- Issued by: OSCE Mission in Kosovo
- Requisition ID: MED00000N
- Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA) / Consultant
- Grade: No grade
- Job Type: Consultant
- Number of posts: 1
- Location: OSCE Mission in Kosovo, Prishtine / Pristina
- Posting Date: Mar 23, 2022
- Closing Date: Apr 4, 2022
- Target Start Date: Apr 18, 2022
- Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (First-level university degree or equivalent)
- Job Field: Media Affairs
The Association of Journalists of Kosovo (AJK) is a non-governmental organization whose mission is to protect the freedoms and rights of journalists, to promote, encourage and improve quality and open journalism in Kosovo, as well as the position of journalists in Kosovo. The AJK was established in 2002 and it counts over 740 media professionals, journalists, photojournalists, cameramen, editors and is open to membership from all ethnic communities in Kosovo.
Implementation of the Law on the use of languages remains uneven and limited across all institutions in Kosovo. In spite of continued efforts by the Office of the Language Commissioner to promote, protect language rights and ensure implementation of the Law on Official Languages, stronger support by the government to consolidate language policies is necessary. Efforts to provide timely translation into all official languages for journalists from different ethnic communities is highly necessary and critical to improve inter-community relations and professional exchange.
In order to reach out to all journalists residing in Kosovo, and to adhere to the implementation of the Law on Official Languages, the Mission will support the AJK by recruiting a local consultant who will translate relevant documents, regulations, public announcements, decisions and other documents produced by the AJK that are relevant to non-majority media and journalists, and provide interpretation from English/Albanian into Serbian language.
Objective of Assignment:
The local consultant will assist the AJK in translating relevant documents regulations, public announcements, decisions and other documents produced by the AJK that are relevant to non-majority media and journalists, and interpreting from English/Albanian into Serbian language
Duration of Assignment:
The consultant will be engaged for a total of 144 days.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Media Section (MS) Activity Manager, Chairperson of the Association of Journalists (AJK) and AJK’s secretariat, the local consultant will:
- Translate official documents from English/Albanian to Serbian and vice-versa that are relevant to the work of the AJK.
- Interpret simultaneously and consecutively for the AJK representatives from English/Albanian to Serbian language and vice-versa during official meetings, seminars, conferences, meetings, roundtable discussions, official trips.
- Update regularly the AJK website and its content in Serbian language.
After receiving information from MS Activity Manager on planned tasks assigned, the local consultant will:
- Within 5 days from the contract signature, to submit a detailed plan enlisting documents to be translated including timelines;
- Submit the translated AJK Statute and Rules and Procedure to the Mission by 10 May 2022;
- Between 18 April to 15 December the consultant will submit monthly reports that enlist:
- Summary of translated documents;
- Summary of the meetings/conferences/roundtables where translation was provided;
- Summary of the regularly updated content of the AJK website in Serbian language;
- Updated website and its content in Serbian language;
- Translation of the AJK relevant documents as requested by the MS Activity Manager;
- A summarized report of all translations during the consultancy;
- Consultancy implemented as planned.
- University degree in languages, social science or a related degree;
- Minimum five years of experience in translation or interpretation;
- Excellent translation and interpretation skills from English/Albanian to Serbian language;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Computer literacy.
Remuneration will depend on the qualifications and experience of individual experts as well as the detailed work plan to be agreed upon and will be based on the current OSCE consultancy rates.
In order to apply for this position you must complete the OSCE's online application form, found under https://vacancies.osce.org/. Applicants are encouraged to use the online recruitment and only fully completed OSCE applications will be accepted. However, if you have technical difficulties with the system you may use the offline application form found under https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model and forward the completed form quoting the vacancy number by e-mail to: email@example.com. In line with your qualifications please indicate preference to one or more field of expertise listed above (while using the online application the field of expertise preference can be indicated in the cover letter part). Kindly note that applications received after the deadline, submitted in different formats than the OSCE Application Form or in other languages than the English language would not be considered. The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic, and social backgrounds to apply.