Helvetas is a development organisation anchored in Switzerland and operating throughout Eastern and South-Eastern Europe. Our vision is a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
For a regional programme on Inclusive Economic Development, implemented on behalf of the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) across 12 countries in Eastern and South Eastern Europe we are looking for a Environment and Climate Change (ECC) Expert with focus on ‘green economic development’ to join the team as soon as possible. The employment is tied to the duration of the agreement with Sida (an Inception Phase of 22 months till April 2022 and a subsequent 5-year main phase).
ENVIRONMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE (ECC) MANAGER (100%)
YOUR MAIN TASKS
You will be responsible for coordinating the programme’s activities on ‘green economic development’ across a wide region of 12 countries in Eastern and South Eastern Europe, and be part of a dynamic and networked team with flat hierarchical structures with members based in different countries, and the overall programme management based in Bern. We aim at exploring and leveraging new and innovative economic opportunities in sectors such as green tech, energy, recycling, finance etc. that will lead to the creation of income and jobs, particularly for youth, women and excluded groups.
Your tasks will vary significantly and require continuous adaptation as well as travelling throughout the region. Your tasks mainly revolve around three areas:
- Coordination: Develop and coordinate the programme’s activities on ECC, including a) mainstreaming of ECC concerns into ongoing activities and partnerships, b) developing dedicated ECC strategies and lead on their implementation, c) develop and assure compliance of the overall programme with its ECC
- Knowledge Management and learning: Integrate ECC topics into the programme’s overall knowledge management and learning processes, stimulating active discourse between the programme and its partners and stakeholders on green economic development, build awareness and shared visions and facilitate coordinated action, advocacy and new partnerships.
- Administration and compliance: Integrate ECC into organisational systems and processes (e.g. partner selection and procurement) and contribute to administrative and financial processes, most importantly good risk management, as per requirements and needs.
We are looking for a professional from one of the following three regions (or with substantial knowledge – socio-economic/political context, language, culture – and networks therein): Western Balkans (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia), Eastern Europe (Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine), South Caucasus (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia).
If you are open-minded, curious and eager to try out new things and able to motivate others to take responsibilities in achieving a shared vision; if you understand your role as enabler and facilitator for learning and innovation and are concerned about applying good practices in development, management and administration; if you are an independent and responsible worker happy to explore new opportunities and develop your own area of work; if you are critical about current development practice, eager to learn from failure and apply best practice for greater and more sustainable impact; if you show a high degree of self-reflection and willingness to engage in critical discourse… then you are the kind of person we are looking for.
We strongly encourage the application of women and people of non-binary gender identity. Formal selection criteria include:
- An academic degree (Master or equivalent) in environmental studies, economics, development studies or similar social science
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in development, particularly in applying environmental concerns to economic development (‘green economy/jobs’)
- Ideally an understanding of the Market Systems Development (MSD) / Making Markets work for the Poor (M4P) approach with experience in its application, including tools such as the DCED Standard for Results Measurement
- Competencies in coaching/consulting, training/capacity building, management and team leadership, analytical and strategic thinking, communication
- Experience in results-oriented Project Cycle Management
- Excellent communication in English (spoken and written) with a proven record in publications and reporting, delivery of trainings
- Knowledge of a language spoken in the countries mentioned above is of advantage.
We offer you an interesting challenge in a motivated team with attractive working conditions including a salary that is competitive on the regional market for senior experts. Depending on your home country you will have a working space in one of our offices our offices but have the flexibility to work independently from home office and other offices in the region. The programme spans across a region of 12 countries and will include different forms of online team collaboration but also frequent travels.
We look forward to receiving your complete application including motivation letter and CV by 24 August 2020. Please send your applications to email@example.com, for more information visit our website www.helvetas.org/en/eastern-europe or send your enquiries to the mentioned email address.