Decentralisation and Municipal Support (DEMOS) is a project of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), co-financed by Sweden and Norway, implemented by HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation-Kosovo. Currently our project team is looking for a:
The Technical Advisor shall conduct the following, but not limited, activities in close cooperation with Ministry of Finance and DEMOS designated staff members:
- Provide high quality and comprehensive technical support to the Minister and the Budget Department in the area of Local Government Finance with focus on Municipal Performance Grant and Incidental Funds;
- Offer technical support in development of new tools for Local Government finance;
- Provide drafting assistance and review of sub-legal acts relevant to Law on Local Government Finance, including the Ministry’s regulations and administrative instructions, relevant to this assignment;
- Support the Minister and the Budget Department within Ministry, and advice on matters, issues relevant to public finance management and local finances;
- Engagement with Minister’s Cabinet to co-ordinate the development of policies and legal acts with SDC, DEMOS II and relevant stakeholders;
- Participate in meetings with relevant stakeholders, take notes and prepare briefs relevant to this assignment;
- Participate, as requested by the Minister, in relevant Ministry working groups, and/or theme groups, relevant to this assignment or as requested or needed;
- Prepare drafts for the Minister on matters related to issues relevant to finances and policy issues as requested or needed
- Other tasks as assigned by the Minister and/or Head of Budget Department.
In addition, the Technical Advisor will closely work with the Cabinet and the Ministry team, DEMOS project and the local and international experts, that will support the Ministry with the legislation drafting in relation to finances of local government.
Qualifications and Skills
- Master degree in finance, economics, political sciences or areas related to public finance management
- A PhD in the abovementioned fields is preferred and considered an asset
- Fluency in Albanian, English and/or Serbian
- Academic specialisation and/or professional certification is desired
General Professional Experience
- Five (5) years of demonstrated experience in finance and/or public finance management
- At least three (3) years of experience as a consultant and/or advisor in relevant ministry/central government
- Experience working with public institutions (local and central)
Specific Professional Experience
- Extensive experience in policy development in the area of local finances
- Expertise in legal review and legal drafting in the area of public finance
- Experience with Kosovo finance system (grants, own source revenues, etc)
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Analysis on municipal budget planning/allocations and execution
- Experience in conducting assessments/drafting documents related to local finances and/or public finance management
The position is full time, for initial assignment of six months from October 2020 to March 2021, with possible extension, and will be based in Ministry of Finance offices in Pristina. Please send your latest CV (indicating phone number) with two reference persons (of which one from an international organisation) until 16 September 2020, 16:00 CET by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only short-listed candidates may be invited for an interview.
The successful candidate may be required to present copies of diplomas, certificates and other documents. HELVETAS provides equal employment opportunities for all candidates and encourages applications from female and non-majority communities in Kosovo.