TERMS OF REFERENCE
FOR AN EXTERNAL EXPERT IN MAPPING ASSESSMENT OF CSO’S IN KOSOVO
CiviKos within the framework of the Citizen Engagement Activity (CEA) is looking for an external expert to conduct a: Mapping assessment of CSOs in Kosovo.
Introduction and Overview
CiviKos Platform is an initiative of civil society organizations in Kosovo established to create and promote an enabling environment for cooperation of the formal civil society sector and state institutions of Kosovo. Continuously growing and currently with more than 272 member organizations of civil society, CiviKos Platform is committed to deepen the cooperation between member organizations, as well as public authorities and other relevant stakeholders in the development of civil society in Kosovo. With its mission to enable a civil society environment in Kosovo, CiviKos will utilize the expertise and the already solid formalized structure with public institutions to create a sustainable environment for CSOs focusing their expertise on public procurement.
CiviKos Platform in partnership with the Kosovar Civil Society Foundation (KCSF), and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in Kosovo, will be supporting the implementation of the Citizen Engagement Activity (CEA).
About Citizen Engagement Activity (CEA)
The Citizen Engagement Activity (CEA) in Kosovo aims to support Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) to build constituencies, diversify their resource and partner base, and affect change by connecting different actors around locally driven development solutions, and to enhance government accountability. CEA is a five-year program (2021-2026) supported by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and implemented by the Kosovar Civil Society Foundation (KCSF).
Building on long-standing experience and expertise of KCSF in civil society development, including recent approaches towards a more constituent-based civil society, and complementing it with the mandate and expertise of local partners and proven models of international partners, CEA will contribute towards the achievement of the following objectives:
Objective 1: Strengthened civil society links to constituencies, energized community activism and increased demand for accountability.
Objective 2: Established cross-sectoral partnerships and increased trust between CSOs, citizens, private sector, and public institutions.
Objective 3: Developed capacities of CSOs and an enabling regulatory environment to mobilize alternative domestic and diaspora resources.
Background and Scope of the Mapping Assessment
CiviKos is facilitating the process of cooperation between civil society and the government and is co-chairing the Council for Cooperation between Civil Society and the Government.
The current Strategy for cooperation between civil society and the government covers the period 2019-2023 and consists of four objectives:
Objective 1: Increasing civil society participation in policy-making.
Objective 2: Improvement of the regulatory and institutional framework for financing sustainability of programs and projects of CSOs in public interest.
Objective 3: Developing practices and procedures of contracting of CSOs for the provision of public services.
Objective 4: Increasing volunteering in programs of public interest.
The Government Strategy for Cooperation with Civil Society 2019-2023 can be found in the following link: https://zqm.rks-gov.net/assets/cms/uploads/files/Strategjia%20ne%20tri%20gjuhe.pdf
The Strategy was designed to help improving the cooperation between government and civil society and it creates the preconditions for an improved participation of the civil society in policy making and good governance. The role of CiviKos is to facilitate and coordinate the activities that should be undertaken for implementing the objectives of the Strategy.
To understand the current situation of the CSOs and how they operate and cooperate with each other and also with government institutions, CiviKos within CEA is looking for an external expert to conduct a: Mapping assessment of CSOs in Kosovo.
Aim and Objectives of the Mapping assessment
The aim of the Mapping assessment is to map out the expertise of CSOs in Kosovo based on the four objectives of the Government Strategy for Cooperation with Civil Society 2019-2023.
- Mapping the CSOs in Kosovo based on their field of operation, for both members and non-members of CiviKos.
- Identifying the expertise and potential of CSOs in Kosovo to contribute on the implementation of the Government Strategy for Cooperation with Civil Society 2019- 2023.
- Analyzing the potential support of the CSOs based on their mission, as well as their current expertise in the fields of the four objectives of the Government Strategy.
The Mapping assessment should be conducted in line with the above laid specific objectives. The selected contractor is expected to draft a detailed methodology prior to embarking on the assignment, approved by CiviKos. The designed approach and methodology should include: mixed method data collection tools (both quantitative and qualitative), data validation mechanisms, etc.
- Survey with CSOs - identifying the mission, and the expertise of CSOs in Kosovo.
- Interviews with CSOs – to collect specific data.
Timeframe and deliverables
The Mapping assessment report should be written in English. The report should be concise in its structure, findings and recommendations. The final report will be presented and approved by CiviKos.
Expected outputs/deliverables will include the following:
- Detailed mapping assessment framework/design and implementation plan agreed with CiviKos.
- Data collection tools.
- Draft mapping assessment report.
- Final mapping assessment report.
Proposal and budget
The consultant/company shall have:
- Extensive experience (at least 5 years) in completing similar assignments.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of political and socio-economic situation in the country, as well as the activities undertaken by CSO sector.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with civil society sector.
- Demonstrated high level of professionalism and an ability to work independently and in high pressure situations under tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills including experience of facilitation and presentation.
- Full working knowledge of English, and of Albanian and excellent report writing. Serbian language is an advantage.
The proposal shall provide a description of the consultant/company including an outline of the consultant’s/company’s recent experience on similar undertakings.
The budget proposal in Euro.
The required documents should be delivered at the email: firstname.lastname@example.org , no later than 6 May, 2022.