Decentralisation and Municipal Support (DEMOS) is a project of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), co-financed by Sweden and Norway and implemented by HELVETAS. Currently our project team is looking for a
The Legal Consultant/Advisor will support the Ministry of Local Government (MLG) with the following:
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Provide legal drafting assistance for sub-legal acts including MLG’s regulations and administrative instructions.
- Support MLG through legal advice on matters, issues and obligations in response to the needs and requests of municipalities.
- Strengthen the legality review process in relation to the Municipal Performance Grant (Minimum Condition 2)
- Contribution to the concept document and the new law on performance
- Coordination with and support to the Performance department, in order to review the Municipal Performance Management System, implementing the measurement performance process, and managing PerformanceGrant system.
- Support the Local Government best practices study;
- Create and/or analyse legal documents to help MLG for the implementation of the Government Strategy on local self-government and meeting EU agenda requirements.
- Provide legal advice on implementation of local self-government legislation to ensure that MLG and municipalities are in right standing with the law.
- Provide legal assistance for sub-legal acts, review of the legislation and international agreements as well as provide legal opinion and advice on implementation of legislation.
- Prepare reports for MLG and municipalities related to legal matters and policy issues as requested or needed.
- Provide other support based on the needs of the General Secretary and the MLG.
Candidates should meet the following requirements:
Qualifications and skills
- Master degree in law;
- PhD or bar examination in law will be considered an asset
- Fluency in English, Albanian and/or Serbian;
- Academic specialisation and/or professional certification is desired.
- Eight (8) years of demonstrated experience in democratization, governance and/or rule of law
- Experience in the region (South East Europe/Western Balkans) will be considered an asset
- Experience working with public institutions (local and central)
- Strong research skills and knowledge on local government
- Four (4) years of demonstrated experience in policy and legal development
- Expertise in legal review and legal drafting
- Extensive knowledge of the legal framework on local self-government and decentralization
- Experience working with public institutions in the area of local governance
The assignment is up to nine (9) months. The successful applicant will be mainly based in the MLG offices in Pristina. The successful applicant might be required to travel to municipalities throughout Kosovo.
Please send your CV (indicating phone number) with two reference persons (of which one from an international organisation) until latest 14 January 2021, 16:00 CET by email to email@example.com.
Only short-listed candidates may be invited for an interview.
The successful candidate may be required to present copies of diplomas, certificates and other documents.
HELVETAS provides equal employment opportunities for all candidates and encourages applications from female and non-majority communities in Kosovo.