Cultural Heritage Specialist
Deadline for applications: 28 January 2022
Duty station: Prishtina/Pristina
Issued on 14 December 2021
Functional title: Cultural Heritage Specialist
Duty station: Prishtina/Pristina with travel to the selected Municipalities (Prizren and Mitrovica)
Contract type: Consultancy Assignment (IC)
Duration of assignment: 6 working months (with possibility for extension)
Closing date for applications: 28 January 2022
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the lead United Nations agency for cities and human settlements. The agency is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all and sustainable development. UN-Habitat has been actively assisting Kosovo institutions in the field of governance, spatial planning, and municipal administration since 1999. Currently UN-Habitat is implementing the Inclusive Development Programme (2016-2021+) which aims to build municipal planning and management capacities, strengthen the social contract and social cohesion, and enhance coordination within a framework of inter-municipal cooperation and multi-level governance with a view to foster inclusive development and good governance in northern Kosovo.
Within the Inclusive Development Programme, UN-Habitat has supported activities addressing cultural heritage issues from the spatial planning perspective in Municipal Development plans and Zoning Maps and have designed and implemented capital projects that have enhanced the cultural heritage values of respective places.
Building on its knowledge, tools and expertise, the UN-Habitat Kosovo Office provides at the demand of partners, strategic and comprehensive package of support. In that perspective, UN-Habitat Kosovo Office and the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports in Kosovo are collaborating on a list of activities relating to cultural heritage aiming to promote sustainable spatial development of Cultural heritage sites through integrated conservation, participatory processes and innovative planning and design methods used to balance interests and needs.
The general purpose of the Cultural Heritage Specialist will be to ensure the qualitative expertise on cultural heritage in the process of conducting specific activities related to Cultural Heritage and Spatial Planning. The expert will be working closely with Senior and Spatial/Urban planners, conservation consultants and other staff involved in the activities.
Skill Sets Required
Advanced skills will be required on: build culture heritage, integrated approaches on treating cultural heritage; integrated conservation, integrated urban conservation, advanced knowledge on international charters and recommendations on build cultural heritage, ability to integrate the requirements from national legislation on cultural heritage with the requirements of law on spatial planning regarding cultural heritage in activities.
Under the general guidance and direct supervision of the UN-Habitat Kosovo Head of the Office and Senior Spatial Urban Planner will be responsible for:
- Providing qualitative cultural heritage expertise during the whole process of conducting activities related to Cultural Heritage and Spatial Planning.
- Provide support for (field) research, data analysis, and conduct desk review.
- Organize and co-lead meetings and thematic focus working groups in the function of the Feasibility Study for Prishtina Historical Center.
- Provide inputs for the formulation and drafting of the Feasibility Study for Prishtina Historical Center.
- Provide imputes and co-facilitate exercises of the participatory design workshop for the Archaeological Site/Public Space within Prizren Historical Center.
- Provide imputes on the final design and implementing project of the Archaeological Site/Public Space within Prizren Historical Center.
- Provide imputes and co-facilitate exercises of the participatory design workshop for the Industrial Heritage Interactive Mobility Map Stan Trg.
- Provide inputs for the formulation and drafting of the project report for Industrial Heritage Interactive Mobility Map of Stan Trg.
- Contribute to knowledge management, communication, and outreach activities of the project.
- Assist with translation and interpretation, both verbal and written, when required. Provide language quality checks of written materials;
- Provide monthly progress reports to the UN-Habitat Kosovo Head of Office and inputs to progress reports for the Prishtina/ Pristina office; and
- Perform any other functions and tasks which may be required by the nature of the projects’ activities
Deliverables and Schedule
Nr. | Tasks | Deliverable | Timeline
- Organise and co-lead at least 5 thematic focus working groups in function of the Feasibility Study for Prishtina Historical Center. | -Finalised thematic focus working groups and respective meeting reports/conclusions. | 1w/months
- Draft the outline and provide inputs in the methodology and results sections of the Feasibility Study for Prishtina Historical Center. | – Provided inputs in methodology and results sections of the Feasibility Study document | 1.25w/months
- Draft the exercise related to cultural heritage and facilitate one group of the participatory design workshops for the Archaeological Site/Public Space within Prizren Historical Center and provide inputs on workshop report | -Finalised exercises related to cultural heritage
-Provided inputs from to the exercises related to cultural heritage in the final workshop reports | 0.25w/months
- Draft the archaeological site conservation section within the final design and implementing the project of the Archaeological Site/Public Space in Prizren Historical Center. | -Final archaeological site conservation section within the design and implementing project document -The obtained construction permit for the project | 1w/months
- Prepare the written content for the workshop brief and facilitate one group of the participatory design workshop for the Industrial Heritage Interactive Mobility Map Stan Trg. | – Finalised workshop brief – Provided inputs from discussions of the facilitated group on the workshop report | 0.25w/months
- Review of the first draft of the project report for Industrial Heritage Interactive Mobility Map of Stan Trg. | -Comments provided on the first draft of the project report for Industrial Heritage Interactive Mobility Map of Stan Trg. | 0.25w/months
The work shall be performed from Prishtina/Pristina with travel to the selected municipalities. Transport to and from work will be the employee’s responsibility. Travel to other municipalities than the duty station will be covered by the project.
Deliverables and timeline
The fees will be paid in installments upon completion and acceptance of the outputs as specified in section Deliverables and Schedule above. A timesheet must be submitted by the individual contractor, duly approved by the Head of Office which shall serve as the basis for the payment of fees. The payment amount will be based on actual days worked for that period.
Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; – Ability to conduct data collection using various methods; – Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, among which electronic sources on the internet, intranet, and other databases; – Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; – Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; – Is willing to learn from others; – Places team agenda before personal agenda; – Supports and acts in accordance with a final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; – Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; – Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; -Uses time efficiently. Communication: Excellent and effective written and oral skills; ability to persuade people with varying points of view and to present information in a concise and accurate manner, ability to clearly communicate links between the organizations.
Qualifications and requirements
Education and experience
- Advanced University Degree (Masters Level) or higher in the field of Architecture (with specialization in Cultural Heritage), Urban Planning (with specialization in Cultural Heritage), Culture Heritage, Urban Conservation, or similar.
- At least 7 years of experience working in the field of Cultural Heritage and Spatial Planning, specifically on drafting spatial planning documents related to cultural heritage, urban developing or managing plans, design projects for cultural heritage sites, and other relevant experience related to building cultural heritage.
- Have advanced knowledge and understanding of concepts related to Spatial Planning, Urban Design, and Cultural Heritage as well as international trends and best practices.
- Advanced knowledge of Kosovo national legislation in the field of Spatial Planning and Culture Heritage as well as international charters and recommendations regarding the build cultural heritage.
- Strong facilitation and analytical skills, as well as writing and presenting in Albanian and English;
- English is the working language of UN-Habitat Kosovo Office; a very good command of English is required – reading, writing, and speaking; and
- Fluency (reading, writing, and speaking) of at least one local language of Kosovo is an advantage.
- Good analytical, solution defining, creative and interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge and understanding of innovative participatory planning and urban design approaches;
- Knowledge of online communication, networking, and collaboration tools;
- Capable of working in a team and undertaking initiatives to ensure smooth relations and open communication within the team and with partners, incl. local level, and other entities, etc.;
- Experience working with the UN system is an advantage; and
- Excellent digital skills are required, incl. Microsoft Office, computer-aided design (CAD) i.e. AutoCAD or ArchiCAD
- Valid driving license and the ability to obtain a UN driver’s license.
The candidate should be:
- Willing to take responsibility, act professionally at all times, and make sure tasks are fully completed;
- Be willing to work across the entire partner stakeholder’s geographical area, including temporary placements at other field offices;
- Sensitive to gender issues and issues of concern to vulnerable groups;
- Flexible and prepared to pursue goals through teamwork;
- Able to meet deadlines for reporting and all project work;
- Express enthusiasm and willingness to continue learning new skills and share experiences with other members of the team;
- Able to adapt to a multi-ethnic environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit an email quoting the post title and the duty station to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
with the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
1. Cover letter explaining why they are the most suitable for the work
2. Completion of a CV in P11 Form which can be downloaded at: http://unhabitat-kosovo.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/p11_form.doc
The CV shall include information on the past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references.
3. Financial Proposal. The offeror’s letter including form for the financial proposal can be downloaded at: http://unhabitat-kosovo.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Financial_proposal_IC.docx
Deadline for applications: 28th January 2022
UN-Habitat does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: email@example.com