Spatial/Urban Planning Advisor with focus on climate action
Deadline for applications: 11 March 2022
Duty station: Prishtina/Pristina
Issued on 25 February 2022
Functional title: Spatial/Urban Planning Advisor with focus on climate action
Duty station: Prishtina with travel to Mitrovica South and other Kosovo Municipalities
Contract type: Service Contract
Duration of assignment: 6 working months (with possibility for extension)
Closing date for applications: 11 March 2022
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the lead United Nations agency for cities and human settlements. The agency is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all and sustainable development. UN-Habitat, being the focal point for all urbanization and human settlement matters within the UN system, has a role in delivering the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, adopted by Member States in 2015, specifically goal 11: make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
UN-Habitat’s Strategic Plan for the years 2020 – 2023 reinforces UN-Habitat’s position as the global centre of excellence on sustainable urban development, offering solutions that help seize the opportunities presented by urbanisation, while bringing about transformational change for the benefit of millions of people, ensuring that no one and no place is left behind. The Strategic Plan lays out a recalibrated vision and mission, and a sharpened focus. UN-Habitat proposes to serve Member States, sub-national and local governments, and other key urban actors in the pursuit of four mutually reinforcing and integrated domains of change:
a. Reduced poverty and spatial inequality in urban and rural communities;
b. Enhanced shared prosperity of cities and regions;
c. Strengthened climate action and improved urban environment; and
d. Effective urban crisis prevention and response.
UN-Habitat has been actively partnering with Kosovo1 institutions in the field of local governance, spatial planning and municipal administration since 1999. Kosovo is UN-Habitat’s longest standing field programme in the Western Balkans region and Europe. Continuous interventions went to building capacities for efficient management of all 38 local governments through capacity building and capital investment programmes and on the job assistance at central and local levels. UN-Habitat’s Inclusive Development Programme is financed by the Swedish Development Cooperation Agency and is jointly implemented with central Ministries, PAX, Community Building Mitrovica, New Social Initiative and concerned local authorities in Leposavic/Leposaviq, Mitrovica South, Mitrovica North, Zubin Potok, and Zvecan/Zvecan as well as Skenderaj/Srbica and Vushtrri/Vucitrn. Through these combined interventions in Kosovo, a more participatory and sustainable urban planning system has been developed, anchored and institutionalized.
For general information on UN-Habitat in Kosovo refer to the website http://www.unhabitat-kosovo.org
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The general purpose of the post is to work together with municipal planners, municipal planning teams, central level planners, civil society organizations and key stakeholders in drafting climate responsive spatial and urban plans and policy documents as well as undertaking other interventions related to integration of climate change into spatial and urban planning. The incumbent should also liaise with central level institutions in matters related to climate change, spatial and urban planning, as required.
SKILL SETS REQUIRED
A range of skills will be required in: spatial and urban planning; project management; development control; transport and mobility planning; urban design; climate and environmental planning and management; infrastructure planning; local economic development planning; housing policy and finance; disaster risk assessment and management; stakeholder and civil society participation; ability to collect, record and interpret data; ability to interpret legislation and to provide guidance for its enforcement; and legislative framework relating to planning and a good working knowledge of the adopted Law on Spatial Planning as well as future planned legislation in this area and in climate change. The Spatial/Urban Planning Advisor is expected to mentor employees/ contractors under his/ her responsibility and strengthen the skills, experience and knowledge of their partners through a variety of means but primarily involving advisory services, learning-by-doing, side by side in-service training methods, and experience sharing.
Under the guidance of the UN-Habitat Kosovo Head of Office and Chief Technical Advisor, the Spatial/Urban Planning Advisor with focus on climate action will be responsible for performing the following main tasks:
- Coordinate, advise and supervise municipal climate action and spatial planning related activities and office team consisting of dedicated consultants, spatial planning associates, interns and volunteers – as appropriate;
- Provide advisory services, technical on-the-job assistance and guidance to the concerned Mayor/s, municipal planners and municipal planning bodies, on a daily basis, using a climate responsive planning process.
- Provide technical support and advice in the formulation and drafting of Climate Action Plans (CAPs), Spatial and Urban Plans as applicable, and for related participatory processes.
- Provide support for data collection and required mapping.
- Facilitate the integration of climate change mitigation, adaptation and environmental aspects into municipal planning activities, including promotion of low carbon cities and urban nature-based solutions.
- Assist in strengthening the skills and experience of counterparts, institution building of municipal environment and planning units, also through training delivery.
- Promote dialogue among local authorities and civil society and other key stakeholders.
- Provide substantive inputs to ongoing work at central level on developing concepts for implementation of laws concerning climate change, environment and spatial planning in partner municipalities and general planning policy development.
- Contribute to knowledge-management, communication and outreach activities of the programme.
- Act as a liaison person between the programme and municipal counterparts, as necessary.
- Lead or undertake tasks in other partner Municipalities of the UN-Habitat Kosovo programme, as required.
- Assist the implementation of all project/operational strategies and activities and in the development of the portfolio by collecting data or conducting research that contributes to current/ new project activities and by contributing to project proposals while identifying and working with potential partners
- Provide feedback to employee/s under direct supervision, and ensure regular performance evaluation.
- Assist with translation and interpretation, both verbal and written, when required by the CTA. Provide language quality checks of written materials.
- Provide monthly progress reports and inputs to progress reports for the Prishtina/ Pristina office.
- Provide logistical and administrative support and perform any other functions and tasks which may be required by the nature of the programme’s activities.
The work shall be performed from the municipality of Prishtina. Transport to and from work will be the staff member’s responsibility. Travel to other partner municipalities, namely Mitrovica South, will be covered by the programme.
Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Ability to conduct data collection and technical assessment using various methods, including field missions and interviews. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct research and analysis. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Communication: Excellent and effective written and oral skills; ability to persuade people with varying points of view and to present information in a concise and accurate manner, ability to clearly communicate links between the organizations. Planning and Organizing: Proven ability to plan, coordinate and monitor own work and that of others. Ability to work under pressure and uses time efficiently. Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjust priorities as required. Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by valuing others ideas and expertise and is willing to learn from others. Creativity: Strong conceptual thinking. Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches, takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”, and offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs. Can easily develop clear plans in contexts with limited information and datasets. Finds ways to extract and combine data and information to create base maps.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Education and experience
- Advanced University degree (masters Level) in regional/ urban planning, climate change or urban environment. A university degree in any relevant fields to sustainable urban development in combination with four additional years of qualifying work-experience in regional/ urban planning, climate change or urban environment, may be acceptable in lieu of the required advanced university degree;
- At least five years professional practical experience in related field in Kosovo
- English is the working language of UN-Habitat Kosovo Office; very good command of English, Albanian and Serbian is required – reading, writing and speaking;
- Good knowledge and understanding of best practices within the field of urban climate action and integration of climate change and environment into urban and spatial planning. International experience would be an advantage;
- Proven experience with innovative participatory planning approaches and modern planning techniques; understanding of European trends and concepts in environmental planning;
- Demonstrated experience in training design and delivery and institutional capacity building;
- Good knowledge of environmental/natural resources principles and standards;
- Familiar with principles of sustainable development, integrated planning, strategic environmental assessment and other instruments for environmental integration and management;
- Experience in working municipalities and with a wide range of actors;
- Capable of working in a team and undertaking initiative to ensure smooth relations and open communication within the team and with partners;
- Good analytical, solution defining, creative and interpersonal skills;
- Computer skill is a requirement; working knowledge of GIS will be advantage;
- Valid driving license and the ability to obtain a UN driver’s license.
The candidate should be:
- Familiar with, and committed to the goals of UN-Habitat
- Willing to take responsibility, act professionally at all times, and make sure tasks are fully completed
- Be willing to work across the entire partner municipalities geographical area, including temporary placements at other field offices
- Able to innovate and initiate activities from scratch
- Able to work under pressure in diverse environments with minimum supervision
- Sensitive to gender issues and issues of concern to vulnerable groups
- Flexible and prepared to pursue goals through teamwork
- Able to meet deadlines for reporting and all project work
- Express enthusiasm and willingness to continue learning new skills and share experiences with other members of the team
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit an email quoting the post title and the duty station to the email address: email@example.com
with the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Cover letter explaining why they are the most suitable for the work
- Completion of a CV in P11 Form which can be downloaded at: http://unhabitat-kosovo.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/p11_form.doc
The CV shall include information on the past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references.
3. Diplomas and copy of Passport or National ID Card.
Deadline for applications: 11 March 2022
UN-Habitat does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org