National Communication Expert to provide technical support to the Ministry of Health to produce attractive and easy understood COVID19 related messages as part of the UNFPA communication component
Location : Prishtina, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 27-Dec-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 05-Jan-2021
Duration of Initial Contract : 05 January 2021 – 31 March 2021 (with possibility of extension pending on availability of funds)
Expected Duration of Assignment : 05 January 2021 – 31 March 2021 (with possibility of extension pending on availability of funds)
UNFPA is the leading UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled.
Context and Purpose of consultancy:
UNFPA jointly with WHO, UNICEF and UN Women, and with funding from British Embassy in Pristina, are implementing the Project Return to (New) Normal: Strengthening resilience through a safe and inclusive return to normality in health and education in Kosovo in the wake of COVID-19. The project aims to ensure a safe return to normality taking into account the possibility of future waves of COVID-19 and allow for commensurate preparations, and a fair return to normality, which is inclusive, ensuring that groups that were already marginalized prior to the pandemic are not left behind even further.
In the area of health and awareness raising, the project will focus on the promotion of reliable COVID-19 messaging and preventative measures, which will be covered by UNFPA. This will include a Kosovo-wide campaign on raising awareness on COVID-19 threats and disbeliefs as well as technical support to Ministry of Health and National Institute of Public Health - NIPH to produce attractive and easy to understand COVID-19 related messages.
Under the joint supervision of the UNFPA Project Coordinator and the Director of Communication Department at MoH, the Communication expert will be responsible for the progress of the whole communication spectrum within the project.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesScope of work: (Description of services, activities, or outputs)
Breakdown of tasks and responsibilities is listed below, and reflects duties and expectations from Communication Expert:
- Set up concrete communication goals aimed to be achieved while supporting MoH throughout the lifespan of the project
- Support maintenance of MoH social networks such as on the Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. and supervise and update content across all channels with the primary purpose of informing the public, and improving the communication by posting text, photos, video, links, etc.
- Act as liaison between MoH and UNFPA Project Team to support and supervise the hired creative company in the production of promotional video materials in the conception, production and distribution
- Ensure the perspective of MoH and NIPH/Committee on Health Education and Promotion are included in all material produced by the hired creative company
- Prepare and coordinate promotional material from the whole spectrum of communication tools in support of the project to reach its target audience throughout Kosovo
- Provide technical support to MoH and NIPH in developing and distributing easy to understand Information, Education and Communication - IEC material on risks from COVID-19 and protection measures against it
- Strengthen and expand communication of MoH and coordinate with UNFPA National Communication Expert and all stakeholders (including UNDCO, UN Agencies and UK Embassy) using a wide range of communication tools available and create new if needed
- Coordinate COVID-19 messaging between MoH and NIPH and ensure the availability of these messages in all communication channels of MoH
- Support coordination and preparations of events of MoH related to COVID-19 and ensure strong coverage of the events in the media
- Ensure that the COVID-19 content produced within the project is accurate and the messages are in line with the projects main goal before dissemination
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by MoH and UNFPA leadership.
Duration and working schedule:
- 05 January 2021 – 31 March 2021 (with possibility of extension pending on availability of funds)
- The activities under the present assignment will commence on 05 January 2021 and conclude by 31 March 2021. During the aforementioned period, the consultant /candidate will be engaged full-time.
Place where services are to be delivered:
- Kosovo: MoH /home-based, with meetings to be attended both virtually and physically as needed, depending on Covid-19 epidemiological situation.
Delivery dates and how work will be delivered (e.g. electronic, hard copy etc.):
- As per the Project Work Plan.
Monitoring and progress control, including reporting requirements, periodicity format and deadline:
- Format of the reporting should follow MPTF and UNFPA reporting tools.
- UNFPA will provide reporting templates, while reporting dates are listed above.
- The Communication Expert will report to the UNFPA Project Coordinator and the Director of Communication Department at MoH. The Communication expert will be responsible for the progress of the whole communication spectrum within the project.
Expected travel: Kosovo
Inputs / services to be provided by UNFPA or implementing partner (e.g support services, office space, equipment), if applicable:
- MoH will provide the office space, if available. UNFPA will provide all necessary equipment for the task, such as laptop, and all necessary information and materials.
Other relevant information or special conditions, if any:
- UNFPA reserves the right to offer to the selected candidate the rate in accordance with UNFPA consultant rates and UNFPA available budget. Payment for the consultant will not exceed average UNFPA rates for national consultants. The payment will be done on the monthly salary bases.
Premises for signing the Contract with IC:
Before signing the Contract with UNFPA, the Individual Consultant is required to pass the following mandatory courses and submit the completion certificates to UNFPA:
- Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse https://extranet.unfpa.org/Apps/PSEA2017/
- Fraud and Corruption Awareness and Prevention https://extranet.unfpa.org/Apps/Antifraud/English/story_html5.html
Required Presentation of Offer:
The following documents are required to be submitted:
- Updated P11/ CV, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three professional references.
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport or National ID
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationship
- Communicating for impact
Managerial Competencies (if applicable):
- Providing strategic focus
- Engaging internal/external partners
- Leading, developing and empowering people/ creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
Functional Skill Set:
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
Required Skills and ExperienceThe UNFPA Kosovo Office is looking for a National consultant/Coordinator who has the following competencies and qualifications:
- Master's degree in public relations, mass communication, journalism or any related field
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, mass communication, journalism or any related field
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 2 years of relevant working experience for those with MA as journalist, PR, copywriter, social media specialist, or with similar communication assignments;
- Minimum 4 years of relevant working experience for those with BA as journalist, PR, copywriter, social media specialist, or with similar communication assignments;
- Previous experience in supporting government institutions in Communication, PR and social media is an asset;
- Proven ability to work in complex tasks with diverse range of partners;
- Proven analytical skills and report writing;
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for an international agency or donor organization or NGO is a strong asset;
- Experience in working with public institutions particularly on health related issues is a distinct advantage;
- Excellent computer skills (especially MS Office) and ability to use information technology and social media as a tool and resource.
- Fluency in English and Albanian is required. Good knowledge of Serbian language is an asset.
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; you can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume;
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.