Call for Application for Consultancy Services
Position Title: Policy Development Expert
Duty Station: Pristina
Type of Appointment: 5 months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: June 14, 2021
The project “Building Societal Connections and Support to Social Cohesion and Reconciliation in Kosovo” aims to contribute towards a more inclusive society for all communities in Kosovo by supporting their language rights, fostering cooperation and joint initiatives, as well as proper media reporting, thus building confidence between communities and addressing points of friction for long-term reconciliation. Throughout our experience on Return and reintegration project, Community stabilization project and the most recently Social inclusion project, language has been identified as one of the main obstacles for interaction and inclusion of different ethnic communities living in Kosovo*. For the last 30 years people do not have opportunity to teach each other languages in schools, percentage of citizens speaking both official languages are decreasing and that is enabling access to services and information.
Current situation in Kosovo affects the following rights provided by the Universal Declaration of HR: non-discrimination on the basis of language (Art 2 UDHR), participation in the government and equal access to public services (Art. 21 UDHR), participation in cultural life and enjoyment of scientific advancement (Art. 27 UDHR), participation in the community life, realization of rights and freedoms (Art. 29, UDHR). In turn, this project will improve the ability of ethnic minorities to access these rights on one hand and the government to ensure them on another. The project aims to address problems generated by long-lasting existence of segregated educational systems (language barrier that also limit access to information, lack of opportunities for interaction, educational profiles inadequate to national Labour market, etc.). Providing tools for online learning of two official languages; providing alternative history sources, organizing creative activities that are fostering interaction among children and youth and improving availability of Kosovo news media sources will create equal opportunity for disadvantaged groups to participate even without exiting their comfort zone (their home or their neighbourhood).
Objective of the assignment
Facilitate the cooperation between relevant stakeholders and support institutions in revising existing policies and developing new policies to improve implementation of the Law.
Scope of work
Specific duties and responsibilities of the policy expert will include:
- In cooperation with project team and partners identify relevant institutions and develop terms of reference for the multi-stakeholders working group.
- Review the catalogue of position in public administration and other central and local level institutions with the aim to identify key priority positions.
- Organize and facilitate bilateral introductory with institutions.
- Organize and facilitate working group meetings (3).
- As a result of the working group discussions, develop recommendations.
- Propose policies to include bilingualism as a requirement in the recruitment procedure and provide opportunities for existing staff to improve language capacities.
- Assist the Faculty of Philology and the Language center in promoting their work among authorities and other stakeholders.
- As per needs identified propose new services for the Language Center Portfolio and provide support to better respond to the stakeholder and market needs for language services, ensuring quality of services Provide expert’s support and advise to project team and Programme Coordinator.
He or she will work closely under supervision of the Social Inclusion Project Coordinator. The expert will submit the monthly reports based on the results achieved and in the agreed format stating all actions taken during the assignments. Upon completion of the assignments the Expert will submit monthly reports to be approved by the IOM Project Coordinator and these will serve as a justification for payments.
QUALIFICATION AND COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced university degree in relevant field.
- At least 10 years of work experience in the area of education or languages.
- Proven experience on similar assignments.
- Relevant experience and training in policy making and development.
- Proven record of coordination and working with authorities, civil society and academia.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience in working with international projects and agencies.
- Language skills: fluency in English and in official languages and advanced writing skills in English and official languages in Kosovo.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications – CV or Personal History Form (download here) and Cover Letter to IOMPristina@iom.int by June 14, 2021 midnight at the latest, referring to SVN 2021/XK0106 in the subject line.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 01.06.2021 – 14.06.2021