Local Expert for development of the climate change Cross Sectorial Interventions Plans
Location : Prishtina with expected travel to Prizren and Suhareka, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 08-Mar-22 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 20-Mar-2022
Duration of Initial Contract : 20 March 2022 – 30 June 2022
Expected Duration of Assignment : 20 March 2022 – 30 June 2022
The project will scale up the Urban NAMAs GHG reduction efforts, for reducing the overall Green House Gases (GHG) emissions through cross-sectoral interventions, including adaptation measures by improving the micro-climates through greenery in urban spaces, climate change efforts in rural areas, and shifting towards more sustainable transport solutions. Prizren is the only municipality in Kosovo to draft the climate change Cross-Sectorial Intervention Plan (CSIP), which is serving as a city guiding document for climate change actions. It includes 74 measures/interventions for the reduction of GHG emissions in sectors of energy, waste management, transport, and public services. It incorporates priority needs of men, women and marginalised groups based on findings of the climate change gender baseline study, conducted in 2019 for Prizren municipality. The CSIP is aligned with Prizren Municipality Development Plan 2013 -2025 and relevant laws, strategies, plans, as well as key policy papers at central and local levels. The CSIP that was developed during the Urban NAMAs project does not cover rural development regarding climate change. As such, the document will need to be updated to include these aspects and potential green solutions that can be introduced to decrease the negative effect the rural area has on climate change.
Consequently, support will be extended to the development of the Suharekë/Suva Reka climate change CSIP together with stakeholders/partners from different sectors. The development of the CSIP will be a participatory process which involves not only institutions but also relevant players from the private sector and civil society.
The drafting of the CSIPs will be informed by the available gender-disaggregated data and considerations for disability and social inclusion in order to ensure social justice for decision-making. The inclusion of the marginalised groups will be made through the municipal office for human rights and gender equality in both municipalities. Further, a baseline study for equal inclusion of men, women, and marginalised groups will be conducted in close cooperation with the municipality of Suharekë/Suva Reka and with the consultation of the civil society. The baseline will take into consideration focus groups with equal gender representation and qualitative research that includes input from all populations (gender, ethnicity, disabilities, and/or other disadvantages) and will provide data for inclusion in the CSIPs.
Objectives of Assignment
The objective of this assignment is to support the Prizren municipality in upgrading climate change Cross Sectorial Intervention Plan with the rural development sector and the Suhareka/Suva Reka municipality in developing climate change Cross Sectorial Intervention Plan with potential green solutions to reduce GHG emissions.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesThe Local Expert shall be responsible for:
1. Providing a work plan at the start of the consultancy, which clearly indicates the methodology and anticipated target outputs.
2. In close cooperation with Municipal Green Growth Center in Prizren upgrading the existing Cross-Sectorial Intervention Plan with the rural development sector.
- Reviewing and analyzing municipal rural development plan and priorities.
- Identifying and analyzing the current rural development vulnerabilities of climate change risks and trends.
- Conducting consultations, meetings, and workshops with MGGC, CSOs, rural communities, private businesses representatives, to identify communities that might be at risk from the impact of climate change and explore adaptation and mitigation opportunities in line with municipal rural development priorities as well as focusing on areas that are highly vulnerable to climate variability.
- Ensuring that potential gender-related risks and inter-sectional gender-responsive approach and GHG reduction target are applied in the CSIP.
- Conducting workshops with MGGC/Municipality to prioritize the key areas for the pilot green solution interventions.
- Upgrading the climate change Municipal Cross-Sectoral Intervention Plans.
3. Developing in close cooperation with Municipal Green Growth Center in Suharekë/Suva Reka climate change Cross-Sectorial Intervention Plan.
- Reviewing and analyzing municipal current development plans and relevant sectoral documents and priorities.
- Identifying and analyzing the current sectoral and cross-sectoral vulnerabilities of climate change risks and trends.
- Conducting consultations, meetings, and workshops with MGGC/Municipality to identify communities and sectors that might be at risk from the impact of climate change and exploring adaptation and mitigation opportunities.
- Conducting consultations, meetings, and workshops with MGGC, CSOs, communities, private businesses representatives, and other relevant partners to develop adaptation options using integrated climate-sensitive responses with municipal development priorities as well as focusing on areas that are highly vulnerable to climate variability.
- Ensuring that potential gender-related risks and inter-sectional gender-responsive approach and reduction target are applied in the CSIP.
- Conducting workshops with MGGC/Municipality to prioritize the key areas/sectors for the pilot urban NAMA interventions.
- Drafting of the Municipal Cross-Sectoral Intervention Plans.
4. Validation workshop with stakeholders for developed Cross Sectorial Plans.
- Organizing and conducting the validation workshop with stakeholders for developed Cross Sectorial Plans.
- Addressing any comments/feedback for Cross Sectorial Plans for both Municipalities.
Note: The CSIPs must include a bibliography of all information sources (Documents, library, database).
Any other activities as may be required in line with the objectives of the assignment.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- 1. A work plan at the start of the consultancy, which clearly indicates the methodology and anticipated to achieve target outputs (estimated date for completion 18 March 2022)
- 2. Conducting consultations, meetings, and workshops with MGGC, CSOs, rural communities, private businesses representatives, for upgrading CSIP of Prizren municipality with the rural development sector (estimated date for completion 30 April 2022)
- 3. Conducting consultations, meetings, and workshops with MGGC, CSOs, rural communities, private businesses representatives, for drafting CSIP of Suharekë/Suva Reka Municipality (estimated date for completion 15 May 2022)
- 4. Upgraded Prizren SCIP with rural sector part (estimated date for completion 01 June 2022)
- 5. Suharekë/Suva Reka SCIP (estimated date for completion 15 June 2022)
- 6. A presentation of findings and a validation workshop on a date to be agreed by both parties (estimated date for completion 25 June 2022)
- 7. Final CSIPs ( with addressed comments if any) - (estimated date for completion 30 June 2022)
Remuneration - Lump Sum Amount
The Contract is based on lump sum remuneration and shall be processed subject to deliverables as per the schedule listed below:
- 30% of total contract amount upon completion of deliverables 1, 2, 3
- 30% of total contract amount upon completion of deliverables 4, 5
- 40% of total contract amount upon completion of deliverables 6, 7
Required Presentation of Offer:
The following documents are requested:
- Personal CV and P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Offeror and at least three (3) professional references.
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment.
- Technical proposal, a max. 2-page document briefly outlining the methodology envisaged for the assignment for delivering the expected results within the indicated timeframe.
- Financial Proposal that indicates lump sum payment based on completion of deliverables.
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport.
Criteria for selection of the Best Offer
Offers will be evaluated utilizing a combined Scoring method – where the qualifications and technical proposal will be weighted a max. of 70% and combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30.
Technical score: 70% weight allocated as follows:
A/ The evaluation of the technical offer will be as follows:Criteria Points Max Points Masters’ degree in Environmental Science, Agriculture, Energy, Policy Development, Economics, or any other relevant qualification in related fields. 10pts - At least 2 years’ experience supporting municipalities in drafting the policy papers/plans or similar relevant experience. 15pts - Experience with Central and Local Institutions. 15 pts
- Experience in supporting environmental and climate change activities/projects and or initiatives.
- Quality of writing and of the presentation: 20 points
- Understanding of the assignment: 25 points 45 pts Total 100 pts
Financial score: financial offer (30% weight)
B/ Evaluation of the financial offers: Only the financial proposals of the applications selected following the technical evaluation with a minimum of 70/100 points will be considered for the financial evaluation.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Ability to synthesize research and draw conclusions on the related subjects;
- Good analytical and report writing skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Responds positively to critical feedback.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- Post Graduate degree in Environmental Science, Agriculture, Energy, Policy Development, Economics, or any other relevant qualification in related fields.
- At least 2 years’ experience supporting municipalities in drafting the policy papers/plans or similar relevant experience.
- Has experience in supporting environmental and climate change activities/projects and or initiatives.
- Has working experience with central and local institutions.
- Preferable to have knowledge of the following:
- Local governance and sectoral issues
- Climate Change Emissions
- Gender issues
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English.
- Click on the "Apply now" button.
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; You can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box.
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume.
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete