Title: Project Associate (NPSA-6)
Job ID: 40642
Practice Area - Job Family: Environment and Energy
Vacancy End Date: 17/12/2021
Duty Station: Pristina, Kosovo, UNSCR1244 (1999)
Education & Work Experience: C-HS Graduate or Equivalent - 6 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor's Level Degree - 3 year(s) experience
Languages: Albanian, English
Vacancy Type: National PSA
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 12 months, with a possibility of extension.
Healthier Kosovo” Project is a joint initiative implemented by United Nations Development Programe (UNDP), World Health Organization (WHO) and United Nations Volunteers (UNV), funded by the Government of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
The UN agencies, funds and programmes in Kosovo (under the UNKT umbrella) have been mandated to facilitate the process of integration and implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (Agenda 2030) together with all institutions of Kosovo and international partners. This global agenda supports fully the EU Integration requirements in Kosovo making it more relevant to address it with the implementation of the proposed actions. The Kosovo’s Roadmap for integration of the Agenda 2030 sets up partnerships for development at the forefront of this agenda. UNKT has mobilized a range of stakeholders including from the private sector, civil society and is working with the international community and donors to build priority / issue-based coalitions.
The goal of the project is to contribute to the reduction of the environment-related disease burden on population health and catalyze follow-up activities. This will be achieved through provision of technical assistance and capacity development to the institutions relevant to environment and health issues thereby accelerating the legal implementation. The project also focuses on capacities and strengthening of awareness of local Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) to be able to influence policy making through innovative solutions.
Project will support Kosovo institutions to have effective governance in environment and health with inclusive evidence-based planning, implementation and monitoring of air pollution impacts on health as well support people to adopt behaviors that are healthy and that increase resilience to potential threats from environmental pollution.
The joint project will implement activities under two core outputs:
Output 1. Exposure to air pollution and climate-related health threats is reduced through improved institutional capacities and public awareness.
This output covers the majority of the activities foreseen under the project. The scope of the output includes working with institutions, civil society, and the community at large. New initiatives and innovative approaches to solving problems will include using behavioral insights to reduce air pollution from transporation in Prishtina, collaborative design of park foundations, implementation of the ecokosovo 4 campaign, implementation of co-design initiatives, etc.
Output 2. Health threats from medical waste reduced through updated waste management protocols, safe waste collection and segregation and improved capacities of relevant institutions and Health Care Workers (HCW).
Under this output, the project will support the Prishtina University Clincical Center in an effective management of the medical waste from covid, including the design of the policies, monitoring systems, and infrastructure interventions.
Sustainability of results will be ensured through the following approach:
- Stakeholders will be engaged and consulted in all phases; from activity design, execution, and closing. All activities will be designed with the aim of increasing the capacities and knowledge of beneficiaries in a manner that will result in a long-term benefit to them and their institutions. By involving them from the start, it is ensured that they get as much knowledge as possible.
- Institutions will be considered as the main drivers and owners of the planned activities, while participating UN agencies will provide the support needed to achieve the project objectives. Firstly, before any activity takes place, steps will be taken to understand the structure and internal working processes of the responsible institution/department, in order to design interventions that are aligned with the capacities, plans, and abilities of institutions and staff.
Healthier Kosovo Project is part of the UNDP Kosovo’s Inclusive Growth and Climate Resilience Portfolio. The goal of the portfolio is to provide technical support to deliver on, and contribute to, sustainable development and climate resilience-building. The programme supports Kosovo institutions to plan, adopt policy frameworks, and build capacities to transition toward sustainable energy, low-emission, and climate-resilient development is a crucial area of work for UNDP. UNDP’s services build on the growing portfolio of transformative climate resilience, energy, and climate change mitigation projects and for which UNDP provides oversight, quality assurance, and technical advisory services. There are active projects at the moment focusing on Ecotourism to bounce forward from COVID-19 through a green recovery; Strengthening Local Climate Action to continue previous successes in increasing GHG emission monitoring, smart green solutions, and the transition to a sustainable local food system, and; to create a Healthier Kosovo through reducing the exposure to air pollution by using tools such as behavioral insights. UNDP Kosovo and the portfolio is always looking to be more innovative, knowledge-, and data-driven within all the programme efforts to improve the conditions for the environment and the people by enabling an economic shift towards decent jobs, environmental sustainability, and climate resilience.
The results of the work of the Project Associate have a direct impact on the implementation of the joint project and the achievement of results. Specifically, the results have an impact on the planning, implementation, and coordination of project activities and resources (human, financial, material assets, etc.) in order to meet expected results.
Execution and compliance of administrative, logistics and finance activities in line with the UN rules, regulations, policies and strategies is ensured:
- Support the overall implementation of the joint project in the area of administrative, logistics and finance in line with the principles of the UN entities;
- Organizesthe project logistics and administrative duties, ensuring effective use of resources and compliance with UNDP rules and procedures;
- Assist the Project Coordinator in the preparation of project work plans and periodic project reports by providing substantial inputs.
- Assist with the preparation of the procurement plan; assist in purchase of the project equipment.
- Prepare project financial statements and manage project budgets, monitor expenditures against established allocations, prepare budget revisions where necessary;
- Preparation of payment requests for project expenses, timely and accurate entry in web-based management systems, timely financial projections and accounts closure;
- Properly control the supporting documents for payments of beneficiaries and operational expenditures;
- In cooperation with the Project Coordinator, supports the procurement processes and preparation of the necessary documents for the joint project purposes;
- Maintain and file records, documents and work plansfor the monitoring of the joint project implementation;
Support the Project Coordinator in coordinating the Joint Project activities and ensure the effective implementation of the overall project in a complementary and mutually-supportive fashion, and report regularly to the Joint Project Steering Committee:
- Assist with organizing events and arranging meetings and missions; coordinate travel arrangements and other logistical tasks for the successful delivery of the joint project;
- Jointly with the project personnel, undertake project visits, monitor activities and ensure compliance with UNDP rules and procedures, and UNDGs guidance note on joint programmes.
- Compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, background information and documentation for meetings, events, and missions;
- Collect data and consolidate joint periodic reports for participating UN agencies to be further submitted to the project board, donors and other purposes as necessary.
- Support regular report drafting, preparing Joint Steering committee presentations and meetings.
- Prepare requests for contracts for project-related personnel, including short-term consultants and experts, in compliance with applicable rules and procedures; provide for approval to respective unit with necessary information and on a timely manner.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator of the Healthier Kosovo joint project, and in close cooperation with the implementing UN Agencies, the Project Associate will execute duties and responsibilities outlined below.
Nationals or others legally authorized to work in Kosova are eligible. (country of citizenship or place of permanent residence)
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of project’s implementation
- Ability to maintain information and files in order, or at more advanced level, develop and implement data management
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies, best practices and new approaches related to the work position
- Responds to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate manner
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Committed to professionalism, impartiality, accountability, ethics and integrity
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, ethnicity, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrates substantial experience in gender equality. Actively promotes gender equality in all activities
- Demonstrating sound judgment, understanding of sensitivity of subject-matter, and adheres to confidentiality where required
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Secondary Education.
- BA degree in social sciences, business administration, development studies, or other relevant degree would be desired.
- 6 years of relevant work experience with proven ability to provide administrative and financial services, and oversee and manage budgets for complex projects with diverse range of partners;
- Alternatively, if in a possession of BA degree, the 3 years relevant work experience would require.
- Experience with UN financial systems a distinct advantage;
- Experience and proficiency in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Albanian (verbal and written)
- Knowledge of Serbian language is desired.
Important applicant information
All posts in the NPSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.