- Issued by: OSCE Mission in Kosovo
- Requisition ID: PUB00000A
- Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA) / Consultant
- Grade: No grade
- Job Type: Consultant
- Number of posts: one
- Location: OSCE Mission in Kosovo, Prishtine / Pristina
- Posting Date: Mar 3, 2022
- Closing Date: Mar 24, 2022
- Target Start Date: Jul 1, 2022
- Education Level: Master's Degree (Second-level university degree or equivalent)
Taking in consideration that the current youth policy in Kosovo is based on the Law on Youth Empowerment and Participation adopted in 2009, the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports (MCYS) have decided to update this policy with a new law that responds to the needs and priorities of the youth sector. In order to further promote inclusiveness and transparency, the MCYS has sought support from the OSCE Mission in Kosovo in conducting this process.
With the aim to increase public participation of young women and men in the policy-development process and incorporate their concerns and recommendations into the new youth policy, the Mission will contribute to a consultative and participatory process that will take into consideration multiple perspectives, including those of:
- youth from all communities and geographical areas in Kosovo, and youth with different academic and working backgrounds;
- civil society actors involved in the youth sector;
- government and local level authorities directly involved in the development and implementation of youth related policies (including the 2019-2023 Strategy for Youth);
- international and local experts in the field of youth empowerment and youth policy development.
In order to harmonize the new governmental youth policy with international standards and identified good practices, the Mission will facilitate a comparative analysis of the Kosovo youth sector, taking into consideration relevant regional, European and international experiences and models.
In line with this, the Mission seeks to engage an international expert with experience on youth policy development at European and/or international levels (hereinafter referred to as the expert) for contributing to the drafting of the New Youth Policy Concept Document (hereinafter referred to as Concept Document), ahead of the projected legislative revision.
The expert should ensure an in-depth knowledge of the Kosovo legal framework applicable to the youth sector (including the 2019-2023 Kosovo Strategy on Youth) and applicable international norms (including the UNRES 2250).
The expert will analyze the comprehensive research (desk research, baseline assessment, consultative meetings) produced by the local expert in order to gain an in-depth knowledge of: (i) the current youth policies in Kosovo; (ii) key governmental and non-governmental factors that have direct influence on youth empowerment and participation in Kosovo, (iii) existing best practices and areas of improvement.
Based on this, the international expert will conduct a desk research on regional, European and international best practices related to the youth sector, youth empowerment and youth public participation.
The international expert will then proceed to develop a comparative analysis of Kosovo youth sector with relevant regional, European and international cases. The expert will present the findings of the comparative analysis to the Activity manager and subsequently to the MYCS-led Working Group (WG), responsible for the drafting of the Concept Document as well as to the Kosovo Youth Commission.
Based on the findings of the comparative analysis, the international expert will be responsible to develop a set of recommendations and present them to the WG for their inclusion in the draft Concept Document. The international expert will support the WG to incorporate them into the draft Concept Document.
The international expert will also contribute to a final conference, ahead of the official launching of the revision of the Law on Youth. This event is expected to contribute to create a conducive political momentum around the legislative update of the Kosovo youth policy.
The final Concept Document, which will be the base for the projected legislative revision of the Law on Youth Empowerment and Participation, is expected to reshape the institutional setting of youth organizations, such as the Kosovo Youth Council (KYC) and Local Youth Action Councils (LYACs). Additionally, the final Concept Document is expected to address pre-identified challenges related to:
Format, purpose and role of youth structures at all levels;
- Youth work and volunteerism;
- Official youth policies at all levels;
- Change of secondary legislation.
Objective of Assignment:
The Mission seeks to engage one international expert with experience on youth policy development, to assist the MYCS-led WG to draft the New Youth Policy Concept Document. The consultant is expected to provide the WG with specific technical support on regional, European and international best practices/standards related to youth sector, youth empowerment and youth participation. By developing a set of recommendations, the consultant is expected to support the WG in upgrading the Kosovo youth policy in line with identified relevant regional, European and international examples.
Duration of Assignment:
The consultant will be engaged for 21 working days.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The scope of the work that will be performed by the international expert will include the following tasks:
- Analyze the comprehensive research (desk research, baseline assessment, consultative meetings) produced by the local expert;
- Conduct a desk research on regional, European and international best practices/standards related to the youth sector, youth empowerment and youth public participation;
- Participate in the coordination meetings of the MYCS-led Working Group (WG), and keep track of the overall drafting process of the Concept Document (methodology, identified needs, decisions and relevant developments);
- Discuss the update of the Kosovo youth policy with the Kosovo Youth Commission;
- Develop a comparative analysis of Kosovo youth sector with regional, European and international cases. The expert will present the findings of the comparative analysis to the Activity manager and subsequently to the WG and the Kosovo Youth Commission;
- Based on the findings of the comparative analysis, the international expert will formulate a set of recommendations and present them to the Mission, as well as to the WG for their inclusion in the draft Concept Document;
- Contribute to the final conference, ahead of the official launching of the revision of the Law on Youth. During the event, the international expert is expected to present the key findings of the comparative analysis and the related recommendations incorporated in the Concept Document;
- Maintain regular communication with the Activity Manager, WG and MYCS.
The consultant will report to the Activity Manager, while working closely with members of the MYCS-led WG for the drafting of the Concept Document
A final set of recommendations shall be delivered to the members of the WG and to Activity Manager, by 12 September 2022, in accordance with deliverables and time frame described in the table below. The consultant will also contribute to a final conference, tentatively planned for October 2022.
Expected deliverables and number of working days per month:
- Effective and regular communication with Activity Manager and WG members;
- Participation to the WG and Kosovo Youth Commission coordination meetings;
- Regular, high-quality contributions to the drafting process of the Concept Document;
- High quality deliverables are produced in line with the above timeline;
- All tasks are completed in a timely and professional manner, in close co-operation and consultation with the Activity Manager;
- Final assessment document prepared by the mid-September 2022.
- Advanced university degree in Law, Social science, Education or other relevant fields;
- At least six (6) years of professional experience at European and/or international levels in policy development, with focus on youth empowerment, civic participation, social inclusion and economic empowerment;
- Record of participation in at least two assignments of similar size and degree of complexity (consultancy services in the area of youth policies);
- Knowledge of analysis methods and tools for integrating youth related best practices/international standard to policy development/ legislative reform is considered a strong asset;
- Fluent in English language, knowledge of Albanian and Serbian language is an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality reports, with clearly defined recommendations;
Remuneration will depend on the qualifications and experience of individual experts as well as the detailed work plan to be agreed upon and will be based on the current OSCE consultancy rates.
In order to apply for this position, you must complete the OSCE's online application form, found under https://vacancies.osce.org/. Applicants are encouraged to use the online recruitment and only fully completed OSCEapplications will be accepted. However, if you have technical difficulties with the system you may use the offline application form found under https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model and forward the completed form quoting the vacancy number by e-mail to: email@example.com. In line with your qualifications please indicate a preference to one or more field of expertise listed above (while using the online application the field of expertise preference can be indicated in the cover letter part). Kindly note that applications received after the deadline submitted in different formats than the OSCE Application Form or in other languages than the English language would not be considered. The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic, and social backgrounds to apply