Location : Prishtina, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 24-Oct-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 01-Nov-2020
Duration of Initial Contract : 01 November 2020 – 01 November 2021 (195 working days for the duration of the contract)
Expected Duration of Assignment : 01 November 2020 – 01 November 2021 (195 working days for the duration of the contract)
UNKT has supported the Kosovo Parliament to move forward with the integration of the SDGs within its policies, commitment with the SDG resolution, and endorsement by the AoK on establishment of the Council for sustainable development.
To further build on the achieved results, UNKT worked with the Speaker’s cabinet, the Committee on Health, Labour and Social Welfare, and Administration to follow up on the commitments to the global goals as they also pursue their strategic alliances with partners on the EU integration. The formalization of the commitment with the planned SDG Resolution will allow the Council for sustainable development and the other MPs to perform their legislative, monitoring and representation role as they tailor their SDG vision for Kosovo’s context.
The MPs and the Speaker’s team, through the SD Council, will design a strategic plan in collaboration with the central level institutions and civil society to ensure that all levels of institutions are brought together to address key development challenges in Kosovo. This will create a better understanding of the SDG related achievements, and challenges, from monitoring to regular progress. The expert will be assigned to work in the AoK and will work closely with Office of the General Secretary, the Parliamentary Committees and individual MPs to further enhance SDG related agenda.
The UNKT has provided expert support since the establishment of the Sustainable Development Council on advancing the SDGs and prioritizing the development agenda. UNKT has committed to continue this support through a specific assignment based on the guidance provided in the ‘Parliament's Role in Implementing the Sustainable Development Goals: A Parliamentary Handbook’ and the Parliaments and the Sustainable Development Goals: A self-assessment toolkit, by the UN SDG.
Objectives of Assignment
Spearhead the efforts of the UNKT in developing a concrete plan for the Council for Sustainable Development and supporting the Council in mainstreaming the SDGs into the policy and legislative agenda.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesUnder the direct supervision of the DCO Team Leader and the Deputy Programme Coordinator and in daily cooperation with the Cabinet of the Assembly President, the expert will undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Policy and legislative analysis:
- Analysis of key laws, regulations, and decisions, to integrate the recommendations from the SDG Resolution for Kosovo;
- Comparative analysis of the relevant SDGs implementation and incorporation in the legislative agenda Develop four SDG policy papers on themes as agreed with the SD Council in relation to Kosovo’s challenges and gaps;
- Conduct policy and enabling environment research on the implementation of SDGs to include (but not limited to): the status of SDG integration in laws and policies, issues and challenges of monitoring and implementation, including opportunities.
2. Expert support:
- Technical and professional inputs to the Committee on SD on developing an indicator framework and a list of indicators for the monitoring of the goals and targets as applicable to Kosovo;
- Technical and professional inputs to the Committee on SD on monitoring activities related to SDG implementation as per the indicator framework;
- Identify, share and encourage good practices on monitoring the SDGs, including in the area of institutional capacity development;
- Technical and professional inputs to Parliamentary Committees which have a strong focus on social issues relating to SDGs;
- Technical and professional inputs in preparation and development of processes related to SDG integration.
3. Partnership and cooperation:
- Serve as a focal point for the UNKT (based on respective agencies’ mandates) in matters related to the Assembly, coordination with the Cabinet of the Assembly President, and the Secretary General’s office;
- Coordination and liaison function between UNKT and the AoK on SDG related activities, including the legislative agenda;
- Facilitate cooperation between the SD Council and the Strategic Planning Office (OPM) on SDG related matters;
- Engage between the AoK, UNKT and other international partners working with the AoK and civil society organizations on collaboration with the SD Council based on the SDG Resolution recommendations;
- Technical support for the preparations of stakeholders on the AoK’s role on SDGs monitoring;
- Supporting the UNKT Agencies, Funds and programmes in arranging meetings, participation in committee hearings and related activities.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- Support the Council for Sustainable Development with policy notes, briefings on the functioning of the council focused on monitoring the implementation of the SDGs and other relevant fields (35 working days)
- Draft the Council’s Annual Work Plan for 2021 through series of consultative meetings with the administration, the MPs and other relevant stakeholders on implementation of the SDG priorities in alignment with strategic documents (20 working days)
- Draft briefing notes, analysis, reviews (40 working days)
- Maintain regular contacts with respective committees, caucus and provide regular monthly reports on activities undertaken with the Assembly (50 working days)
- Produce at least four policy papers on SDGs - as agreed with the supervisors (45 working days)
- Prepare a final report documenting the support (5 working days)
Remuneration - Lump Sum Amount:
Payments will be made based on monthly updates in the form of a report to be provided to the supervisor/s, and after supervisor/s approval
Required Presentation of Offer
The following documents are required:
- Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability
- Personal CV and P11 form indicating all past experiences from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Offeror and at least three (3) professional references
- Financial Proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, inclusive and on monthly bases. The consultant will receive fix amounts in monthly rates based on completion of deliverables/activities set in the deliverables section, duly approved by the UN Coordination Specialist.
- Copy of Diplomas
Criteria for Selection of the Best Offer:
Offers will be evaluated utilizing a combined Scoring method – where the qualifications and methodology will be weighted a max. of 70% and combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30%.
- Plans, prioritizes, and delivers tasks on time
- Good knowledge of RBM and participatory planning
- Ability to work independently and takes initiative in finding solutions
- Supports effective and efficient teamwork
- Displays responsive, transparent and constructive attitude
- Analytical and strategic thinking / results oriented
- Ability to design and manage coordination processes, including with multiple stakeholders
- Good knowledge of organizational policies and procedures related to the position and ability to apply them consistently in work tasks
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences; Master’s degree desirable
- At least 7 years of professional experience (5 years for MA) in a development setting with national or international organizations, focusing on research, policy development, and analysis;
- Ability to work in a team, develop synergies, and establish effective work relations;
- Knowledge of Kosovo’s development context and SDG guidelines;
- Knowledge about the 2030 Global Agenda;
- Knowledge of UN system values and functioning is an asset.
Language and Computer Requirements:
- Excellent written/spoken English and Albanian, Serbian is desirable
- Proficiency on the use of MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc), social media.
- Click on the "Apply now" button
- Input your information in the appropriate sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; you can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment)
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete