Sectoral Expert on Environment, Climate and Sustainable Use of Resources
Location : Prishtina, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 15-Dec-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 18-Dec-2020
Duration of Initial Contract : 18 December 2020 – 17 May 2021 (30 working days for the duration of the contract)
Expected Duration of Assignment : 18 December 2020 – 17 May 2021 (30 working days for the duration of the contract)
The NDS 2030 will serve as the main strategic document with a medium-term focus on recovering from the impact of COVID-19 on the socio-economic situation of the country. As such, the NDS will serve as a mechanism for implementing the strategic vision for the long term, by setting development priorities, strategic objectives and outcomes expected to be achieved. The implementation of this vision should contribute to meeting the requirements for the country's membership in Euro-Atlantic structures, and at the same time the commitment to the implementation and integration of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It is important to note that the new NDS will serve as an important mechanism for Kosovo in terms of the new EU financial perspective, implemented through IPA III. Its drafting and preparations for it will contribute to the strategic response to IPA III, which will take place in parallel.
In terms of structure, the NDS 2030 will follow the approach of four pillars which in fact constitute the main elements of obstacles to the country's development, as highlighted above in the previous section. This approach will serve as a basis throughout the process for elaborating new priorities for sustainable socio-economic development. Therefore, to address the challenges of the country's development and to establish a comprehensive approach, the NDS 2030 should be built on four tentative pillars, as follows:
- Rule of law and good governance;
- Sustainable economic growth;
- Human capital and equal society; and
- Clean environment and sustainable resources.
These four pillars will include all development sectors, which will provide an analysis of the current situation and the direction for development through a number of strategic objectives and corresponding indicators. It will set national development objectives, cross-sectorial horizontal issues related to a number of sectors and specific development objectives for each sector. Cross-sectorial policies will be organized as horizontal agendas. Such an approach will address the need for comprehensive and integrated planning as well as set out a clear planning framework for the next 10 years.
As part of Pillar IV – Clean environment and sustainable resources, and in light of the combination of COVID-19 and the dual Nature and Climate crises, which has dramatically multiplied the risks to vulnerable communities, it is imperative that environment-friendly, low carbon, green growth is clearly incorporated in the NDS.
The economic and social recovery efforts should embed measures to accelerate nature and climate actions. Countries and communities to “build forward better” should invest in systemic changes needed to accelerate SDG progress. Integrated inclusive green economy approaches can yield a significant amount of sustainable jobs and enterprises, while also ensuring the inclusive, green growth.
Together with Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement, The EU Green Deal and its Green Agenda for the Western Balkans provides an unprecedented opportunity to create an integrated development approach towards inclusive resilient economies with a zero-carbon footprint by 2050.
As a signatory to the Green Agenda for the Western Balkans, Kosovo will benefit through the financial mechanism of the Instrument For Pre-Accession (IPA III) towards: Aligning with the EU’s 2050 ambition to make Europe a carbon neutral continent; Increasing the share of renewable energy resources; Enhancing energy efficiency; Unlocking the potential of circular economy; Fighting pollution of air, water and soil; Promoting sustainable methods of food production and supply; and Unleashing the huge tourism potential of the region, with the focus on biodiversity protection and restoration of ecosystems.
Kosovo has developed the basic legal and policy framework for environmental protection and combatting climate change. The key sectoral policy in relation to the environmental protection and combatting climate change in Kosovo is the Law on Environmental Protection (Law No. 03/L-025) which was adopted in February 2009. Relevant strategic documents in Kosovo in the area of environmental protection and climate change include: the Environmental Strategy for Kosovo (2013-2022), the Strategy for Air Quality (2013 - 2022), and the National Strategy and Action Plan for Climate Change 2019 - 2028.
On the regional level, Kosovo is a contracting party to the Energy Community and has the responsibility to meet the requirements under the Energy Community Treaty.
At the international level, the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is the most relevant guideline. Since Kosovo is not a member of the UN and respectively to the UNFCCC, it does not have the NDC prepared as it cannot send for approval to the UNFCCC. Although not being part of the UNFCCC, Kosovo has pledged to assume the obligations arising from the Paris Agreement by adopting the Climate Change Framework Strategy and Action Plan for Climate Change (2019 - 2028) to fulfil its future obligations under the UNFCCC and as a member of EU. UNDP’s Climate Promise project is supporting Kosovo institutions in these efforts.
The main intended beneficiaries are: Office of the Prime Minister/ Strategic Planning Office (OPM/SPO, GCS and Legal office); Department for Budget/Ministry of Finance (MOF).
Objectives of Assignment
The objective of the assignment is to support the SPO in its leading role during the preparation of a new National Development Strategy of Kosovo (NDS 2030), with the focus on the Environment, Climate and Sustainable Use of Resources Pillar.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesThe process of drafting the National Development Strategy is led by the Prime Minister through the Strategic Planning Office and the NDS Preparation Team, which consists of the General Group and the thematic Groups.
Under the overall supervision of the UNDP Deputy Resident Representative and with direct guidance and in communication with the Strategic Planning Office of the OPM as well as the full NDS 2030 team of experts, the expert is required to undertake the following duties and responsibilities related to environmental protection, climate resilience, green economy and sustainable resource use across all tasks below:
1. Analysis and Data Collection:
- Collection and assessment of available information on current social economic situation in Kosovo including development obstacles, problems and challenges;
- Propose development priorities and objectives in the analysis, studies and reports of international institutions and development partners (by sectors, pillars and overall);
- Assessment of SPO needs for external expertise and support situation analysis with data and evidence (it will be useful when formulating measures to accompany specific objectives, possibly as a sort of ex ante conditionality for development of new or review of existing strategies);
- Assessment of implementation of the current NDS, limiting the scope of assessment to the tracing of change of values of performance indicators and checking whether verifiable evidence exists that this change can be attributed to the policy of the government (also checking the logic of intervention for actions of the current NDS and suggesting interventions (policy measures, but not activities/actions) to accompany specific objectives (to be “exported” to sectoral strategies;
- Creation of the initial SWOT table (for the pillar, to be integrated in the SWOT table) based on the existing analysis (collection of relevant statistical data and indicators (to be forwarded to a master file compiled by the SPO];
- Assistance to the SPO in processing the feedback on SWOT and integration of the analysis into a document for presentation and endorsement by the Strategic Planning Committee (SPG - document title: Identification of major development obstacles and challenges) to be addressed by the NDS (and subsequently – by sectoral strategies.
2. Capacity development:
- Training (workshop) of respective Thematic Working Groups (TWGs – NDS pillar based): contribution to development of a template, instruction (guidance) on filling it and training materials (own analysis and a list of questions/ issues to collect a feedback by the members of TWGs);
3. Drafting of the NDS 2030:
- Support on:
a) drafting of proposal for national (strategic) objectives of the NDS (based on the pillars), performance indicators and their targets (target values;
b) development of an indicative financial framework and financial resources for implementation of the NDS – assessment of potential financial resources to finance targeted actions, assessment of (internal and external) financial support available for implementation of the NDS;
c) development of proposal about the setting of horizontal agendas;
d) drafting of proposal for the set of objectives for each sector and respective performance indicators,
e) preparation of the guidelines for TWGs about formulation of sectorial objectives and definition of and setting targets for performance indicators;
f) Training of TWGs on formulation of sectorial objectives and definition of and setting targets for performance indicators;
g) Support to the SPO on revision of the initial proposal on optimising the number and titles of sectoral strategic documents, and finalising the list of strategies to be kept within the NDS and NSMF;
h) Support to SPO in preparation of a draft NDS for endorsement of the Strategic Planning Committee (SPC).
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- Analysis (synthesis) of current environmental situation in Kosovo, development obstacles, problems and challenges, proposed development priorities and objectives in the analysis, studies and reports of the Government, non-governmental, international institutions and development partners
- SWOT table and integration of the inputs from a relevant TWG. in the pillar of environment, climate and sustainable use of resources.
- Proposals on:
- a set of the national (strategic) objectives of the NDS (within the pillar of environment, climate and sustainable use of resources), to reinforce environmental protection, increase resilience to climate change, accelerate the shift to a low-carbon economy, performance indicators and their targets (target values),
- a set of objectives for each sector within the pillar of environment, climate and sustainable use of resources with respective performance indicators),
- horizontal agendas (if potential need is emerging from the pillar of environment, climate and sustainable use of resources),
- indicative financial framework to implement NDS within the pillar of environment, climate and sustainable use of resources,
- final list of strategies to be kept within the NDS and NSMF within the pillar of environment and sustainable use of resources, focusing on the Green Agenda for the Western Balkans, and the European Climate Law.
Scope of price proposal and schedule of payments
All proposals must be expressed in a lump sum amount. This amount must be “all-inclusive” . Please note that the contract price will be fixed regardless of changes in the cost components.
The contractor will be paid an all-inclusive fixed lump sum amount over the assignment period. The fixed lump sum amount will be paid in after submission of quarterly reports in line with the schedule of payment table hereunder:
- First Report, by 15 February 2021 (50%)
- Final Report, by 30 April 2021 (50%)
Required Presentation of Offer
The following documents are required to be submitted:
- Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability using the template provided by UNDP; https://popp.undp.org/_layouts/15/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc=/UNDP_POPP_DOCUMENT_LIBRARY/Public/PSU_%20Individual%20Contract_Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx&action=default
- Updated P11/ CV, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three professional references.
- Financial Proposal that indicates professional daily fee including total amount for whole duration of the assignment.
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport or National ID
Criteria for selection of the Best Offer
This section criteria for selection of the best offer will be subject to a most cost-effective bid selection process based on a scorecard and taking into consideration the weights of the technical and financial scores, which are of, respectively, 70% and 30%.
Technical score: 70% weight allocated as follows:
A/ The evaluation of the technical offer will be as follows:
Criteria Points Max Points (70) Master’s degree in the thematic areas relevant to the assignment (e.g. environmental engineering, climate, energy, social sciences);
10 pts Proven at least 5 years, of professional experience in policy planning, monitoring and evaluation, in the policy areas of environment, energy, management of climate change and agriculture (e.g. design of sectoral strategies, costing of implementation);
20 pts Proven work experience in or with the Central Government in strategic planning and/or design or implementation of national/sectoral development policy;
15 pts Record of publications in public policy analysis or academic research;
25 pts Total 70 pts
Financial score: financial offer (30% weight)
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Ability to synthesize research and draw conclusions on the related subjects;
- Good analytical and report writing skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment.
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors.
- Responds positively to critical feedback.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- University degree at least at MA / MSc level in Social Sciences, Environmental Management, Energy or relevant and related professional experience of 10 years and more;
- Proven at least 5 years, but preferably 8 years and more of professional experience in policy planning, monitoring and evaluation, in the policy areas of environment, energy, management of climate change and agriculture (e.g. design of sectoral strategies, costing of implementation);
- Experience in setting of performance measurement systems for policy sectors and/or monitoring and evaluation of implementation of sectoral policy documents;
- Work experience in or with the Central Government in strategic planning and/or design or implementation of national/sectoral development policy;
- International, multi-country experience in the above specific domains is not necessary but would be considered advantageous.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Albanian; knowledge of Serbian is considered an asset;
- Excellent communication and analytical skills;
- Excellent team working abilities;
- Proficiency in drafting of methodological documents, guidelines and reports;
- Experience in presenting or advising to the high – level decision makers or civil servants;
- Record of publications in public policy analysis or academic research would be considered as an asset;
- Training and/or coaching experience would be considered as an asset.
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; you can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume;
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.