Temporary Job Opening – Internal and External
Temporary Job Opening #: TJO(N) - 020/003 – 2nd Issuance
Deadline: 30 December 2020
Post Title: Laboratory Technician
Level: GL- 5
Organizational Unit: Medical Section
UNMIK invites qualified internal staff members as well as external applicants in the relevant occupational group to apply for the position highlighted below. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, Personal History Profile (PHP) or Personal History form (P.11) and copy of the latest two Performance reports (if applicable).
Kindly note that applications upon receipt will be reviewed and only applicants who are short-listed will receive an acknowledgement within six weeks from the deadline for submission of applications.
Please indicate the Job Opening number in the subject of your e-mail
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Chief Medical Officer/designated, the Laboratory Technician manages the UNMIK Clinic laboratory located in Pristina and carries out COVID19 outbreak laboratory tests ( PCR and Antibody tests) as requested consistent with international medical procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The laboratory technician will be responsible for the following duties:
- Ensure all infection control protocols lab technicians related to COVID 19 Testing (PCR /Antibody) of suspected COVID-19 infected patients.
- Performs safety Testing for COVID-19 PCR from the amplification of the target DNA or RNA to detectable levels)
- Performs Safety collection the swab sample from the nasopharyngeal area or the Oropharyngeal
- Ensures Safety transport of the samples to the lab area where identification of the virus is
- Performs COVID 19 Antibody rapid
- Communicate the results to the Chief medical officer or designated before communicating them to the
- Follow the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of test
- Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Adhere to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
- Uses appropriately the Personal Protective equipment:
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problems or immediately notify The CMO/Medical
- Ensures the security and maintenance of laboratory and the
- Provides technical support for lab diagnosis referrals as requested by the Medical Officer/
- Monitors, assesses and evaluates the completion of laboratory registration book with laboratory results according to the guidelines, and reports the laboratory results, as well as makes this available upon official request to the Clinician/Medical
- Ensures confidentiality and keeps relevant information of all laboratory
- Monitors consumption of material and reagents on a weekly basis and prepares monthly orders with sufficient advance information to the designated Pharmacist/Medical Supply Officer based on consumption
- Ensures the maintenance of cold chain/refrigerator and perform necessary measures to maintain optimum temperature of all reagents, specimens, and materials requiring cold chain in the laboratories.
- Ensures and supervises the performance of laboratory procedures concerning emergency blood transfusion and cross matching and the implementation of the agreed
- Prepares monthly data report of lab activities according to mission reporting
- Prepares the dispatch and results of monthly Internal and External Quality Control specimens for submission to Reference Labs and ensure the follow up of tests
- Attends and participates in mission’s Medical Services staff
- Conducts in the in-service training of all mission Medical staff on laboratory standard operating procedures, laboratory waste management, bio-safety rules, and other relevant
- Participates and attends Lab Officer/Supervisor’s required lectures and/or in-service trainings and participate in evaluations of learned knowledge and/or
- Calibrates complex and sensitive electronic laboratory equipment such as spectrophotometers, ph. meters, centrifuges, and
- Performs other duties as required
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: High School diploma or equivalent diploma in Laboratory Studies/Techniques. National registration and license is required.
Experience: A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in a full-service laboratory or related area.
LANGUAGES: For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
As specified above, internal applicants are requested to submit a cover letter referring to Job Opening No. TJO(N)- 020/003 2nd issuance along with completed PHP/P11 to the attention of Human Resources Section by mail, fax or email to the following addresses:
P P.O. Box 999,10000 Pristina, Kosovo, Fax No: +381-38-504604 ext 5848
E-mail to email@example.com
The UN is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications equally from men and women. It is a UN Policy to give full consideration to disabled candidates whose disablement does not militate against the effective performance of the duties of the post.