TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR) FOR SHORT TERM CONSULTANT
- Job Title: Corporate Governance Consultant
- Department / Division: CESCG
- Grade: C2
- Type of Contract STC
- Date: November, 2020
- Location: Pristina, Kosovo
- Appointment: Local Hire
Project Background and Objectives
The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades of experience to create opportunity where it’s needed most.
IFC, as a significant emerging markets investor, is well placed to use its advisory and investment influence to drive long-term value creation in emerging markets in the interest of companies, the society, and the environment. IFC’s new strategy (IFC 3.0) supports private sector development in riskier emerging markets and is based on strong coordination between IFC’s investment and advisory work to develop and move markets in a more targeted and impactful manner. IFC’s Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) standards are core to the IFC’s strategy.
IFC has launched the Integrated Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance Program in Europe and Central Asia (“the Program”) that seeks to promote sustainable investment into selected priority countries in Eastern Europe and Central Asia, through a programmatic approach targeting ESG in both the financial and real sector:
- to improve financial sector efficiency through building sustainable financial markets that integrate ESG factors into capital allocation; and
- to improve access to investment and markets for real sector companies through enhancing their ESG practices and aligning them with international standards.
Objective of this Assignment
IFC is seeking to contract a Consultant with experience in corporate covernance (CG) and technical expertise in internal control system, risk management/governance, compliance, internal audit and information dsclosure to provide support activities of the Program in Kosovo under supervision and in close coordination with the IFC Project Officer (“IFC”).
SCOPE OF WORK AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Consultant under the supervision and in close coordination with the IFC Project Officer will work as an integral part of the team by providing assistance in various Program operation matters in Kosovo and other ECA countries as needed. Primary responsibilities will include a combination of following two-fold activities:
Direct engagements with firms and financial institutions:
Assist in conducting the CG/ESG assessments and reviews, with relevant lists of recommendations for client companies, financial organizations and/or SOEs, and assist in implementation of recommendations in the area of expertise for internal controls, risk management, compliance control and internal audit, including:
1) Analyze and desk review of client’s internal bylaws and policies;
2) Facilitate and conduct jointly with the IFC team on-site and/or virtual interviews of the client (as situation with COVID-19 permits);
3) Provide written input to the reports developed by IFC with relevant lists of findings and recommendations;
4) Assist the clients in implementation of CG recommendations, provide ad-hoc consultations in coordination with the IFC Project Officer;
5) Assist the clients in assessment of key risks and facilitation of development of the risk map if necessary;
6) Draft the following templates for the clients as well as guiding clients to tailor the required templates including, but not limited to:
- Anti-Bribery and Corruption Policy template
- Internal Control System Framework template
- Risk Governance Framework template
- Internal Audit Charter and Annual Internal Audit Plan template
- Audit Committee Charter template
7) When necessary, assist in developing the training materials for Board of Directors/Advisory Board, management team and/or key personnel of the client to improve the CG, including, but not limited to:
- Anti-Bribery and Corruption Best Practices Training
- Training on the Internal Controls
- Training on Transparency and Information Disclosure
- Risk Governance and ERM Training
- Internal Audit Workshop
8) Assist the team in monitoring the implementation of ESG/CG Improvement Plan by the clients;
9) Assist the Project officer in liaising with the clients and coordinating the organizational issues for implementation of the Program.
The client engagements will be selected by IFC based on the specific set of eligibility criteria, including priority sector, investment potential, IDD checks, level of commitment, etc.
General Program activities:
1) Conduct periodic surveys, analysis of reports submitted and regular meeting with clients to monitor their operational performance;
2) Generate and assess necessary market, sector, industry and client related information;
3) Support the team in performing background check and initial screening on potential clients (IDD reports);
4) Assist in organizing events, business development meetings, conference calls and VCs;
5) Assist in drafting of periodical updates and contribute to semi-annual, annual and other IFC reporting;
6) Assist Project Officer in any other duties that may be required in relation to the Program as described.
7) Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business, Economics or equivalent; Master’s degree is a plus;
8) At least 5-7 years of relevant working experience;
9) Knowledge of corporate governance standards, COSO model (ERM Integrated Framework and Internal Control Integrated Framework); International Internal Audit Standards (IIA); relevant ISO standards.
10) Experience in developing corporate policies and procedures, ERM assessment tools and methodologies;
11) Must have a minimum of five years of experience in providing CG (and/or internal control, risk management, compliance, internal audit) advisory services to private sector companies and SOEs.
12) Strong interpersonal skills;
13) Excellent presentation, written and oral communication skills;
14) Familiarity with analytical tools and ability to translate theoretical concepts into practical approaches for operational work;
15) Ability to work flexibly and under deadline pressure at times on a range of assignments, and adjust to and prioritize a variety of complex evolving tasks;
16) Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, multi-cultural environment;
17) Fluent written and spoken English and Albanian languages;
18) Computer literate: Strong knowledge of MS World, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
Those interested, please send your CV by November 30 to the contacts below: