- Requisition ID: GOV000002
- Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA) / Consultant
- Grade: No grade
- Location: OSCE Mission in Kosovo, Prishtine / Pristina
- Posting Date: Jun 25, 2021
- External Closing Date: Jul 1, 2021
- Target Start Date: Jul 15, 2021
- Job Type: Consultant
- Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (First-level university degree or equivalent)
Central Election Commission (CEC) is a permanent independent body and responsible for organization and implementation of elections in Kosovo. The role of the CEC is to regulate the electoral process through the adoption of the Election Rules and, monitoring of election process in all aspects to ensure that elections reach the international standards. The Commission is assisted in the discharge of its responsibilities and functions by a Secretariat which shall implement the decisions of the CEC, prepare reports, recommendations for CEC decisions and shall provide administrative and other necessary support to the CEC. The Secretariat shall also assist the CEC in the implementation of functions and responsibilities assigned to it in accordance with Law, and subsidiary instruments there under.
The Mission will continue to assist electoral management bodies in aligning current electoral practice with international standards and increase public confidence in the electoral process. The Mission will continue to provide technical advice and assistance to the Central Election Commission in developing institutional mechanisms in the preparation of elections. Following a CEC request for support, the Mission will engage an international expert in conducting a needs assessment of the voters list and on drafting a strategy on improving the voters list.
The accuracy and credibility of voters list is a long-standing problem. The EU EOM’s election observation reports repeatedly point out that the voters list includes many deceased persons and there is no effective system in place for their systematic removal. Despite the substantial effort to improve the quality and accuracy of voters list as an extract of the Central Civil Registry, assigning voters to proper polling centres remains a challenge. The Mission will offer technical advice to the CEC in developing institutional mechanisms in the preparation of an accurate and up-to-date voters list by, inter alia, strengthening the mechanism for systematic removal of deceased persons from the civil register and subsequently from the voter list and the allocation of the voters into the polling centres.
Objective of Assignment:
The OSCE Mission in Kosovo Governance Section / Election Team seeks to engage one international expert to strengthen the electoral processes in line with international standards. The international expert, and a local consultant, will work together to support the Central Election Commission with a needs assessment and strategy on improving the voters list for the CEC’s consideration.
The needs assessment and draft strategy is expected to answer at least the following questions:
Does the existing legal framework ensure:
- that the voters list is maintained in a manner that is transparent and accurate?
- to protects the right of qualified voters to be included in the voters list?
- to prevent the unlawful or fraudulent inclusion or removal of voters?
- that voters are protected from the wrongful disclosure of personal data?
What are the obstacles that prevent voters list in Kosovo from meeting the international standards for quality and accuracy? In particular,
- What are the current processes in place for updating of new eligible voters and removal of deceased ones? Are these processes systematic, periodical or continuous? What are the main obstacles to keep the voters list up-to-date?
- Are all eligible voters included, with special focus on voters from rural areas, non-majority communities, women, persons with disabilities, illiterate persons, and other people in situation of vulnerability?
What are the necessary changes that need to be implemented in order to count with a voters list that is accurate, easy to use and has quality data? In particular:
- Are there any legislative changes that would need to be implemented in order to improve the voters list?
- What are the technological solutions available to improve the accuracy and systematic update of the voters list?
- What are the legislative, institutional and technological requirements to ensure both data protection /privacy and the transparency?
Duration of Assignment:
The consultant will be engaged for a total of 30 days.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Activity Manager, the international expert will:
- Review the relevant election observer reports and other relevant documents
- Research on recognized international standards and best practices for voter registration
- Select the interviewees and conduct online interviews with key stakeholders
- Draft a strategy on improving the voters list along with recommendations
- Together with the local consultant, presents the strategy report to the CEC for their consideration
- After receiving information from the Governance Section / Elections Team activity manager on the tasks outlined above and in coordination with the CEC, the consultant will deliver the following:
- Monthly reports covering the major tasks performed in the respective month, by the end of each month;
- Presents findings of the needs assessment to the activity manager;
- Presents the strategy on improving the voters list to the activity manager;
- Presents the strategy on improving the voters list to the CEC.
- Final draft strategy received by the Mission and delivered in time and in an appropriate format and quality, as requested by the CEC and the activity manager;
- Consultancy implemented as planned;
- Submit monthly reports outlining duties performed in each respective month;
- Submit final report to the project/activity manager at the latest 15 days after the completion of the assigned tasks;
- Timely submission of all the deliverables and other products that are foreseen with this TORs;
- Positive feedback from beneficiaries.
- University degree in, Social Sciences, Political Science, or a related discipline
- Minimum ten years of progressively responsible professional experience working at a senior level in the field of electoral management or assistance
- Demonstrated expert knowledge and practical experience of election strategic and operational planning, incorporating enrolment mainstreaming and best practices into project design and implementation of activities
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with senior level stakeholders including Election Management Bodies
- Flexibility to adjust to new instructions from the Activity Manager, if any
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, knowledge local official languages is an asset
- Good knowledge of political environment in Kosovo and in the region
Remuneration will depend on the qualifications and experience of individual experts as well as the detailed work plan to be agreed upon and will be based on the current OSCE consultancy rates.
In order to apply for this position you must complete the OSCE's online application form, found under https://jobs.osce.org/. Applicants are encouraged to use the online recruitment and only fully completed OSCE applications will be accepted. However, if you have technical difficulties with the system you may use the offline application form found under https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/offline-application-form and forward the completed form quoting the vacancy number by e-mail to: email@example.com. In line with your qualifications please indicate preference to one or more field of expertise listed above (while using the online application the field of expertise preference can be indicated in the cover letter part). Kindly note that applications received after the deadline, submitted in different formats than the OSCE Application Form or inother languages than the English language would not be considered. The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion
within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply.