Location : Prishtina, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 04-Jun-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 10-Jun-2020
Duration of Initial Contract : 10 June 2020 – 30 June 2020 (11 working days within this period)
Expected Duration of Assignment : 10 June 2020 – 30 June 2020 (11 working days within this period)
BackgroundMediation is an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) mechanism for parties to resolve their disputes outside of the courts, which are overburdened and under-resourced, making it often difficult for parties to receive timely adjudication of disputes. Mediation as an alternative to the courts is more cost effective and efficient for the parties and helps to reduce the court case backlog.
The reformed Law on Mediation which entered into force in August 2018, provides an opportunity to improve people’s access to justice and reduce the court backlog considerably. Only in 2019, more than 5,000 cases have been referred from courts and prosecution offices for mediation procedure. This suggests that the courts had 5,000 less cases to deal with in 2019. The Law on Mediation sets forth significant amendments in multiple aspects, however citizens have limited information and awareness on these changes, and the benefits they bring in the system. As such, the legal changes imply the need to increase people’s awareness on how to make best use of mediation for their benefit.
The project through UNDP’s Public Pulse, which collects data on citizens’ perceptions with Kosovo institutions, has measured citizens’ awareness and satisfaction with the mediation procedure. Following the Public Pulse survey data on mediation (just completed), there is a need to conduct focus group discussions with key stakeholders to identify remaining gaps and issues in the implementation of the Law.
The Public Pulse quantitative data results on mediation collected through June 2020 Public Pulse survey will provide (for the first time) an official baseline for citizens awareness and satisfaction on mediation system. As such, the data results will guide the discussions with the focus groups hence enabling a strategic analytical review of Kosovo’s mediation system from both the right holders (citizens), and the duty bearers (legal actors and mediators) perspectives. The baseline of this year’s citizens awareness and satisfaction will also be useful to follow the trends in future public perception surveys.
Objectives of Assignment
Develop an analytical report on the functionality of the mediation system based on Public Pulse data results and focus group discussions.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesUnder the supervision of the Project Manager, the consultant shall:
- Analyse the quantitative data on mediation generated from the UNDP’s June 2020 Public Pulse survey;
- Prepare a clear methodology on how to conduct qualitative analysis on mediation;
- Draft an analytical report on the functionality of the mediation system providing specific conclusions and recommendations.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- Analysis of the quantitative data results generated from the UNDP’s Public Pulse survey (1 working day).
- The methodology outlining the qualitative analysis on mediation (1 working day)
- Focus group discussions (3 working days).
- Analysis of the qualitative interviews from the focus groups (2 working days).
- Analytical report on the functionality of the mediation system containing specific conclusions and recommendations for improvement (4 working days).
Remuneration - Lump Sum Amount:
The Contract is based on lump sum remuneration and shall be processed subject to deliverables as per the schedule listed below:
- First instalment: upon satisfactory completion of the focus groups and findings report (1st, 2nd,3d, and 4th deliverable) – 50%
- Second instalment: upon satisfactory completion of the Analytical Report on the functionality of the mediation system. (final deliverable) – 50%
Required Presentation of Offer:
The following documents are required to be submitted:
- Updated P11/CV, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three professional references.
- Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment
- Sample methodology on how to conduct the focus groups.
- Financial Proposal that indicates the all-inclusive lump sum amount.
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport
Criteria for selection of the Best Offer
Offers will be evaluated utilizing a combined Scoring method – where the technical qualifications, the relevant work experience and the technical proposal will be weighted a max. of 70% and combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30%.
- Demonstrates/safeguards ethics and integrity;
- Acts as a team player and facilitating teamwork;
- Facilitates and encourages open communication and creates synergies;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Demonstrates experience in gender equality.
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to build trust;
- Responds positively to new approaches;
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding the position;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet needs and deadlines;
- Good analytical skills; able to exercise sound judgement.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- MA Degree in Law or other related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience related to rule of law, human rights, and access to justice;
- Experience with data analysis;
- Experience in conducting interview/focus groups;
- Excellent knowledge on Kosovo’s legal framework and justice system;
- Proven track record on analytical and evaluation reports.
- Excellent verbal and written in Albanian and English are required. Proficient knowledge of Serbian is an asset.
- Experience working with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; you can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume;
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.