Recruitment for Chemonics International
- Position Title: Legal and Regulatory Improvement Advisor (LRIA)
- Position Type: Cooperating Country National (Kosovo citizen or lawfully admitted permanent resident)
- Period of Assignment: Long-term, full-time
- Reports to: Business Environment Improvement Objective Lead
- Location: Pristina
The USAID Kosovo Economic Governance Activity is a five-year initiative that started in April 2019 to support Kosovo counterparts to implement significant reforms that will improve the simplicity, transparency, accountability and efficiency of government operations, strengthen public financial management, and improve responsive public-private dialogue, through adoption and confirmation of self-reliant, inclusive governance processes, ability, and systems. The support will be offered through the following three objectives:
- Business Environment Improvement;
- Strengthened Public Financial Management; and,
- Enhanced Strategic Communications.
Working in the Business Environment Improvement Objective of the USAID Kosovo Economic Governance Activity, the Legal and Regulatory Improvement Advisor will support Activity public and private sector counterparts to implement business environment reform initiatives and align with best international principles. The Legal and Regulatory Improvement Advisor (LRIA) will support key Government of Kosovo and private sector partners to identify, implement, and monitor reforms in improving governance and the business environment, facilitating private sector growth consistent with principles of simple, transparent, accountable, representative, service-oriented and universally applied/experienced governance processes. The LRIA will pursue reforms in this area to be captured in the project Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plan. The term of assignment is for the life of the project, subject to satisfactory performance. The Legal and Regulatory Improvement Advisor will at all times adhere to, and act according to Chemonics’ Professional Code of Ethics (“Living Our Values”).
SPECIFIC TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support key Government of Kosovo counterparts, including the Ministry of Industry, Entrepreneurship and Trade; Ministry of Environment, Spatial Planning and Infrastructure; Ministry of Finance, Labor and Transfers; and partner municipalities to align existing inspections planning mechanisms, processes and procedures with the newly adopted Law on Inspections and OECD international principles, and in cooperation and input from both public and private sector representatives, tailor them to the Kosovo context;
- Support key Government of Kosovo and private sector partners to identify, implement and monitor business environment reforms to increase administrative efficiency and accountability, and reduce private sector burden;
- With Strategic Communications Objective staff, identify and support opportunities to expand and institutionalize mechanisms for engagement between the government and the private sector, improve communications within government counterparts and between government and the private sector, and increase use of operational outcome-based performance metrics;
- Contribute to component activities design under the direction of the Business Environment Improvement Objective Lead, with input from local team and counterparts;
- Meet or exceed all quantitative project goals and performance deadlines linked to this position as articulated in the project Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plan and annual work plans;
- Other tasks as required.
- Experience (Required) - Minimum 5 years of general working experience and minimum 3 years of specific working experience in business environment or public administration reform, inspections, trade, construction, or related field;
- Education (Required) – University degree in law;
- Language Skills (Required) – English and Albanian fluency, with excellent writing and presentation skills. Serbian language skill preferred;
- Computer Skills (Required) - Word processing (Microsoft Word), spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel), e-mail (Microsoft Outlook);
- Interpersonal Skills (Required) – Proven ability to work professionally, constructively and collaboratively as part of team, meet deadlines, communicate effectively, and deal with diverse counterparts (including high-level government officials, entrepreneurs and international donors) in a challenging environment;
- Self-Motivation and Guidance (Required) – Strong individual initiative and ability to manage daily activities and achieve expected results with or without direct oversight.
LEVEL OF EFFORT (LOE) AND TIMING
This assignment is a full-time position starting with one-year contract.
Please send electronic applications, including ONLY a CV and cover letter, to email@example.com by March 30, 2022, no later than 3:00 PM. Please indicate the position title” Legal and Regulatory Improvement Advisor” in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.