and
- Deliver technical assistance and policy guidance to KJC Committees and Secretariat to support restructuring to improve work processes and oversight, policy, and rulemaking functions
- Work with relevant counterparts such as the KJC, its committees, and working groups to implement program activities in accordance with the work planand Monitoring & Evaluation
- Act as a liaison with the KJC,the Secretariat of the KJC, Basic Courts, the Constitutional Court, the Kosovo Judicial Academy, the Kosovo Bar Association,and other justice-related institutions, and civil society organizations, as
- Attend, participate in, and/or report on formal and informal meetings with counterparts, including members of the KJC, KJC Secretariat, judges, lawyers, court legal clerks, court personnel, and related groups, and partners, including relevant donor-funded
- Conduct and/or monitor training in areas relevant to project activities, in collaboration with colleagues and
- Prepare, or assist in preparing, annual program work plan, implementation schedules, performance monitoring plan, policy papers and position papers, and periodic reports required by USAID, including quarterly and annual progress
- Do such other tasks as assigned by the Chief of Party or Deputy Chief of Party from time to
Candidates for the position of LEGAL ADVISOR should possess the following qualifications:
- University degree in law required. LLM degree
- Seven to ten years of experience in legal sector reform, preferably working on donor-funded legal or justice system reform projects in
- Knowledge of organizational and procedural laws governing the work of the KJC and the
- Past experience working on issues related to legal writing and reasoning and/or the Constitutional Court will be viewed
- Past experience working to connect civil society and justice sector organizations will be viewed favorably.
- Strong research background and excellent writing and communication skills. Demonstrated capacity to prepare legal documents, memoranda, and
- Strong organizational skills, rigorous attention to detail, and problem-solving abilities needed to perform effectively in a demanding
- Demonstrated ability in establishing and maintain excellent working relationship with
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team to achieve complex results under strict
- Demonstrated commitment to ethics, transparency, and accountability in program
- Excellent spoken and written English and Albanian, Serbian
Apply Today: Interested applicants should apply by submitting their CV, a writing sample in English, and a cover letter via email, with “Legal Advisor” as the subject line, to NCSC at [email protected] by Wednesday, July 24 at 16:00.
Due to the volume of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted concerning this solicitation and any attempts to contact USAID or JSSP will result in immediate disqualification. Late applications will not be considered. Salary will be based on qualifications and experience.
Organizational Profile: NCSC is a leading provider of technical assistance, training, and technology to strengthen legal systems in the U.S. and around the world. Founded 40 years ago by the leadership of the legal community in the U.S., NCSC offers its experience to advance legal systems and equal justice for all in emerging democracies around the world.