Vacancy Notice n° o17/2020
Local recruitment procedure
Council of Europe Office
Under the authority of the Head of Office, and the supervision of the Head of Unit, Co-operation and External Relations Department of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe, the Senior Project Officer will carry out multiple assignments to help meet the overall and specific objectives for the implementation of the project ‘Promoting Local Democracy in Kosovo.
The Senior Project Officer performs the following key duties in accordance with the Organisation’s procedures, guidelines and priorities, with a concern for quality, efficiency, accuracy and confidentiality:
- plans, organises and follows up on project activities, in accordance with the project work plan and its calendar of activities, ensuring timely delivery and relevant reporting;
- ensures quality and relevance of activities, and contributes to the planning, implementation and assessment of the project;
- establishes and maintains close working contacts with relevant project partners and stakeholders, and ensures a regular information flow on the activities organised and progress in project implementation;
- prepares and ensures control and follow-up on budgetary and financial issues related to the project activities, and proposes adjustment measures as needed;
- provides substance input on specific activities and regular advice to headquarters concerning local developments in the thematic area,
- provides effective assessment of results and achievements and regular advice to supervisors about problems encountered; suggests priorities and adjustments as necessary;
- provides technical support and substance briefings to headquarters-based staff, members of the Congress and short-term consultants when carrying out missions in the field;
- maintains regular contacts and exchanges with the beneficiaries, stakeholders, partners/donors as well as with consultants;
- contributes to raising the visibility of the project, provides and ensures adequate information flow with the project stakeholders and relevant partners and experts;
- co-ordinates his/her work within the framework of the overall action of the Council of Europe Office;
- contributes to the efficient functioning of the Office, in collaboration with the Head of Office and the direct project management;
- contributes to the development of Congress co-operation activities as needed;
- promotes Council of Europe values internally and externally.
Please note that the incumbent may be required to perform other duties not listed in the vacancy notice.
Employment is limited to the duration of the Project which is expected to end on 31 December 2021. Please note that the remuneration for this position is 2 360.33 Euro (gross monthly salary).
Information on the Project:
The project “Promoting Local Democracy in Kosovo*” is implemented by the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities in the framework of the Council of Europe co-operation with Kosovo. The project aims to improve local self-government in Kosovo* and the quality of local democracy, in accordance with the European standards on local and regional democracy.
This local recruitment procedure is open to applicants already present in Kosovo. Only applicants who best meet the following criteria will be considered for shortlisting.
- Completed full course of general secondary education and appropriate professional qualifications;
- A higher education degree in political sciences, social sciences, international relations or other relevant field would be an advantage
- At least four years of relevant professional experience contributing to the implementation of technical co- operation projects in the field of local democracy, public administration or relevant field.
- Very good knowledge of one of the official languages (English);
- Knowledge of French would be an advantage;
- Knowledge of languages spoken in the region would be an advantage.
- Nationality of host country or one of the 47 Council of Europe member states.
- Under 65 years of age at the closing date of the vacancy notice.
Professional and technical expertise:
- proven knowledge and understanding of European standards for local and regional democracy, ethical governance and participatory democracy, as well as the Council of Europe’s work in this field;
- awareness of the current political context and the system of local self-government in Kosovo and policies and projects implemented at the local level;
- knowledge of the overall political, economic and social context in the region and in Europe;
- relevant experience in the implementation of projects, including the management of financial resources;
- knowledge of project management tools (Project Management Methodology, logframes, risk monitoring, budgeting, etc.);
- Results orientation
- Planning and work organisation
- Teamwork and co-operation
- Relationship building
- Analysis and problem solving
- Concern for quality
- Creativity and innovation
For more information, please refer to the Competency Framework of the Council of Europe.
Applications must be made in English or French using the Council of Europe on-line application system. By connecting to our website www.coe.int/jobs you can create and submit your on-line application. Applications must be submitted at the latest 10/05/2021 (midnight French time).
Any false statements knowingly made by applicants in their application for employment or at the time of their engagement will result in the termination of their employment by the Council of Europe.
Applications will be examined with regard to the requirements of this vacancy and applicants will be informed in due course of the outcome of your application. This may take some time after the closing date. Preselected candidates may be invited to take written tests before an interview. Written tests may be eliminatory.
In accordance with the Staff Regulations of the Council of Europe, the compulsory retirement age is 65. We cannot therefore accept applications from persons over this age.
The conditions of recruitment and employment which apply are contained in Rule No. 1234 of 15 December 2005 laying down the conditions of recruitment and employment of locally recruited temporary staff members working in Council of Europe Duty Stations located outside of France apply (Link to Rule 1234).
The Council of Europe welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, disability, marital or parental status, racial, ethnic or social origin, colour, religion, belief or sexual orientation.
During the different stages of the recruitment procedure, specific measures may be taken to ensure equal opportunities for candidates with disabilities.