Local Expert for development of the GHG emission inventories and at municipal levels and capacity building of municipal sectoral officials
Location : Prishtina with expected travel to Prizren and Suhareka, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 08-Mar-22 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 20-Mar-2022
Duration of Initial Contract : 20 March 2022 – 31 July 2022
Expected Duration of Assignment : 20 March 2022 – 31 July 2022
In Kosovo, the first GHG Inventory emissions at the local level for Prizren city were compiled with the support of the UNDP in 2019. The Prizren’s GHG emissions Inventory was developed using the 2006 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories, Global Protocol for Community-Scale Greenhouse Gas Emission Inventories (GPC), ISO 14064 GHG Protocol. Sectoral data for GHG emissions estimation were compiled from various sources, primarily using Kosovo data and consultations with Prizren sectoral departments, the Kosovo Agency of Statistics, and other city-specific information sources. Due to unavailability of city-specific data and information sectoral emission from Transport, Industrial Processes and Industrial Products Use; Land Use, Land Use Change, and Forestry (LULUCF) - not estimated.
The Suharekë/Suva Reka municipality never has developed the GHG emission Inventory and there are no capacities on GHG relevant data collection, accounting, and computing.
In accordance with UN resolution 72/279 and the subsequent global rollout of United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Frameworks (UNSDCF), the proposed intervention is fully aligned with the UN Kosovo Team UNSDCF outcome 3 “By 2025, women and men in Kosovo, particularly youth and vulnerable groups, have increased access to decent work and benefit from sustainable and inclusive economic development that is more resilient to impacts of climate change, disasters and emergencies”. The Strengthening Local Climate Action project’s aim is to reduce GHG emissions and thus contribute to moving towards carbon-neutral development pathways through targeted climate change mitigation actions, reduced GHG emissions, and improved environmental protection in the municipalities of Prizren and Suharekë/Suva Reka.
Thus, the Strengthening Local Climate Action project seeks to further enhance the Prizren GHG emission inventory and develop the GHG emissions inventory for Suharekë/ Suva Reka municipality. The data compiled will include quantified GHGs emissions from human-made activities occurring in a given year in the municipality of Suharekë/Suva Reka, including urban and rural areas. The data can include (but are not limited to) the amount of oil consumed, electricity used, trees planted, road transportation, and agricultural soils. In order to be comparable with previously gathered data from Prizren and the Kosovo GHG inventory, the official refined Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) inventory guidelines from 2019 (based on 2006) are applied and the IPCC sector classification. The process of GHG emission inventories development must include a strong capacity-building component for the municipal sectoral officials and relevant representatives of private businesses and university students to build their knowledge and capacities to prepare future GHG emission inventories independently.
Objectives of Assignment
The purpose of this assignment is to support Prizren municipality in upgrading its GHG emission inventory with rural and transportation sectors, and to support Suhareka/ Suva Reka in producing their GHG emission inventory, as well as to build capacities to compile quantified GHG emission data for municipal sectoral representatives of both municipalities, private business representatives, and students.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesThe Local Expert shall be responsible to:
1. Provide a work plan at the start of the consultancy, which clearly indicates the methodology and anticipated target outputs.
2. In close cooperation with Project, MGCC and International Expert coordinate and obtain sectoral data for compiling GHG emission inventories
- Coordinate with relevant institutions for data collection for the GHG inventories.
- Collect data for Prizren Municipality for updating the GHG inventory and in addition, collect missing data from other required sectors.
- Collect data for Suharekë/Suva Reka Municipality required sectors.
- Ensure that collected activity data from various sectors are of reliable and excellent quality and have followed the IPCC guidelines.
- Support compiling data and computation for the Prizren and Suharekë/Suva Reka Baseline GHG Inventories according to IPCC guidelines
3. In close cooperation with International Experts, coordinate with KEPA to analyze, identify the options to the adoption of the existing GHG emission Inventory Tool/Calculator, for compiling GHG emission inventories of Prizren and Suharekë/Suva Reka municipalities.
- Support the adaptation and preparation of the GHG Emission Inventory Tool/Calculator
- Support the development of a Manual to describe the steps for conducting local GHG inventory for future preparation of local GHG inventories
4. Support the design of the training program and provide training to sectoral municipal officials, representatives of the representatives of private businesses, and university students on:
- GHG emission inventory preparation, and how to compile data including quantified GHGs emissions from human-made activities, including urban and rural areas as per IPCC 2006 Guidelines and in line with the methodology of Kosovo Inventories produced by KEPA.
- Uses of the GHG emission Inventory Tool
- Uncertainty Analysis and Quality Control regarding data collection and GHG calculation for Prizren and Suharekë/Suva Reka Municipality
- Most appropriate inventory methodology (tier system) data quality control and assessment and how to reduce uncertainties in the collection of activity data.
- GHG Inventory Archiving System, a Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) for GHG emissions and sinks
- Contributes and support preparing training report with recommendations.
Note: Local training is preferable to be in a face-to-face mode so that trainees can receive maximum feedback and interaction with the Consultant.
5. In close cooperation with MGGC support and coordinate the development of GHG Inventory Reports
- Upgrade the existing Prizren GHG Inventory Report with rural data emission and if possible, transport emissions.
- Prepare Suharekë/Suva Reka Baseline GHG Inventory Report.
- Organize and conduct the validation workshop with stakeholders for developed GHG Inventory Reports.
- Support addressing any comments/feedback for final inventory reports for both Municipalities, incorporated from stakeholders, donors and UNDP in line with Kosovo as well as UNFCCC requirements
- Support compiling a bibliography of all information sources (Documents, library, database).
Note: The National Inventory Report includes a description of the data, methods, and assumptions used in preparing the GHG estimates, as well as a calculation spreadsheet to enable the verification and reconstruction of the GHG estimates and to contribute to the transparency of Prizren and Suharekë/Suva Reka GHG information.
6. Any other activities as may be required in line with the objectives of the assignment.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
1. A work plan at the start of the consultancy, which clearly indicates the methodology and anticipated to achieve target outputs (estimated date of completion 23 March 2022)
2. Meetings and consultancy with stakeholders on approach and data collection (estimated date of completion 30 April 2022)
3. GHG Emission Inventory Tool/Calculator adaptation/or spreadsheet (estimated date of completion 30 May 2022)
4. Manual to describe the steps for conducting a local GHG inventory (estimated date of completion 15 June 2022)
5. Training program (estimated date of completion 15 June 2022)
6. Provide training to sectoral municipal officials, representatives of private businesses, and university students and training reports with recommendations (estimated date of completion 15 July 2022)
7. Upgraded Prizren GHG Inventory Report with rural data emission and if possible, transport emissions (estimated date of completion 31 July 2022)
8. Suharekë/Suva Reka GHG Inventory Report (estimated date of completion 31 July 2022)
9. A presentation of findings and a validation workshop on a date to be agreed by both parties (estimated date of completion 10 August 2022)
Remuneration - Lump Sum Amount
The Contract is based on lump sum remuneration and shall be processed subject to deliverables as per the schedule listed below:
- 20% of total contract amount upon completion of deliverables 1, 2, 3, 4
- 40% of total contract amount upon completion of deliverables 5, 6
- 40% of total contract amount upon completion of deliverables 7, 8 and 9
Required Presentation of Offer:
The following documents are requested:
- Personal CV and P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Offeror and at least three (3) professional references.
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment.
- Technical proposal, a max. 2-page document briefly outlining the methodology envisaged for the assignment for delivering the expected results within the indicated timeframe.
- Financial Proposal that indicates lump sum payment based on completion of deliverables.
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport.
Criteria for selection of the Best Offer
Offers will be evaluated utilizing a combined Scoring method – where the qualifications and technical proposal will be weighted a max. of 70% and combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30.
Technical score: 70% weight allocated as follows:
A/ The evaluation of the technical offer will be as follows:Criteria Points Max Points Post Graduate degree in Environmental Science, Energy, Economics, or any other relevant qualification in related fields. 10pts - At least 2 years of experience and supporting the preparation of GHG Inventories; and related activities. 15pts - Experience with Central and Local Institutions. 15 pts - Supporting training on GHG inventories. 15 pts Assessment of the methodological note and of the implementation schedule by the evaluation committee.
- Quality of writing and of the presentation: 20 points
- Understanding of the assignment: 25 points 45 pts Total 100 pts
Financial score: financial offer (30% weight)
B/ Evaluation of the financial offers: Only the financial proposals of the applications selected following the technical evaluation with a minimum of 70/100 points will be considered for the financial evaluation.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Ability to synthesize research and draw conclusions on the related subjects;
- Good analytical and report writing skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Responds positively to critical feedback.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- Post Graduate degree in Environmental Science, Energy, Economics, or any other relevant qualification in related fields.
- At least 2 years’ experience and played a supporting role in the preparation of the GHG Inventories and GHG Inventory Archiving System, a Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) for GHG emissions and related activities; experience in Kosovo and/or region is an asset.
- Has experience in supporting training for GHG Inventory and MRV for GHG emissions.
- Has working experience with central and local institutions.
- Preferable to have knowledge of the following:
- Guidelines for the preparation of National Communications from Parties not included in Annex I to the Convention adopted by Conference of Parties (Decision adopted by COP Decision 17/CP 8).
- 2006 IPCC guidelines for GHG inventories.
- IPCC Greenhouse Gas Inventory Software.
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English.
- Click on the "Apply now" button.
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; You can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box.
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume.
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.