The United States Peace Corps program in Kosovo seeks qualified and motivated candidates for the following full-time position.
Language and Cross-Cultural Liaison
The United States Peace Corps is a non-political, non-religious organization, which brings American Volunteers to Kosovo to work alongside counterparts teaching English in schools and working with Municipalities and NGOs on community projects. The Peace Corps is an agency of the United States Government and was founded by President John F. Kennedy in 1961. General information about Peace Corps can be found on www.peacecorps.gov.
Under the supervision of the Director of Programming & Training (DPT), and under the guidance of the Language and Cross Cultural Coordinator, Training Manager and Program Managers (PMs), the Language and Cross-Cultural Liaison (LCL), as part of the Programming and Training Unit, coordinates the Post’s language and cross-cultural activities for Serbian/Bosnian language. In addition to being the primary contact for the planning and facilitation of the Serbian language and cultural learning activities of Peace Corps Trainees during the Peace Corps Pre Service Training (PST) and all In-Service Training (IST) events, the LCL provides ongoing language and Volunteer resilience support to Volunteers serving in non-majority communities that are speakers of Serbian/Bosnian language. The LCL is also responsible for contributing to partnership development and coordination with key stakeholders living and working in Serb communities throughout Kosovo in order to facilitate site placement of Volunteers in the respective communities.
- Supports the implementation and smooth operation of the Peace Corps language/cross-cultural training program for its Peace Corps Volunteers and Trainees;
- Develops Serbian language and cultural training sessions and materials for adult learners and delivers training sessions and provides language instruction in person and/or virtually (both formal and informal) to American Trainees and Volunteers and supports them with on-going community entry skills during Pre-Service and In-Service Training events.
- Participates in training of trainers events, and lives and works in one of the training communities during the 10-week Volunteer Pre-Service Training. Provides formal instruction in language acquisition of Trainees 6 days per week within the community, following the guidance provided by the Language and Cross Cultural- Coordinator.
- Assesses Volunteer and Trainee language/cross-cultural proficiency and provides regular feedback on progress in learning;
- Meets and collaborates regularly with Programming and Training staff for briefings on programming and training and provides recommendations and suggestions for improving the existing language curriculum, community activities, program outreach and Volunteer support.
- Serves as a cultural model and “guide” for Trainees, bridges and promotes understanding of the cultures of Kosovo and the US;
- Provides ongoing support to Program Managers in identifying communities, organizations, and other resources helpful for the placement of Volunteers, and provides ongoing support to Volunteers and staff.
- University degree, equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field. Degrees in Serbian language, linguistics, language education, instructional design or similar fields are desirable.
- 5+years of experience in language instruction, training design & delivery, and general program administration.
- Experience working in cross-cultural settings.
- Exposure to online learning.
- Language Proficiency: C1+ language proficiency (speaking, listening, reading, writing) in English, C2 in Serbian, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) https://www.coe.int/en/web/common-european-framework-reference-languages/table-1-cefr-3.3-common-reference-levels-global-scale
- Citizen of Kosovo
Level of Effort & Salary:
This position begins as a FSN Grade Equivalent 6 with an approximate annual gross salary starting from 17,127 € + benefits.
How to Apply:
Candidates should send a current CV and a statement of interest to: email@example.com. Proficiency levels (speaking, listening, reading, and writing) of all languages spoken should be included in CVs.
Please do not submit more documents than have been requested. Emailed applications should only contain two documents: the CV and the letter of interest.
The SUBJECT LINE of this email MUST state: Application for Language and Cross-Cultural Liaison. Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Closing date: Applications must be received no later than midnight Monday, March 22, 2020 to be considered.
Important! Candidates must be citizens of Kosovo and must provide a Court Certificate confirming that you are not under investigation.
No phone calls or personal visits related to this vacancy will be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The Peace Corps is an equal opportunity employer.
* Short listed candidates will be asked to provide a sample lesson plan and facilitate an online language lesson for the panel.
*The selected candidate will undergo security clearance from US. Embassy in Kosovo.