National Communication Expert to support the UNFPA communication component of the project Return to (New) Normal: Strengthening resilience through a safe and inclusive return to normality in health and education in Kosovo in the wake of COVID-19)
Location : Prishtina, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 11-Nov-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 20-Nov-2020
Duration of Initial Contract : 20 November 2020 – 31 March 2021 (with possibility of extension pending on availability of funds)
Expected Duration of Assignment : 20 November 2020 – 31 March 2021 (with possibility of extension pending on availability of funds)
UNFPA jointly with WHO, UNICEF and UN Women, and with funding from British Embassy in Pristina, are implementing the Project Return to (New) Normal: Strengthening resilience through a safe and inclusive return to normality in health and education in Kosovo in the wake of COVID-19. The project aims to ensure a safe return to normality taking into account the possibility of future waves of COVID-19 and allow for commensurate preparations, and a fair return to normality, which is inclusive, ensuring that groups that were already marginalized prior to the pandemic are not left behind even further.
In the area of health and awareness raising, the project will focus on the promotion of reliable COVID-19 messaging and preventative measures, which will be covered by UNFPA. This will include a Kosovo-wide campaign on raising awareness on COVID-19 threats and disbeliefs as well as technical support to MoH and NIPH to produce attractive and easy to understand COVID-19 related messages.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesUnder the supervision and joint day-to-day coordination with the National Expert/Project Coordinator the Communication expert will be responsible for the progress of the whole communication spectrum within the project.
Breakdown of tasks and responsibilities is listed below, and reflects duties and expectations from Communication Expert:
- Set up concrete goals aimed to be achieved in the lifespan of the project, in terms of Communication, PR and Marketing;
- Maintain social networks such as on the Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. and supervise and update content across all channels with the primary purpose of informing the public, and improving the communication by posting text, photos, video, links, etc.
- Support and supervise the hired creative company in the production of promotional video materials in the conception, production and distribution;
- Prepare and coordinate promotional material from the whole spectrum of communication tools in support of the project to reach its target audience throughout Kosovo;
- Oversee the technical support provided to MoH and NIPH in developing easy to understand Information, Education and Communication - IEC material on risks from COVID-19 and protection measures against it.
- Expand communication and coordinate with all stakeholders ( including UNDCO,UN Agencies and UK Embassy) using a wide range of communication tools available and create new if needed;
- Coordinate and prepare all events related to the UNFPA component of the joint project and ensure strong coverage of the events in the media.
- Ensure that the COVID-19 content produced within the project is accurate and the messages are in line with the projects main goal before dissemination;
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Duration and working schedule:
20 November 2020 – 31 March 2021 with possibility of extension pending on availability of funds.
The activities under the present assignment will commence on 20 November 2020 and conclude by 31 March 2021. During the aforementioned period, the consultant /candidate will be engaged full-time.
Place where services are to be delivered:
- Kosovo: Office/home-based, with meetings to be attended both virtually and physically as needed, depending on Covid-19 epidemiological situation.
Delivery dates and how work will be delivered (e.g. electronic, hard copy etc.):
- As per the Project Work Plan.
Monitoring and progress control, including reporting requirements, periodicity format and deadline:
- Format of the reporting should follow MPTF and UNFPA reporting tools.
- UNFPA will provide reporting templates, while reporting dates are listed above.
- Communication expert will directly report to the National expert /Project Coordinator under overall guidance of UNFPA Head of Office.
Expected travel: Kosovo
Inputs / services to be provided by UNFPA or implementing partner (e.g support services, office space, equipment), if applicable:
- UNFPA will provide the office space and all the necessary equipment for the task, such as laptop, camera, and other office equipment and all necessary information and materials.
Other relevant information or special conditions, if any:
- UNFPA reserves the right to offer to the selected candidate the rate in accordance with UNFPA consultant rates and UNFPA available budget. Payment for the consultant will not exceed average UNFPA rates for national consultants.
The payment will be done on the monthly salary bases.
Premises for signing the Contract with IC:
Before signing the Contract with UNFPA, the Individual Consultant is required to pass the following mandatory courses and submit the completion certificates to UNFPA:
- Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse https://extranet.unfpa.org/Apps/PSEA2017/
- Fraud and Corruption Awareness and Prevention https://extranet.unfpa.org/Apps/Antifraud/English/story_html5.html
Required Presentation of Offer:
The following documents are required to be submitted:
- Updated P11/ CV, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three professional references.
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport or National ID
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationship
- Communicating for impact
Managerial Competencies (if applicable):
- Providing strategic focus
- Engaging internal/external partners
- Leading, developing and empowering people/ creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
Functional Skill Set:
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- Master's degree in public relations, mass communication, journalism or any related field or
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, mass communication, journalism or any related field
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 2 years of relevant working experience for those with MA as journalist, PR, copywriter, social media specialist, or with similar communication assignments;
- Minimum 4 years of relevant working experience for those with BA as journalist, PR, copywriter, social media specialist, or with similar communication assignments;
- Previous experience in supporting government institutions in Communication, PR and social media is an asset;
- Proven ability to work in complex tasks with diverse range of partners;
- Proven analytical skills and report writing;
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for an international agency or donor organization or NGO is a strong asset;
- Experience in working with public health related issues is a distinct advantage;
- Excellent computer skills (especially MS Office) and ability to use information technology and social media as a tool and resource.
Fluency in English and Albanian is required. Good knowledge of other local languages is an asset.
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; you can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume;
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.