Local Consultant to conduct a “Feasibility Study on cultural, social and economic Revival of Janjeve/Janjevo”
Location : Prishtina, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 16-Jun-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 19-Jun-2020
Duration of Initial Contract : 19 June 2020 – 07 July 2020 (17 working days within this period)
BackgroundCultural heritage in Kosovo should be perceived as generator of both local and national economic development.
Appropriate policy development, protection of natural and cultural heritage, investments in infrastructure, amongst others, including sustainable interventions are fundamental to economic development.As part of the IPA programme on Cultural Heritage and Rural Development programming the “Conservation and Regeneration of Janjevë/Janjevo Historic Centre” foresees a series of interventions in Janjeve/Janjevo, aiming to revive its historic part. The intervention includes conservation and improvement of the Historic Centre of Janjevë/Janjevo, including socio-economic integration of the local community. Focusing on improvement of primary infrastructure (sewage system, water supply, etc.) followed by the improvement of public spaces and living environment through conservation of selected buildings, as well as promotion of tourism-based economy. Through these activities the aim is to not only recover the current situation to extent possible, but also to tackle the long-term development of socio-economic aspect of the local population.
A pre-condition for the development of the project is the feasibility study which should provide a clear guidance on how the socio-economic component of the project should be designed, planned and implemented including timelines for short, medium and long-term interventions. UNDP has already initiated a separate feasibility study for the physical reconstruction and rehabilitation of selected sites in the historic centre.
Objectives of Assignment
Prepare a feasibility study for the cultural, social and economic revival of Janjevë/ Janjevo integrating both physical and economic aspects in the context of cultural tourism.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesUnder the overall guidance of Governance and Peacebuilding Portfolio Manager/ Deputy Programme Coordinator the consultant is required to undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
Analysis of the current situation:
- Conduct a desk review of historical documentation/ literature, demographic and statistical data, strategic plans, policies, projects and initiatives, related to the village of Janjevë/ Janjevo, and its cultural, social and economic revival;
- Conduct consultations and interviews with all stakeholders (including the Ministry, Department for cultural Heritage, the Municipality, the council of the village, local NGOs and economic operators, leaders of minority communities, local religious leaders, University of Pristina and Croatian Embassy)
- Identify sectors which can be prioritised in order to drive the social and economic revival; Identify and validate key infrastructure, policy, financial, educational resources and requirements, and other relevant requirements for each sector related socio-economic development;
- Validate the information through consultations with stakeholders;
- Identify barriers and challenges – if any - that could affect the development and sustainability of the sectors and identify and analyze any governance and capacity issues.
Design the intervention concept:
- Outline strategic objectives for each sector and outline actions/action plans, related activities/interventions and results (corresponding to outcome and output levels) with realistic timeline.
- Analyse and integrate the findings and recommendations of the feasibility study for physical reconstruction and rehabilitation of selected sites in the historic centre
- Consult with relevant central and municipal institutions, to validate the proposed interventions and sectors;
- Prepare a logical matrix with SMART indicators and targets based on objective(s) and outcomes(s) as they relate to inputs and outputs;
- Clearly identify immediate, short-term (6 to 12 months), mid-term (12 to 36 months) and long-term interventions (36 months and beyond) which would lead to economic revival;
- Provide an analysis of a) the sustainability of each proposed intervention comprising information on its long-term impact, local ownership and cost-effectiveness (evidence-based and proof of concept);
Prepare the feasibility study:
- Draft the feasibility study for the cultural, social and economic revival/development of Janjeve.
- Desk review and analysis of the current situation, including meetings and validation (6 working days)
- Design the intervention concept (5 working days)
- Prepare the draft feasibility study (5 working days)
- Present the final version of the feasibility study (incl. incorporating any comments from UNDP, substantial and technical) (1 working day)
Deliverables / Final Products Expected
- Feasibility study for the cultural, social and economic revival/development of Janjevë/ Janjevo.
Remuneration - Lump sum payment (based on deliverables)
Required Presentation of Offer:
The following documents are required to be submitted:
- Updated P11 or CV, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three professional references.
- Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability
- Financial proposal must indicate the all-inclusive fixed total contract price by breakdown of costs per deliverables, inclusive of all expenses (travel, living allowance and other incidentals). The offeror must indicate at this point and ensure that all such costs are duly incorporated in the financial proposalsubmitted to UNDP. The contract price is fixed regardless of changes in the cost components.
- Methodological approach to preparing the feasibility study, including considerations and impact of interventions based on gender, age, and ethnicity, which must be clearly stipulated in the final study.
- Copy of Diplomas
Criteria for selection of the Best Offer
Offers will be evaluated utilizing a combined Scoring method – where the technical qualifications, the relevant work experience and the technical proposal will be weighted a max. of 70% and combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30%.
- Demonstrates professional competence to meet responsibilities and post requirements and is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Results-Orientation: Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals, generates innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations;
- Communication: Excellent communication skills, including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations, both orally and in writing, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match different audiences;
- Teamwork: Ability to interact, establish and maintain effective working relations with a culturally diverse team;
- Client orientation: Ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with national partners and stakeholders and pro-activeness in identifying of beneficiaries and partners’ needs and matching them to appropriate solutions;
- Knowledge and skills in communicating Early Warning products and services;
- Designing, and implementing communications strategies;
- Monitoring and conceptual skills.
- Excellent organizational and research skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to build trust;
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modelling UN values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
BA in economics, development, finance, business, architecture, sociology, psychology or another related field.
- At least 10 years of technical experience in business development, local sustainable development or investment for development;
- Substantial relevant experience in assessments/feasibility studies, including design of integrated development projects/interventions;
- Track record in the formulation of similar projects/interventions (project/intervention design, development of log-frame/logical matrix with SMART indicators, work plan) in the area of cultural heritage, sustainable tourism and development of local communities;
- Experience in working with EU and familiarity with processes and procedures is a distinct advantage;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Exceptional ability in communication, writing and networking;
- High personal integrity;
- Fluency in English and Albanian is obligatory. Knowledge of Serbian is an asset.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office applications and other ICT devices and internet.
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; you can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume;
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.