Project Associate - Humanitarian Response to COVID-19 - Emergency and early recovery support
Location : Prishtinë/Priština, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 13-Dec-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SB-3
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 05-Jan-2021
Duration of Initial Contract : One (1) year with a possibility of extension for an additional one (1) year
Expected Duration of Assignment : One (1) year with a possibility of extension for an additional one (1) year
Recovering from disasters is a challenging process as it creates greater pressures on already limited human, institutional and financial resources. As part of Disaster Management phases, in the current context, UNDP has engaged at regional, national and sub-national levels, focusing on response, mitigation and recovery. Safeguarding human rights in times of crisis becomes a challenge, especially under current circumstances, with a confluence of health and socio-economic crisis.
Kosovo has a solid legal and institutional framework for decentralized social service delivery which must be complemented with adequate funding and resources. As such, the existing institutional social safety net is inadequate to respond to the needs of vulnerable people; a significant proportion of the poor already fall through the safety net. The inadequacy of the system has become more evident with the sharp increase of social vulnerability as a result of the pandemic. The Social Assistance Scheme (SAS) absorbs approximately 88% of the budget for social assistance with the relative total spending on SAS declining over the last decade. The pandemic has exposed a series of gaps in the governance system which has affected the work of institutions and service delivery not least in provision of social services; it has directly affected the work of Centres for Social Work (CSW) as they are also engaged in other activities to help their citizens - despite limited capacities - either through the provision of professional social services, administering measures of the emergency package, or through direct assistance in providing food and hygiene packages.
To address some of these issues, UNDP has developed a project with the objective to enhance the provision of social services by CSW and improve access to equitable, qualitative, integrated social protection for the most vulnerable groups, including women and girls.
The project is funded through EU IPA II/Action Document (Kosovo) - EU4 Social Protection.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesUnder the direct supervision of the Project Manager, and in cooperation with the Portfolio Manager, the Project Associate will execute duties and responsibilities outlined below:
Compliance of administrative, logistics and finance activities in line with the UN rules, regulations, policies and strategies is ensured:
- Support the overall implementation of the project in the areas of finance, budgeting, procurement, administrative and logistics matters;
- In cooperation with the Project Manager and Project Officers lead the procurement processes and preparation of the necessary documents;
- Assist in preparing activity reports, monthly reports, and quarterly reports;
- Ensure effective use of resources and compliance with UNDP rules and procedures;
- Organise and participate in procurement processes as a secretary of the panel, and ensure that supporting documents are completed in good time;
- Leave monitor for project team; submit to UNDP Kosovo HR unit, on monthly basis, information on absence monitoring (attendance cards);
- Jointly with the Project manager and Project Officers prepare the procurement plan;
- Maintain and file records, documents and work plans for the monitoring of project implementation;
- Assist with organizing events and arranging meetings and missions; coordinate travel arrangements;
- Jointly with Project Officer(s) undertake project visits, monitor activities, and ensure compliance with UNDP rules and procedures;
- Properly control the supporting documents for payments of contractors and beneficiaries, including operational expenditures;
- Prepare requests for contracts for project staff, including short-term consultants, in compliance with UNDP HR and procurement rules and procedures; provide HR office with necessary information in a timely manner.
Impact of Results
The results of the work of the Project Associate have a direct impact on the implementation of the project and the achievement of results. Specifically, the results have an impact on the planning, implementation and coordination of project activities and resources (human, financial, material assets etc.) in order to meet expected results.
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects implementation
- Ability to maintain information and files in order, or at more advanced level, develop and implement data management
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate manner
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrating sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Actively promotes gender equality in all Project activities
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Demonstrates experience in gender equality.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- Secondary education with specialized/specific trainings in business administration/management. University Degree in Economy, Finance or Accounting will be a distinct advantage.
- Minimum 6 years of relevant experience as an assistant or in administration related post of which a minimum of 4 years on preparing and managing budgets and project finances;
- Previous experience on a similar role, in an EU funded project a distinct advantage;
- Proven ability to oversee and manage budgets for complex projects with diverse range of partners;
- Experience in managing and monitoring grants and grantees;
- Ability to network and liaise with relevant counterparts;
- Experience with UN financial systems a distinct advantage;
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of web based management systems.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Albanian languages is required. Fluency in Serbian is an asset.
All interested candidates must complete the UNDP PERSONAL HISTORY FORM (P11). Without the completed and signed P11 Form, your application will not be considered. P11 Form can be downloaded at http://www.ks.undp.org/content/kosovo/en/home/operations/jobs/
To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Download and complete the the UNDP PERSONAL HISTORY FORM (P11);
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. You can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume. Instead of uploading your Resume, please submit a fully completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (P-11);
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (P11, academic qualifications/diploma) should be included as one attachment.