Location : Kosovo, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 24-Mar-21 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 01-Apr-2021
Duration of Initial Contract : April-December 2021
Expected Duration of Assignment : April-December 2021
The Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia (REU) is responsible for leading FAO's response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO's priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. REU also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization's Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The Programme “Support to strengthening sustainable and multipurpose forest management to improve rural livelihoods and address climate change in Kosovo” - GCP/KOS/007/SWE aims at increasing the contribution of forest sector’s to the Kosovo economy through a participatory and gender-responsive forest management and is strengthened in accordance with relevant rules on forests and supported with value-chains for poverty alleviation.
The Programme is structured around three components, each further operationalized into specific outputs and activities. The first component is dedicated to improving timber legality, trade and law enforcement in forest sector. Outputs aim at preparing the necessary by-laws, improving public service capacities to support law enforcement with new skills and equipment, and generate public support to combat illegal activities in the forest sector.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Translator reports to the Local Team Leader and to the Budget Holder.
Translation and interpretation from English to Albanian and/or Serbian and vice versa
Tasks and responsibilities
Duties will specifically include (but may not be limited to) the following:
- Translate project written materials (letters, reports and other documents) into and from English to and from Albanian or Serbian as requested;
- Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy;
- Follow up with internal team members to ensure translation meets their needs;
- Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its original format (e.g. font and structure);
- Provide oral translation/interpretation (simultaneous or consecutive) from Albanian and or Serbian to English and viceversa during workshops, conferences, meetings and field visits;
- Perform other related duties as requested by Team Leader or Programme Management Team.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvemen
Required Skills and Experience
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Diploma or University degree in disciplines related to the fields of work of FAO
- Courses which specialise in linguistics or translation are advantage but not essential
- At least 2 years of proven professional experience as a translator, interpreter or similar role
- Show an understanding of the communication requirements of a UN agency.
- Albanian or Serbian as mother language
- Excellent English oral, writing and reporting skills.
- Previous employment in international organizations preferably within the UN specialized agencies
- Possess good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity; and
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Experience with translation / interpretation in the field of forestry.
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
Candidates should upload language certificate/s when submitting their application. For details visit http://www.fao.org/3/I8446EN/i8446en.pdf
For more information, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
For further information on categories, contract duration and honoraria, please refer to the Conditions page
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should send their application not later than 17:00h, Wednesday 24 March 2021 to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org together with the following documentation:
- Detailed CV with references to experiences and work related to translation
- University diploma
- Motivation Letter
- References of the work performed as a translator/interpreter.