- Requisition ID: GOV00000E
- Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA) / Consultant
- Grade: No grade
- Location: OSCE Mission in Kosovo, Prishtine / Pristina
- Posting Date: Sep 10, 2021
- External Closing Date: Sep 19, 2021
- Target Start Date: Oct 1, 2021
- Job Type: Consultant
- Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (First-level university degree or equivalent)
The OSCE Mission in Kosovo continuous to contribute to the institutional development efforts and technical advice and assistance to the Central Election Commission in the preparation of elections and in aligning current electoral practice with international standards by increasing the public confidence in the electoral process.
In 2021, the OSCE Mission in Kosovo (Mission) Democratization Department, implements project on “Cultivating a Human-Centred Approach to Developing Networks of Governance Effectiveness (CHANGE III)”. Among others, the project foresees implementation of several activities aiming on strengthening of electoral processes in Kosovo in line with international standards.
Central Election Commission (CEC) is a permanent independent body and responsible for organization and implementation of elections in Kosovo, including the work process in Count and Results Centre (CRC). The current software utilized by the CRC for tabulation of results is more than 10 years old and is not corresponding anymore to the institution’s needs. The CRC of the CEC are facing with the increased difficulties in aggregation and tabulation of results. The old technologies and administration of software requires a larger number of IT experts for technical support and system maintenance during the work process in the CRC. From 2009-2021, for each elections in Kosovo, the CEC had contracted an international company to update and maintain the CRC software.
Within this configuration the OSCE plays the lead role in assistance and provides an invaluable range of electoral support functions including technical and operational advice and assistance, planning, reporting and co-ordination. The CEC has well acknowledged the advantage of the assistance received from the Mission and other international organisations in Kosovo and requested the Mission’s assistance in December 2020. The request included the development of new software for live transmission of results, with a source code that can be managed by the CEC Secretariat staff, for their future elections. The new software will contribute to ensuring accessibility, transparency and accountability of the process that will have an important impact on public trust and that will ensure long-term sustainability.
Through this activity the Mission will promote the importance of the right to vote and democratic elections. Furthermore, it will contribute to promote the Mission’s work on the electoral support, in future.
Objective of Assignment:
Following a CEC request for support, the Mission will engage a Local IT Expert to support the International IT expert to carry out a baseline and needs assessment, draft software technical specifications for the tabulation of election results including its modules, provide guidance to the contracted company for the software development, maintain oversight on source-code repositories, manage the software and oversee its pilot period implementation.
Duration of Assignment:
The consultant will be engaged for a total of 60 days.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Activity Manager, the Local IT Expert shall:
- Support the International IT election expert to draft baseline and needs assessment for the tabulation of election results following the completion of the interviewing of key staff of the CEC Secretariat ICT along with recommendations;
- Support the International IT election expert to draft the software technical specifications for the tabulation of election results and its modules;
- Support the International IT election expert to oversees the development of software on tabulation of election results including its modules;
- Support the International IT election expert in providing guidance to the contracted company for the software development and ensure that it is complying with the agreed software engineering standards, policies and requirements.
- Support the International IT election expert to regularly control the compliance of the solution being implemented against the agreed requirements;
- Support the International IT election expert to maintain oversight on source-code repositories and ensuring that technical documentation is correct, complete, and up to date;
- Support the International IT election expert to manage the software and oversee its pilot period implementation;
- Produce the final consultancy report and recommendations for further action
- Support the International IT election expert to draft baseline and needs assessment for the tabulation of election results;
- Support the International IT election expert to organize online meetings with CECS staff and CEC Chair, CEO and ICT Director of CECS and brief reports on the meetings;
- Monthly reports covering the major tasks performed in the respective month;
- Final consultancy report
- Effective and efficient regular communication with the beneficiaries
- Flexible on possible new instructions from the Activity Manager
- Timely submission of all the deliverables and other products that are foreseen with this TOR, according to the timelines mentioned above
- University degree in computer science, software engineering or a related field
- At least five years of relevant professional experience at the national and international level, preferably in working with ICT systems used by the electoral management bodies
- Knowledge of local election legislation is an asset
- Ability and willingness to work as a member of a team, with people of different cultural and religious backgrounds, different gender, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity
- Excellent organizational skills with capacity to deal effectively with changing priorities
- Ability to keep strict deadlines and deal with several activities simultaneously
- Advanced software, and database development experience related to large scale data entry and data processing systems
- Experience in monitoring data integrity, consistency and development of complex database reports
- Good knowledge of English language, both written and verbal
- Excellent knowledge of one of the official languages (Albanian or Serbian), both written and verbal. Knowledge of both official languages is an asset.
Remuneration will depend on the qualifications and experience of individual experts as well as the detailed work plan to be agreed upon and will be based on the current OSCE consultancy rates
In order to apply for this position you must complete the OSCE's online application form, found under https://jobs.osce.org/vacancies. Applicants are encouraged to use the online recruitment and only fully completed OSCE applications will be accepted. However, if you have technical difficulties with the system you may use the offline application form found under https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/offline-application-form and forward the completed form quoting the vacancy number by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In line with your qualifications please indicate preference to one or more field of expertise listed above (while using the online application the field of expertise preference can be indicated in the cover letter part). Kindly note that applications received after the deadline, submitted in different formats than the OSCE Application Form or in other languages than the English language would not be considered. The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply.