USAID Kosovo Economic Governance Activity
Position: Public Financial Management Advisor (PFMA)
Period of Assignment: Long-term, full-time
Reports to: Strengthened Public Financial Management Objective Lead
The USAID Kosovo Economic Governance Activity is a five-year initiative that started in April 2019 to support Kosovo partners to implement significant reforms that will improve the simplicity, transparency, accountability and efficiency of government operations, strengthen public financial management, and improve responsive public-private dialogue, through adoption and confirmation of self-reliant, inclusive governance processes, ability, and systems. The support will be offered through the following three objectives:
- Business Environment Improvement;
- Strengthened Public Financial Management; and,
- Enhanced Strategic Communications.
The PFMA will work in close cooperation with project staff to support public and private sector partners, especially fiscal bodies, in enhancing the responsiveness, transparency, and accountability, of the fiscal policymaking process and public financial management (PFM) practices in Kosovo.
The PFMA will provide partners with advisory and facilitation support to improve operations and processes, increase the efficiency and transparency of the public financial management systems, and improve interaction between public and private stakeholders, to create self-reliant systems and cooperative relationships. Support areas include identification of sustainable solutions for public partners to advance and retain evidence-based policy analysis skills, facilitation of greater private sector and non-governmental partners’ engagement in economic policy design and evaluation and fostering enhanced supply and demand for budget transparency in Kosovo.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support partners, including the Ministry of Finance (MoF), to improve institutionalization of analytical skills, self-reliant institutional design, and procedures for evidence-based macroeconomic and fiscal analysis;
- Support the MoF to institutionalize a knowledge-management system to enable capacity retention and self-sustained staff development in the future;
- Support the MoF Budget and Treasury Departments in utilizing inclusive, public, evidence-based budget planning and implementation, including budget impact assessments, with a focus on effective, efficient, responsive, accountable, and transparent multi-year revenue and expenditure management;
- Support the MoF to improve fiscal data monitoring, fiscal policy evaluation and design, as well as transparency, inclusion and public input for responsive, representative and accountable governance, with a focus on closing governance gaps and fostering private sector development;
- Support the Tax Administration of Kosovo (TAK) to reduce the cost of tax compliance and improve domestic revenue mobilization;
- Support TAK and other partners to increase process efficiency utilizing objective data for performance monitoring;
- Work in close coordination with the project Public-Private Dialogue Advisor, Strategic Communications Advisor, and Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Analytics Advisor to identify and support opportunities to expand and institutionalize mechanisms for engagement between the government and the private sector, improve communications within government partners and between government and the private sector, and increase use of operational outcome-based performance metrics;
- Ensure collaboration with other objectives to find synergies and achieve project targets; Contribute to objective’s activities’ design under the direction of the Strengthened Public Financial Management Objective Lead, with input from local team and counterparts;
- Meet or exceed all quantitative project goals and performance deadlines linked to this position as articulated in the project Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plan and annual work plans;
- Submit required reports and deliverables in a timely fashion and in compliance with the program;
- Assume additional responsibilities as requested by the chief of party and/or the PFM team lead.
- Experience (Required) - Minimum 3 years of experience in public finance, economic policy, and/or financial consulting
- Education (Required) – Degree in economics, finance or related field; A quantitatively-oriented post-graduate degree or professional certification in finance and accounting is an advantage
- Language Skills (Required) – English and Albanian fluency, with excellent writing and presentation. Serbian language skills preferred
- Computer Skills (Required) - Advanced skills in using word processing (Microsoft Word) and spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel) as well as electronic communications programs. Financial modelling, statistical analysis, and programming skills are considered an asset
- Interpersonal Skills (Required) – Proven ability to work professionally, constructively and collaboratively as part of team, meet deadlines, communicate effectively, and deal with diverse partners (including high-level government officials, entrepreneurs and international donors) in a challenging environment
- Self-Motivation and Guidance (Required) – Ability to manage daily activities and achieve expected results with or without direct oversight and effectively function in a complex, challenging environment.
Please send electronic applications, including ONLY a CV and cover letter, to email@example.com by April 9, 2021 no later than 4:00 PM.
Please indicate your name and the position title for which you are applying in the subject line. Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.