Shelter and Infrastructure Engineer (National position)
ABOUT the JOB
Overall purpose of the role: Based in the PRN office, the Engineer will work under direct supervision of the DRC Project Manager. The Engineer will be responsible for providing engineering support for shelter interventions in various Municipalities, mainly in Northern Kosovo, including development and design of small-scale interventions, monitoring and quality control of full construction works as well as providing technical advice and progress reporting to DRC Management.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Minor shelter and rehabilitation/Small-scale infrastructure projects in various locations:
- conduct assessments and ensure proper development of the designs, scope of works, technical specifications, bill of quantities, internal cost estimates and other related construction documents prior to implementation in various municipalities;
- Ensure proper documentation is obtained by relevant municipal departments and liaise with relevant departments regarding inspections and standards to be met
- Prepare and/or assess structural calculations for loads in all structure positions: Foundations, columns, beams, slabs including technical specifications and bill of quantities all structural elements (Concrete, Steel)
- Assist in monitoring external Contractors’ compliance with contractual arrangements and building standards applicable in Kosovo
- Liaise with DRC Architect and Supervisor company to coordinate monitoring, identification of issues, progress tracking and quality control of ongoing works
- Coordinate and evaluate construction progress through monitoring/inspection field visits in the project municipalities to ensure that delays and/or problems are properly addressed and as needed propose and initiate remedial actions for compliance;
- Coordinate with Supervisor company to track BoQ expenditures and perform quality control of IPC documentation including measurement books;
- Produce weekly technical progress reports and make recommendations for further improvement;
- Ensure DRC Management is kept informed of all construction activities, delays, and other relevant issues at all time
Monitoring and reporting
- Monitor minor shelter/rehabilitation and construction activities
- Provide Management with analytical support to assess impact of the project interventions and provide support to project monitoring and evaluation;
- Ensure construction activities are on track in the absence of direct supervisor; report daily on important issues that require supervisor feedback and decision-making;
Administration and logistics
- Carry out ad-hoc translation, interpretation, administrative and logistical tasks related to project activities as assigned
- Assist in preparing technical specifications for construction activities in collaboration with Procurement staff
- Any other duties assigned by DRC in order to meet the objectives of the project.
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least 2 years of professional work experience as an Engineer including design, calculations, technical specifications, bill of quantities and supervision of construction sites;
- Experience supervising implementation of construction projects, or experience as construction site manager, desired
- Deep knowledge of specificities of the current local construction market, including vendors of construction materials
- Knowledge of construction methods, materials and regulations
- First Degree in Civil Engineering
- Command of either Albanian or Serbian
- Command of written and spoken English.
- Driving license valid in Kosovo required
- Computer skills: AutoCAD or SketchUp; solid knowledge of MS Office (Word and Excel)
Moreover, all DRC staff must master the following DRC's Core Competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 12 months, including an initial three-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension subject to funding
Band: G (non-management)
Health insurance provided from a local insurance company
Estimated start date: As soon as possible
All applicants must submit an updated CV (no longer than four pages) and a cover letter, both in English.
Applications must be in English and must be submitted exclusively through the online system on https://drc.ngo/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
Closing date for applications: 04/11/2020
If you face any problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com .
Any other communication between applicants or perspective applicants and DRC staff, including but not limited to telephone calls, visits to DRC offices and emails, will result in the applicant being disqualified from the selection process.
Please note that, due to the number of expected applications, you will only be contacted if selected to take part in the next steps of the recruitment process. No confirmation of receipt of your application will be provided.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our websites www.drc.ngo and www.drc-kosovo.org.