Location : Prishtina, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 04-Jun-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 10-Jun-2020
Duration of Initial Contract : 10 June 2020 – 10 July 2020 (18 working days within this period)
Expected Duration of Assignment : 10 June 2020 – 10 July 2020 (18 working days within this period)
BackgroundThe Law on Protection from Discrimination is broadly in line with European and international standards, but the implementation of the Law has not seen any substantive progress since its adoption in 2015. More needs to be done to effectively guarantee the rights of persons in judicial processes, ensure gender equality in practice and fully implement the anti-discrimination legislation.
Although the Law on Protection from Discrimination establishes a general framework for preventing and combating discrimination, both Courts and victims have difficulties in identifying the situations in which its provisions can be applied. The Ombudsperson’s 2019 Report noted that the judiciary lacks proper monitoring of discrimination cases due to inadequate identification and categorization of such cases. Discrimination cases do not have a specific court mark, so it is very difficult to monitor. As such the anti-discrimination provisions have proven to be minimally known and remain considerably unused by judges. It is therefore important to identify and understand the reasons of the lack of implementation of the anti-discrimination provisions. This may be achieved through a desk research, and focus groups discussions with specific stakeholders thereby coming up with concrete recommendations for improvement.
The Kosovo Justice Academy (KJA), as the lead institution for capacity development of judges, prosecutors, and legal practitioners, is currently in the process of reorganizing the training program, including finding avenues to plan specific trainings in the field of anti-discrimination. The KJC has welcomed UNDP’s professional support to develop a specific training programme in the field of anti-discrimination and gender equality thereby developing the capacities of legal actors.
Objectives of Assignment
Support the Academy of Justice to develop a training programme on anti-discrimination and gender equality for judges, prosecutors, and legal practitioners.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesUnder the supervision of the Project Manager, the consultant shall:
- Conduct desk research on existing local and international legislation on anti-discrimination and gender equality which are directly applicable in Kosovo.
- Conduct three focus groups discussions with relevant stakeholders including, but not limited to justice institutions, central and local institutions, human rights institutions, civil society organizations, Academia, and media on the implementation of the related anti-discrimination and gender equality legislation.
- Develop the curricula and training programme for the Academy of Justice based on key findings from desk review and focus group discussion.
- Research Report - analysis on legislative documents, strategic reports, and other desk research findings (2 working days).
- Methodology and questionnaire for the Focus Groups (2 working days).
- First Focus Group with Ombudsperson, CSOs, Academia, and local media (1 working day).
- Second focus group with judges, prosecutors, and legal associates (1 working days).
- Third focus group with ministries and local government officials from HRs and gender equality offices (1 working day).
- Findings Report from focus groups about on-the ground practices and challenges in implementation of anti-discrimination provisions (4 working days).
- Draft the training programme on anti-discrimination and gender equality (7 working days).
Remuneration - Lump Sum Amount:
The Contract is based on lump sum remuneration and shall be processed subject to deliverables as per the schedule listed below:
- First instalment: upon satisfactory completion of the Research Report (1st deliverable) – 30%
- Second instalment: upon satisfactory completion of the focus groups and findings report (2nd,3d, 4th, ,5th and 6th deliverable) – 40%
- Third instalment: upon satisfactory completion of the Draft training report (final deliverable) – 30%
Required Presentation of Offer:
The following documents are required to be submitted:
- Updated P11/CV, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three professional references.
- Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment
- Sample methodology on how to conduct the focus groups.
- Financial Proposal that indicates the all-inclusive lump sum amount.
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport
Criteria for selection of the Best Offer
Offers will be evaluated utilizing a combined Scoring method – where the technical qualifications, the relevant work experience and the technical proposal will be weighted a max. of 70% and combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30%.
- Demonstrates/safeguards ethics and integrity;
- Acts as a team player and facilitating teamwork;
- Facilitates and encourages open communication and creates synergies;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Demonstrates experience in gender equality.
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to build trust;
- Responds positively to new approaches;
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding the position;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet needs and deadlines;
- Good analytical skills; able to exercise sound judgement.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- MA Law Degree in Human Rights, or other related field.
- A minimum of 7 years of professional experience relevant as per the ToR;
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience related to human rights;
- Excellent knowledge on Kosovo’s legal framework;
- Experience in developing training programmes, and preparing analytical reports.
- Excellent verbal and written in Albanian and English are required. Proficient knowledge of Serbian is an asset.
- Experience working with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; you can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume;
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.