TERMS OF REFERENCE
“FACILITATOR FOR ORGANISATIONAL CAPACITY ASSESSMENT”
Action for Mothers and Children (AMC), is a non-for-profit foundation with the foremost goal to save the lives of children and improve the health care for mothers in the Republic of Kosovo through developing better systems for the care of pregnant women, and their children.
We believe that every child and mother have the right to a healthy life, regardless of where they are or what means they have. By developing and implementing programs that improve the health care of mothers and their infants, the number of children who die unnecessarily can be substantially decreased. We aim to focus on the development of sustainable, high quality, and capacity building health care programs for mothers and children in Kosovo
Action for Mothers and Children is a strategic partner of Save the Children International office in Kosova/o, which is implementing a project of Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA). Sida has a strong commitment to support the capacity strengthening of local civil society organizations. Part of Save the Children’s key requirements is to indicate a clear plan on how a certain percentage of the grant will be used for capacity strengthening. The Organizational Capacity Development (OCD) approach to capacity strengthening will be used, monitored and reported back to the donor.
Action for Mothers and Children is seeking the support of a national consultant or a team of national consultants to support AMC to conduct and Organizational Capacity Assessment (OCA) and develop an Organizational Capacity Development (OCD).
II. PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
An Organizational Capacity Assessment (OCA) is a process that seeks to assess the capacity of any organization across a broad range of topics. The overall objective of the consultancy is to:
- Conduct an Organizational Capacity Assessment by facilitating a participatory workshop methodology outlined in the SCS tool for OCA. The workshop aims to identify areas for organizational improvement in order to achieve sustainable results.
- Ensure thorough documentation throughout the workshop and produce a report summarizing the outcomes.
- Assist Action for Mothers and Children with developing a four-year OCD plan to address the identified areas of improvements identified in the workshop.
It should be emphasized in the introduction of participatory workshops that different opinions are encouraged and the facilitator's role is to lead the discussion and ensure that the outcome reflects the reality in the best way. Discussion and scoring on each of the criteria allows the organization to determine gaps and make recommendations for building the required capacity.
III. METHODOLOGY OF THE ORGANISATIONAL CAPACITY ASSESSMENT
The OCA and its workshop should be used as a first step in the process of organizational development and should involve many diverse representatives of the organization through a participatory workshop consisting of a questionnaire and data entry sheet. The workshop aims to look at the overall situation at the time of assessment through the opinion of various groups within the organization and identify current situation within various aspects and identify areas of improvements. The workshop consists of an introduction, division of four pre-decided groups that answers a large set of questions within the group and a plenary that brings all groups and their answers together and where the facilitator leads a discussion with all groups to find a consensus on the current state of each question and area. Current situation and areas of improvements are identified and documented during the plenum.
IV. ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The facilitator will be responsible for:
- Become familiar with the OCA Tool.
- Lead the participatory workshop with “AMC” staff and partners. The workshop will last three days.
- Complete in detail the OCA Tool (except for the finance/grants part)
- Providing the Capacity Needs assessment report.
- In coordination with AMC identify the priority areas for organizational development for the next 4 years and complete the OCD Framework
- Deliver documents and other deliverables on a timely manner
- Workshop material (OCA Tool and Manual), will be provided by Action for Mothers and Children.
4.2. Action for Mothers and Children:
Action for Mothers and Children will have the responsibility for the overall management of the facilitator and this will include the following:
- Provide the Save the Children OCA Tool to the facilitator
- Reviewing and approving the proposed methodology
- Organize the workshop
- Ensuring that AMC staff will take place in the workshop
- Supporting facilitator to invite the staff and/or members
- Monitoring the delivery of milestones
- Reviewing and approving the OCD Framework template and final Capacity Needs Assessment Report.
- The finance/grants part of the OCA tool will be prepared by Save the Children
- Ensure completion of the OCD Framework detailing the OCD work for the next coming years.
V. KEY DELIVERABLES
- Maintain neutral and professional approach during the review process and during the overall workshop of the assessment;
- Facilitation and thorough documentation of participatory workshop;
- Draft comprehensive validated report which includes findings of the OCA and recommendations for the continued development of organisational capacity submitted within 6 days of the workshop;
- Final report submitted;
- One day preparation of OCD Framework together with AMC to be held within 8 days after the workshop.
VI. DURATION AND TIMEFRAME
The contract of the assignment should be for 7 working days as described on the table below. The deadline to finalize OCA and OCD is 14th November 2021.
# | TASK | ESTIMATED WORKLOAD (Person/Days) | DELIVERY DATE
1 | Familiarization with OCA tool and initial meeting with AMC | 1 day | 29 October 2021
2 | Facilitation of OCA participatory workshop | 3 days | 3-5 November 2021
3 | Report writing | 2 days | 9 November 2021
4 | Feedback meeting and OCD Framework development with AMC | 1 day | 11 November 2021
VII. PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
Competencies required to carry out the tasks are as per below:
- Advanced degree in economics, development studies, social sciences or related discipline;
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in conducting organizational capacity needs assessments, experience with self-assessment processes will be an advantage;
- At least 5 years of experience working in organizational development within civil society;
- Excellent analytical, oral and written communication skills in English;
- Experience in monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
- Strong facilitation skills and ability to lead a plenary and document simultaneous;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and work well with diverse people.
VIII. COSTS AND PAYMENT SCHEDULE
Estimated Cost of Consultancy: Applicants shall present a detailed financial proposal that elaborates daily costs on the basis of the above-mentioned deliverables, including a total sum demanded. All costs, including travel, accommodation, administrative tools, communications, etc. shall be covered by the consultant and should be included in the financial proposal as a separate heading, and broken down into details of accommodation and travel costs.
Payment schedule: AMC will issue a contract in EURO. The payment will be done in two installments upon deliverables as per contractual agreement and will be executed in EURO.
Candidates are required to specify their daily rates and the total amount as per the number of anticipated working days for each deliverable in the financial proposal and provide the breakdown of the lump sum amount for each deliverable as well as incidentals of each deliverable in EURO. It is up to the team how to divide number of working days within the team.
IX. APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications should be submitted in English and should include:
- Financial proposal;
- Two examples of similar work conducted in the past.
Applications, including the above mentioned documents should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 26th October 2021, with the subject “AMC Organizational Capacity Assessment 2022-2025”.
Note: Action for Mothers and Children through internal human resource regulations, ensures that all guaranteed human rights and freedoms are respected, and commits to implementing policies on child protection as well as those against bullying and abuse in the working place.