Project Manager - The Regional Programme on Local Democracy in the Western Balkans 2 (ReLOaD2) Project
Location : Prishtinë/Priština, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 22-Jan-21 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SB-4
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 08-Feb-2021
Duration of Initial Contract : One (1) year with a possibility of extension
Expected Duration of Assignment : One (1) year with a possibility of extension
The Regional Programme on Local Democracy in the Western Balkans 2 (ReLOaD2) is a continuation of the EU-UNDP partnership and previously supported initiative – ReLOaD1 implemented in the four-year period 2017 - 2020. ReLOaD2 continues to strengthen participatory democracies and the EU integration process in the Western Balkans by empowering civil society and youth to actively take part in decision making and by stimulating an enabling legal and financial environment for civil society. The programme will be implemented in the following IPA beneficiaries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), North Macedonia, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Serbia.
Working across the region, ReLOaD2 will enhance capacities of local governments and civil society organisations (CSOs) to engage in productive partnerships and contribute to improved service delivery and realisation of local priorities in line with development strategies.
ReLOaD2 in Kosovo will through competitive process select 7 new partner local governments and will focus on institutionalization of interaction between local governments and CSOs. It will incite partner local governments to use public funding for CSOs in a transparent and development-oriented manner, recognising local needs and embracing a project-based approach. Also, the Action will promote youth engagement and support implementation of youth initiatives and will work on improvement of their economic perspectives in partner localities.
The total budget of the ReLOaD2 is EUR 12.63 million (USD 14,78 million), while the component for Kosovo totals EUR 1.38 (USD 1.65). The Project duration is 48 months (2021 – 2024). The anticipated start date of the Action is January 1, 2021.
The Project Manager will be responsible for daily supervision of a Project Associate based in UNDP Kosovo Country Office in Prishtinë/Priština.
This position is subject to availability of funding.
The incumbent will be based in UNDP Kosovo office in Prishtinë/Priština.
* For the European Union, this designation is without prejudice to position on status and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence. For UNDP all references to Kosovo shall be understood in the context of the UN Resolution 1244/1999.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesSummary of key functions:
- Effective coordination of project activities and successful implementation of project strategies,
- Project management and supervision of the Kosovo Project Team,
- Transparent and efficient implementation of a CSO grant scheme,
- Effective knowledge building and management,
- Gender mainstreaming within the Kosovo project component.
1.Effective coordination of project activities and successful implementation of project strategies
- Provide overall coordination and take management responsibility for successful implementation of the project’s activities in line with AWP;
- Coordinate project activities to deliver intended outputs and achieve desirable impact of the project applying programming tools and policies in line with the UN Results Based Management Approach;
- Closely coordinate with the Regional Office ensuring project activities are aligned with a regional workplan and activities in other participating IPA beneficiaries;
- Provide assistance to CSOs and local governments in promotion and visibility activities respecting Project’s and donor requirements;
- Ensure close collaboration, interaction, experience sharing and synergies with other UNDP Country Offices from the WB that participate in the ReLOaD as well as other similar interventions of other UN agencies and donors, with purpose to maximize the impact and the efficient use of resources;
- Provide regular feedback (weekly, monthly, and on ad hoc basis) to the Regional Programme Manager about progress, risk, challenges and or any other relevant matter;
- Contribute to identification of relevant in-country stakeholders and convene regular meetings of the Board of Partners, Local advisory groups and bodies, and other key consultations;
- Contribute to identification and documentation of partnership opportunities with various stakeholders during implementation of the project activities;
- Liaise with the local governments, relevant ministries, CSOs, and other relevant institutions to collect, analyze and disseminate information relevant to the Project;
- Ensure that all project-related issues and risks are identified and reported in a timely manner and suggest corrective measures;
- Ensure local governments provide co-financing to fulfil project results and objectives;
- Provide direction and guidance to the consultants engaged and responsible parties where applicable;
- Implement the Visibility strategy and communication plan in line with the visibility guidelines and donor requirements;
- Provide inputs for regional information exchange and lessons learned;
- Contribute towards creating opportunities for expansion of the regional project.
2.Project management and supervision of the Kosovo project team
- Manage project implementation based on UNDP best practices;
- Provide guidance and technical advice to in-country project team and project counterparts;
- Conduct staff performance reviews in accordance with UNDP rules, regulations and procedures ensuring full understanding of all aspects of the project;
- Oversee the work of the Project Associate, Kosovo external consultants, and contracted companies;
- Manage financial allocations and approve expenditures according to authority delegated and ensure timely payments in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Monitor and analyses project progress using applicable monitoring & evaluation and risk management tools in PeopleSoft system (ATLAS);
- Ensures the existence and implementation of successful quality assurance for the project’s financial, procurement and administrative processes to attain the project goals and desired impact in line with prevailing UNDP rules and regulations as well as in line with the project timelines;
- Provide the Regional Programme Manager and the Board of Partners with regular reports on all aspects on project progress;
- Maintain regular coordination, information sharing, and generally foster excellent relationship with the European Union Office in Kosovo;
- Participate in UNDP programme-level committees and working groups;
- Participate in joint coordination meetings of the ReLOaD;
- Complies with security and safety requirements and regulations and ensure the same are respected by all project personnel.
3.Transparent and efficient implementation of a CSO grant scheme
- Lead the selection process of the partner local governments (organize the evaluation commissions and field visits etc.);
- Develop systems and procedures for partner local governments ensure continuous and accurate monitoring of the status of Project activities;
- Travel regularly to partner local governments for individual meetings, events, focus group meetings and program related activities/trainings to ensure effective relations with partner local governments throughout the project intervention;
- Support implementation of the project activities, including the evaluation of CSO project proposals in public calls for CSOs in partner local governments;
- Oversee day to day work of the Project Associate, including guidance, problem solving and advisory role when and if necessary;
- Provide quality advisory services for local governments and/or CSO for successful cooperation and knowledge building in local communities;
- Monitor and analyses overall grant scheme progress and distribution in local governments;
- Present findings on grant scheme implementation in suitable format for internal/external use.
4.Effective knowledge building and management
- Support continuous learning by the national project team and contribute to the Western Balkan UNDP Country Offices thematic knowledge and practice networks;
- Support the Regional Programme Manager, and the ReLOaD’s project staff in sharing knowledge and experiences related to the replication of the model for transparent funds disbursement for CSO;
- Participate in regional conferences and ensure the experience from Kosovo has been adequately shared within the Western Balkans counterparts;
- Analyse overall grant scheme progress and distribution in local governments;
- Present findings on grant scheme implementation in suitable format for internal/external use.
5.Gender mainstreaming within the Kosovo project component
- Ensure gender is effectively mainstreamed throughout the projects’ activities, work plans, budgets, reports, research, analyses and, where specifically relevant, analyzed in detail;
- Ensure gender equality is mainstreamed throughout Kosovo project team, consultants and staff management activities;
- Support local governments and CSOs to mainstream gender equality;
- Ensure knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in programme knowledge management activities and products.
Impact of Results
The key results have a critical impact on the overall ReLOaD programme, in particular to the local development agenda undertaken by UNDP in Kosovo; Key results will have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across project activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
- Makes recommendations regarding operation of systems within organizational units
- Identifies and recommends remedial measures to address problems in systems design or implementation
- Provides inputs to the development of organizational standards for accountability
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up to date on partnership related issues
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Performs appropriate work analysis and assists in redesign to establish clear standards for implementation
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Excellent training and presentation skills
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion.
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Participates in the development of mechanisms, including identifying new approaches to promote individual and organizational learning and knowledge sharing using formal and informal methodologies
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, disabilities, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and strong ability to continuously self-motivate;
- Demonstrate strong negotiation skills
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Managing conflict
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Possesses strong ICT skills
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each employee.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- Advanced university degree in public administration, engineering, development studies, economics, political sciences, social sciences, or other related areas;
- BA degree with additional two years of working experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of five years of project/programme management experience (7 years with BA degree);
- Proven experience in managing grant schemes for civil society;
- Rich previous experience in partnering and interaction with governmental institutions at state/entity/local levels, as well as with civil society organizations;
- Previous experience with an international public and/or private sector organization is a basic requisite, while experience with complex UN and/or UNDP programmes would be considered as an asset.
- Fluency in English and Albanian and/or Serbian required, knowledge of the other is considered a strong asset.
- Willingness to travel within Kosovo and the Western Balkan region.
All interested candidates must complete the UNDP PERSONAL HISTORY FORM (P11). Without the completed and signed P11 Form, your application will not be considered. P11 Form can be downloaded at http://www.ks.undp.org/content/kosovo/en/home/operations/jobs/
To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Download and complete the the UNDP PERSONAL HISTORY FORM (P11);
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. You can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume. Instead of uploading your Resume, please submit a fully completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (P-11);
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (P11, academic qualifications/diploma) should be included as one attachment.