Location : Prishtinë/Priština, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 20-Nov-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Gender Equality
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SB-4
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 14-Dec-2020
Duration of Initial Contract : One (1) year with a possibility of extension
Expected Duration of Assignment : One (1) year with a possibility of extension
UNDP Kosovo positions itself as a development partner that brings global knowledge through a multi-sectoral approach – the key comparative advantage of UNDP, and contributes to its 3 outcomes for Kosovo: i) By 2025, all men and women in Kosovo enjoy from more accountable, effective, transparent, and gender responsive institutions at all level ensuring access to justice, equality and participation for all ii) By 2025, women and men in Kosovo, particularly youth and vulnerable groups, have increased access to decent work and benefit from sustainable and inclusive economic development that is more resilient to impacts of climate change, disasters and emergencies; iii) : By 2025, all communities in Kosovo, equitably benefit from inclusive engagement and greater social cohesion.
Gender Equality is one of the core objectives of UNDP and is implemented throughout the organization in a two-pronged approach: mainstreaming gender in all core practices; and dedicated interventions that empower women and promote gender equality. UNDPs work on gender is guided by the Beijing Platform for Action (BPFA), Convention of the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) and the frameworks provided by the Millennium Declaration, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and Kosovo specific gender policies.
UNDP Kosovo has adopted the Gender Equality Seal process which enables the office to comprehensively strengthen it’s gender profile in processes, operations, programming and policy/advocacy. In the upcoming programming period covering 2021-2025, UNDP in Kosovo will establish a stronger support system on gender equality to provide high level support to Kosovo stakeholders as well as UNDP’s senior management and teams, by engaging a Gender Officer with the aim of both deepening the gender responsiveness of the full UNDP portfolio across engagement pillars while also significantly widenings UNDP’s technical value proposition to new and emerging counterparts, private sector, financing institutions and expert organizations.
The Gender Officer will work under the overall supervision of the Resident Representative and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative. In addition, Gender Officer will work closely with the Programme Team, Operations team, and project teams.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesSummary of Key Functions:
- Contribute to design and implementation of UNDP programme and provide policy advice to CO management
- Effective mainstreaming of gender across projects and programme portfolios and regular monitoring
- Build strategic partnerships and lead resource mobilization to expand UNDP’s gender value proposition
- Build substantive knowledge and share knowledge on gender mainstreaming and gender equality
1. Contribute to programming and implementation of UNDP programme from the gender equality perspective and advisory service to UNDP Kosovo office (CO) management:
- Ensures effective management of the CO programme from a gender perspective, focused on quality assurance of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation.
- Leads and coordinates the development, updates and implementation of UNDP gender equality strategy and action plan.
- Analyses and interprets gender issues and data thorough research and preparation of top-quality analysis and reports.
- Provides top-quality analysis and substantive inputs to UNSDCF, CPD and other strategic documents.
- Advises on possible areas for UNDP support and adjustment of the on-going programme to ensure that it complements national policies and priorities on gender mainstreaming and gender equality.
- Ensures regular Gender Focal Team function.
- Coordinates the Gender Seal process for UNDP Kosovo.
- Contributes to sub-regional, regional and inter-agency initiatives related to gender issues.
- Represents UNDP in internal and external working groups addressing gender issues.
2. Effective mainstreaming of gender across projects and programme portfolios and regular monitoring achieving the following results:
- Effectively applies Results Based Management tools to support the development of gender indicators, baselines and targets, as well as collects gender disaggregated results.
- Supports the design and formulation of CO projects from the gender mainstreaming perspective.
- Effectively monitors and measure the gender impact of the CO programme.
- Continuous monitoring and analysis of gender inputs and results, assess needs for timely readjustment of relevant activities.
- Regular field monitoring visits and development of field monitoring reports with gender disaggregated data.
- Review donor reports and ensure gender mainstreaming is clearly indicated and strengthened with data.
- Review and strengthen project evaluation reports.
- Contributes to the development of Results Oriented Annual Report and corporate planning.
3. Build strategic partnerships and lead resource mobilization to expand UNDP’s gender value proposition:
- Strengthens partnerships with other UN Agencies and task teams, including the Joint UN Result Group Teams and other UN task teams.
- Proactively explore opportunities for new gender focused projects also considering complementarity with gender components of ongoing programme.
- Strengthens partnerships with Kosovo institutions, development partners, private sector and civil society, based on strategic priorities of UNDP.
- Analyzes and research of donor gender strategies and government policy resulting in substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation to enhance UNDP’s integrator role within UN, development partners, academia, CSOs and private sector.
- Produces periodic updates and briefs on country development situation to be used by the CO, Regional Bureau and other stakeholders.
- Undertakes selected studies/research on emerging development concerns that will feed into the dialogue with government, development partners and UN Kosovo Team (UNKT).
4. Substantive knowledge building and knowledge sharing on gender mainstreaming and gender equality
- Facilitates knowledge building and mainstreaming of gender within UNDP programme and actively participates in corporate UNDP knowledge creation.
- Provides policy options and high-quality advisory inputs to UNDP programme and projects to ensure these are responsive to national policies, priorities and strategic plans, and advance UNDP's corporate goals.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned.
- Assesses Kosovo's gender policies and their impact on poverty reduction, growth, equity, equality etc.
- Training and capacity development support for UNDP staff and Kosovo officials, public institutions on gender issues.
- Updates Kosovo’s gender profile data and documentation center of UNDP (intra).
- Identifies and promotes good practices and lessons learned related to gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Coordinate interventions to engage UNDP and UNDP partners in adopting more gender responsive M&E mechanisms in line with the Kosovo’s law on Gender Equality reaching various sectors.
- Facilitate and support the organization of national regional/sub-regional workshops to present and discuss gender sensitive monitoring and evaluation in coordination with gender team of Kosovo and UNDP offices in the sub-region.
- Provides gender training for newcomers and refresher trainings for staff.
Impact of Results
- UNDP Kosovo performance in delivering gender responsive services contributes to the enhanced gender equality in Kosovo, as well in all UNDP operations and programs. UNDP facilitates the inclusion of women in decision- making and is well placed to ensure that national plans are transformed into concrete gender responsive actions with corresponding resources, ensuring the accountability of these actions.
- Monitoring & Evaluation: Knowledge of methodologies, tools, systems and apply practical experience in planning, monitoring, evaluating and reporting and ability to apply to practical situations
- Quality Assurance: Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled
- Knowledge Management/Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Data Measurement: Ability to set goals and indicators and to interpret and synthesize results into usable information to inform policy, strategy, and/or action
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Research (General)/Knowledge of analytical tools and methods for undertaking substantive research on various policy related issues
- Relationship Management: Ability to engage with other parties and forge productive working relationships
- Gender Issues & Analysis: Knowledge of gender issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, including analysis of projects from a gender perspective
- Gender and Institutional Development: Knowledge of systems for gender mainstreaming and capacity development and interagency collaboration and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Gender Corporate Reporting: Knowledge of corporate reporting, including skills to manage Results OAR reporting and extractions, gender marker development and other tools.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- Master's Degree in Social Sciences or other relevant field, preferably with specialization in gender studies.
- Minimum of 5 years related to gender & development.
- Work experience with international organizations and/or local Civil Society Organizations.
- Sound knowledge and background on development and gender issues, including mainstreaming gender in different sectors.
- Sound knowledge of gender & development issues in Kosovo.
- Proven expertise in monitoring & evaluation of programmes and projects with a focus on gender mainstreaming, preferably with international development organizations.
- Familiarity with research on gender issues, development, and quality assurance follow up.
- Strong links with regional and national networks working on gender equality and women's rights.
- Experience in research and report writing with progress charts.
- Fluency in both oral and written English, Albanian and/or Serbian.
All interested candidates must complete the UNDP PERSONAL HISTORY FORM (P11). Without the completed and signed P11 Form, your application will not be considered. P11 Form can be downloaded at http://www.ks.undp.org/content/kosovo/en/home/operations/jobs/
To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Download and complete the the UNDP PERSONAL HISTORY FORM (P11);
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. You can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume. Instead of uploading your Resume, please submit a fully completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (P-11);
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (P11, academic qualifications/diploma) should be included as one attachment.