Senior Officer for Political Affairs, Culture and Public Diplomacy
The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands is looking for an Senior Officer for Political Affairs, Culture and Public Diplomacy. A fixed term contract (37,5 hours per week) will be offered for one year with the possibility of renewal.
We are looking for a dedicated colleague who is both flexible and a good sparring partner for both our partners and Embassy colleagues. Our new colleague is proactive, can ‘multi-task’, is result-oriented, and works in a transparent way. You need to be able to switch easily between the different components of your job and link them to the core policy priorities of the Embassy. Since you will be part of a small team, it is crucial that you have the proven ability to work, both independently as well as in a team.
The Embassy in Pristina has eight employees, two Dutch and six local staff members. We focus on strengthening European integration, rule of law, protection of human rights, improving regional stability and security and support sustainable economic development.
The Netherlands government is an inclusive and diversity friendly employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
- You will actively follow, analyze and report on political developments in Kosovo and the relations between Kosovo, the wider region and in particular with Serbia; and relevant political developments in the Netherlands related to Kosovo and/or the Western Balkans. The officer identifies opportunities to influence policy developments.
- For Culture and Public Diplomacy you will identify areas for cultural cooperation and dialogue between the Netherlands and Kosovo in line with relevant policy priorities. You are responsible for drawing up and executing a clear strategy for cultural affairs and public diplomacy. This local strategy, which focuses on utilising our ‘smart power’ is aligned with the relevant policy priorities of this Embassy.
- As a team member you contribute to policy development within the framework of the guidelines and priorities of the Embassy’s Annual Plan and coordinate relevant activities with the Deputy Head of Mission (DHoM), the Officer for Rule of Law and the Officer for Security and Stability.
- You report on political/social and cultural/PD developments that are relevant for the Netherlands priority areas in Kosovo, and in cooperation with the other Netherlands Embassies in the Western Balkan region.
- In close coordination with colleagues and in line with policy objectives, you objectively assess, select and manage policy and cultural and PD projects, resulting in a project portfolio that fully supports and strengthens the policy priorities. Furthermore, you will be responsible for aligning the NL project support with other donors (EU, UN, bilateral embassies).
- As to be informed and connected, networking is an important aspect of this position. You build and maintain a professional network with local and NL institutions, civil society and international organisations in the respective areas of political affairs, culture and PD.
- The position requires representing the Netherlands government in a broad array of public events, meetings, workshops, briefings etc.
- Preferably a university degree in law, politics, public administration, international relations or a similar field, with a broad interest covering i.e. political affairs, culture/PD, European integration, and international relations.
- At least three years of work experience in political and cultural affairs, preferably with another embassy or international organisation in Kosovo.
- Experience in programme/project management and financial/budgetary matters.
- Knowledge of/experience with working with Kosovar (governmental and non-governmental) institutions and members of the international community (embassies and international organizations like the EU-Office, EULEX, KFOR/NATO, OSCE, Council of Europe, UNMIK, UNDP, IMF, World Bank etc).
- Excellent networker and team-player, to be able to establish and maintain contacts in a broad field of stakeholders.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good computer and information technology skills, including social media.
- Excellent spoken and written knowledge of the Albanian, Serbian and English languages. Knowledge of Dutch is an asset.
- Ability to think analytically
- Ability to network
- Ability to work with others
- Interpersonal skills
Please send your application no later than Monday 23 November, 2020 to PRI@minbuza.nl. Send us a letter of motivation in English and a CV using the following template: https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/editors/en/cv/compose.
You may be invited for an interview and written test at the embassy.