Title Project Coordinator (NPSA-9)
Job ID 40643
Practice Area - Job Family Environment and Energy
Vacancy End Date 17/12/2021
Duty Station Pristina, Kosovo, UNSCR1244 (1999)
Education & Work Experience G-Bachelor's Level Degree - 4 year(s) experience, I-Master's Level Degree - 2 year(s) experience
Languages Albanian, English
Vacancy Type National PSA
Posting Type External
Contract Duration 12 months, with a possibility of extension
Healthier Kosovo” Project is a joint initiative implemented by United Nations Development Programe (UNDP), World Health Organization (WHO) and United Nations Volunteers (UNV), funded by the Government of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
The UN agencies, funds and programmes in Kosovo (under the UNKT umbrella) have been mandated to facilitate the process of integration and implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (Agenda 2030) together with all institutions of Kosovo and international partners. This global agenda supports fully the EU Integration requirements in Kosovo making it more relevant to address it with the implementation of the proposed actions. The Kosovo’s Roadmap for integration of the Agenda 2030 sets up partnerships for development at the forefront of this agenda. UNKT has mobilized a range of stakeholders including from the private sector, civil society and is working with the international community and donors to build priority / issue-based coalitions.
The goal of the project is to contribute to the reduction of the environment-related disease burden on population health and catalyze follow-up activities. This will be achieved through provision of technical assistance and capacity development to the institutions relevant to environment and health issues thereby accelerating the legal implementation. The project also focuses on capacities and strengthening of awareness of local Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) to be able to influence policy making through innovative solutions.
Project will support Kosovo institutions to have effective governance in environment and health with inclusive evidence-based planning, implementation and monitoring of air pollution impacts on health as well support people to adopt behaviors that are healthy and that increase resilience to potential threats from environmental pollution.
The joint project will implement activities under two core outputs:
Output 1. Exposure to air pollution and climate-related health threats is reduced through improved institutional capacities and public awareness.
This output covers the majority of the activities foreseen under the project. The scope of the output includes working with institutions, civil society, and the community at large. New initiatives and innovative approaches to solving problems will include using behavioral insights to reduce air pollution from transporation in Prishtina, collaborative design of park foundations, implementation of the ecokosovo 4 campaign, implementation of co-design initiatives, etc.
Output 2. Health threats from medical waste reduced through updated waste management protocols, safe waste collection and segregation and improved capacities of relevant institutions and Health Care Workers (HCW).
Under this output, the project will support the Prishtina University Clincical Center in an effective management of the medical waste from covid, including the design of the policies, monitoring systems, and infrastructure interventions.
Sustainability of results will be ensured through the following approach:
- Stakeholders will be engaged and consulted in all phases; from activity design, execution, and closing. All activities will be designed with the aim of increasing the capacities and knowledge of beneficiaries in a manner that will result in a long-term benefit to them and their institutions. By involving them from the start, it is ensured that they get as much knowledge as possible.
- Institutions will be considered as the main drivers and owners of the planned activities, while participating UN agencies will provide the support needed to achieve the project objectives. Firstly, before any activity takes place, steps will be taken to understand the structure and internal working processes of the responsible institution/department, in order to design interventions that are aligned with the capacities, plans, and abilities of institutions and staff.
Healthier Kosovo Project is part of the UNDP Kosovo’s Inclusive Growth and Climate Resilience Portfolio. The goal of the portfolio is to provide technical support to deliver on, and contribute to, sustainable development and climate resilience-building. The programme supports Kosovo institutions to plan, adopt policy frameworks, and build capacities to transition toward sustainable energy, low-emission, and climate-resilient development is a crucial area of work for UNDP. UNDP’s services build on the growing portfolio of transformative climate resilience, energy, and climate change mitigation projects and for which UNDP provides oversight, quality assurance, and technical advisory services. There are active projects at the moment focusing on Ecotourism to bounce forward from COVID-19 through a green recovery; Strengthening Local Climate Action to continue previous successes in increasing GHG emission monitoring, smart green solutions, and the transition to a sustainable local food system, and; to create a Healthier Kosovo through reducing the exposure to air pollution by using tools such as behavioral insights. UNDP Kosovo and the portfolio is always looking to be more innovative, knowledge-, and data-driven within all the programme efforts to improve the conditions for the environment and the people by enabling an economic shift towards decent jobs, environmental sustainability, and climate resilience.
The Project Coordinator has the overall responsibility to achieve project results as defined by the approved project document and the annual work plans. In close collaboration with the implementing UN Agencies in the Healthier Kosovo project and the Joint Project Steering Committee, the Project Coordinator will execute duties and responsibilities outlined below in the following functional areas:
Coordinate the Joint Project activities and lead the effective implementation of the overall project in a complementary and mutually-supportive fashion, and report regularly to the Joint Project Steering Committee:
- Provide overall leadership and management for a successful, responsive, and timely implementation of the Healthier Kosovo project;
- Report to the Joint Project Steering Committee to assure overall direction and integrity of the project, streamlining due social, gender, and human rights considerations, as well as to ensure that the project is well-placed strategically within the UNKT’s overall programmatic priorities of the Common Development Plan (UNDAF) and in synergy with work on by other United Nations entities on community trust building;
- Report on implementation progress to and receive overall guidance and direction from the Joint Project Steering Committee; convene regular meetings of the Joint Project Steering Committee, prepare supporting presentations and materials, and act as a Secretary during these meetings; raise issues of concern to be addressed on time.
Results-based management, reporting, monitoring
- Oversee and ensure timely submission, quality and accuracy of the Project Quarterly/Progress/Annual Narrative and Financial Reports to the Joint Project Steering Committee for review and approval;
- Ensure the preparation of joint annual work plans, prepare budgets and budget revisions where needed, and design procurement plans;
- Review on a regular basis details, schedules, deliverables and budget as articulated in the joint project document (evidence of progress towards expected outputs, according to schedule, within budget) with the project team and update data tools accordingly;
- Bear overall responsibility for the quality, substance and timely delivery of project products and reports in adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures;
- Monitor the identified project risks and issues and update the status of project risks and issues by maintaining the logs;
- Organise and oversee the monitoring and evaluation of the joint project in line with the overall M&E framework and in close working with M&E focal point.
Partnership management, networking, liaising
- Establish and maintain excellent working relations and effective dialogue with relevant institutional and organisational partners
- Lead identification of linkages among related UN system and other active projects in Kosovo, maximizing efficient and effective use of resources, streamlining mutual learning, reducing potential overlap and leveraging synergies;
- Prepare analytical reviews and systematically capture lessons learnt from the project implementation; identify follow-up actions and submit them for consideration to the Joint Project Steering Committee;
- Ensure and lead preparations for a wide dissemination and visibility of achievements of the joint project, and support awareness raising on the topics tackled by the joint project as well as cross-cutting areas (gender, human rights, etc.);
Leading of a high-performing team
- Build, motivate, and lead a high performing team consisting of project personnel, expert consultants, service providers, etc;
- Undertake performance management for personnel under his/her supervision;
- Support continuous learning by the joint project team and ensure dissemination of information and knowledge management within the team and the participating UN Agencies for effective project implementation.
Under the direct supervision of the UNDP Portfolio Manager for Inclusive Growth and Climate Resilience, and the WHO focal point, the Project Coordinator has the overall responsibility for achieving the project results (outputs) as defined in the approved project document and in the annual workplans through timely and quality implementation and monitoring.
Nationals or others legally authorized to work in Kosova are eligible. (country of citizenship or place of permanent residence)
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict
- Demonstrates substantial experience in gender equality;
- Actively promotes and ensures gender equality and women empowerment approach in all Project activities in line with UNDP mandate.
- Committed to the highest regards of professionalism, impartiality, accountability, transparency, ethics, and integrity.
- Ability to conduct strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead monitoring of management projects
- Ability to lead business process
- Ability to affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of the programme, managing data, reporting
- Analytical and strategic thinking/results orientation
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment
- Excellent supervisory, management and team-building skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated ability to build trust;
- Substantive knowledge and understanding of gender and development as well as more broadly, in line with the area of expertise, i.e. in environment and health sector to advance gender equality and women’s rights;
- Advocacy skills to promote gender equality approaches, to achieve the UNDP Gender Equality agenda or national gender equality agenda with internal and external partners;
- Promoting gender equality accountability framework and Gender equality Results Based management in CO: RCA, ATLAS initiative, ROAR reporting, etc.
- Implementing human resources policies for gender sensitive approach in the CO;
- Promoting a change in organizational culture for gender equality.
- Master’s degree in social sciences, environmental science, development studies, or other relevant degree.
- Bachelor`s degree with additional 2 years of experience may be taken into consideration in lieu of the Master`s degree
- 2 years (with Master’s degree) of relevant working experience in project/programme management or managing staff and operational systems,
- 4 years (with Bachelor`s degree) of relevant working experience in project/programme management or managing staff and operational systems,
- Proven track record in coordinating complex programs with diverse range of partners
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for an international agency or donor organization or NGO
- Experience in the field of health and/ or environment initiatives is an advantage
- Knowledge and practical experience in strategic planning, stakeholder cooperation, multi-partner coordination, and project cycle design, management and implementation;
- Familiarity with the UN system and previous experience of working for or with the UN is considered a distinct asset;
- Proficiency in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of web-based management systems
- Fluency in English and Albanian (verbal and written)
- Knowledge of Serbian language is desired.
Important applicant information
All posts in the NPSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.