The United States Peace Corps program in Kosovo seeks qualified and motivated candidates for the following part-time, limited-term position. Estimated period of performance: 1 January 2022 through December 31, 2022.
Serbian Language & Cross-Cultural Facilitator
The United States Peace Corps is a non-political, non-religious organization, which brings American Volunteers to Kosovo to work alongside counterparts teaching English in schools and working with Municipalities and NGOs on community projects. The Peace Corps is an agency of the United States Government and was founded by President John F. Kennedy in 1961. General information about Peace Corps can be found on www.peacecorps.gov.
The Language and Cross-Cultural Facilitator (LCF) is the primary contact for the planning, implementation and evaluation of the daily language and cultural learning activities of Peace Corps Trainees during the annual 11- week Peace Corps Pre Service Training (PST), and during other language training events. Under the supervision of the Language & Cross-Cultural Coordinator, the Language & Cross-Cultural Facilitator provides language and cross-cultural training using Peace Corps curriculum and methodologies teaching Serbian language to groups of Peace Corps Trainees (PCTs) and Volunteers (PCVs).
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with language lesson planning, online instructional design and instruction throughout the year outside of the PST period to address new content needs and to align training with Peace Corps competency-based training approach.
- Serves as a cultural information resource for trainees, assists with community entry skills and works closely with homestay families and other community members.
- Lives and works fulltime in one of the training villages and is required to follow a five and a half day work-week during pre-service training.
- Additional preparation time and activities in the evenings and on weekends and holidays may be required.
- Teaches in-person classes and serves as an on-site cross-cultural facilitator during training events.
- May be engaged to provide language instruction and evaluation at In-Service Training events, and additional lesson planning and online instructional design work, as needed.
Work Requirements and Guidelines:
- Lives and works in one of the training villages throughout Pre-Service Training. Placement of LCFs in specific sites is under the direction of the Language and Cross-Cultural Coordinator and the Training Manager.
- University degree, or equivalent education or experience in Serbian or English language, linguistics, language education, instructional design or a related field.
- 3+ years of continuous or combined experience in language instruction, training design & delivery, and/or general program administration
- Exposure or experience using technology for online learning and/or online instruction.
- Language Proficiency: C1+ language proficiency (speaking, listening, reading, writing) in English, C2 in Serbian, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) https://www.coe.int/en/web/common-european-framework-reference-languages/table-1-cefr-3.3- common-reference-levels-global-scale
- Experience working with S. Americans is desirable.
- E-course creation, video production, graphic design, and other information technology skills or experience are desirable, but not required.
Logistics and Work Guidelines:
Occasional consultations, meetings and trainings with the Peace Corps office staff in Pristina, online or at another designated training site may be required. Travel is required as designated by the LCC. Transportation to and from the Peace Corps Office and trainings sites are the responsibility of the contractor unless authorized to be transported by Peace Corps vehicles.
Contractor may only use Peace Corps equipment and systems in accordance with the Peace Corps Country Policy on Peace Corps equipment and computer systems.
Level of Effort & Salary:
This is a part-time contract position that will be compensated on a daily rate with approximately 65 days for the period of performance, with some variation to support course delivery and project timelines. This position has a salary range of €3,000 – €4,000 for the period of performance. No other benefits are provided.
How to Apply:
Candidates should send a current CV, university diploma or equivalent certificate, description of qualifications, a statement of interest, and the requested court certificate (see below) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications must be in English and any submissions in another language will not be reviewed.
The SUBJECT LINE of this email MUST state: Application for Serbian LCF. Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
Closing date: Applications must be received no later than midnight Wednesday, Friday, October 29 to be considered.
Peace Corps anticipates selecting one Serbian Language and Cultural Facilitator to fill this position at this time. Applicants deemed qualified through the candidate screening process may be considered for other future LCF position openings for up to two years.
Important! Candidates must be citizens of Kosovo and must provide a Court Certificate confirming that you are not under investigation.
No phone calls or personal visits related to this vacancy will be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Peace Corps is an equal opportunity employer.
- Short listed candidates will be asked to provide a sample lesson plan and facilitate an online language lesson for the panel.
- The selected candidate will undergo security clearance from US. Embassy in Kosovo.
- Peace Corps will equip the selected candidate with digital access, equipment and all required software applications.