TERMS OF REFERENCE
“Review of the existing infrastructure and human resources for implementing nutrition menus in preschool institutions in four selected municipalities”
Multiple Cluster Indicator Survey (MICS) 2019-2020 shows that less than half of children (30.2%) in Kosovo aged 6-23 months receive a minimum acceptable diet, primarily because of lack of dietary diversity. A focus group with pediatricians, conducted by Action for Mothers and Children, suggests that Malnutrition and Gastrointestinal diseases pose a serious threat among children in Kosovo, as according to pediatricians, a high number of children were diagnosed with these diseases (Action for Mothers and Children, 2018). This is a particular challenge in the Roma, Ashkali and Egyptian communities and the poorest quintile. According to the 2019-2020 MICS, about 2% of under five-year-olds in Kosovo are moderately or severely stunted. The figure is higher among Roma, Ashkali and Egyptian children under five (12.8%), and is 22.5% among the poorest quintile of the Roma, Ashkali and Egyptian population.
Based on results from systematic check-ups in primary schools in Pristina Municipality in 2016, the main and most concerning medical condition is obesity among children (Main Family Medicine Center, 2016). The same report of the Main Family Medicine Center in Prishtina, shows that obesity is increasing each year, being 17. 9% in 2014 and 22.3% in 2016, which shows a 4.4 percent point increase in only two years. According to these findings, every fifth child is obese, an alarming rate that needs to be addressed as a serious matter.
With the aim of supporting the integration of early child care and preschool education, and creating a conducive environment for promoting healthy eating behaviors in school institutions, AMC supported the multi-sectorial technical working group for the development of guidelines and menus for preschool children, and promotion of lunchboxes for school children. The menus tailored for preschoolers are expected to be fully implemented in congruence with the respective guidelines in four targeted municipalities (Gjakova, Lipjan, Gjilan and Dragash).
Within this context, Action for Mothers and Children is seeking to engage a national consultant to review the existing infrastructure and human resources of preschools for the implementation of nutrition guidelines and menus in the four selected municipalities.
II. PURPOSE of the ASSIGNMENT
The consultant will conduct a review of the infrastructure and human resources in preschools of four municipalities (Gjakova, Lipjan, Gjilan and Dragash). The aim of the review is to document the existing capacities and to provide recommendations for improvement of kitchens, kitchenettes, and/or cafeterias that are in line with the standards for the implementation of the nutrition guideline and menus in the four selected municipalities.
The consultant will conduct a review regarding:
- The set-up or the organization of the provision of food through individual kitchen versus centralized municipal kitchen
- The extent to which existing infrastructure and resources in preschools support the implementation of the nutrition guideline, in line with applicable norms and standards for preschool facilities (surface area for food preparation; type of flooring material; the way food is stored; connection with the dining area)
- Availability of equipment and supplies for all aspects of food service, particularly for receiving, storing, and preparing fresh produce
- Human capacities and financial resources for implementation of nutrition guideline and menus (meal planning, purchasing, preparation, serving, and cleanup).
- How to improve the infrastructure of kitchens/kitchenettes/cafeterias if needed so that they are auspicious for following the nutrition guideline
- The dining area infrastructure in line with applicable norms and standards.
III. SCOPE OF WORK AND TENTATIVE WORK CALENDAR
The consultant is expected to complete the following tasks and submit deliverables in line with the work calendar below:
- Outline a detailed workplan and timeframe;
- Review the nutrition menus and identify needs for the optimal infrastructure and human resources for implementation of the nutrition guideline in the preschools;
- Mapping of existing infrastructure and human resources for implementation of the nutrition guideline and identify gaps in the preschools of four municipalities (Gjakove, Lipjan, Gjilan and Dragash);
- Prepare and finalize the review report which provides an overview of the current infrastructural conditions and the human resources, and provides further recommendations on which steps to follow for the successful implementation of nutrition menus.
# | TASK | DELIVERABLE | ESTIMATED WORKLOAD (Person/Days) | DELIVERY DATE
1 | Outline a detailed workplan and timeframe | Workplan (inc. timeframe) | 1 day | November 2021
2 | Review the nutrition menus and identify needs for the optimal infrastructure and human resources for implementation of the nutrition guideline in the preschools | Draft | 5 days | November 2021
3 | Mapping of existing infrastructure and human resources for implementation of the nutrition guideline and identify gaps in the preschools of four municipalities (Gjakove, Lipjan, Gjilan and Dragash) | Fieldwork assessment | 11 days | December 2021
4 | Prepare and finalize the review report which provides an overview of the current infrastructural conditions and the human resources, and provides further recommendations on which steps to follow for the successful implementation of nutrition menus. | Assessment report | 2 days | January 2022
Action for Mothers and Children
V. PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
Competencies required to carry out the tasks are as per below:
- University degree in health, nutrition or other similar programs, with experience in food policy or nutrition issues
- Previous work in this field, especially in assessment of infrastructure and staff capacity for implementing standardized nutrition menus is preferred
- Good knowledge about nutrition in general and the infrastructural factors and human resources that are essential for executing nutritional guidelines
- Fluency in Albanian and English languages
VI. DURATION, LOCATION, COSTS AND PAYMENT SCHEDULE
The assignment will cover an estimate of 24 days (from November 2021 to January 2022) and payments will be affected upon the delivery of outputs. In case of any unexpected delay in the estimated time frame (approval process, force majeure etc.) the duration of the assignment might be extended subject to the same conditions and mutual will of the parties.
The selected consultant(s) is/are expected to complete all tasks and deliverables in line with the “Scope of Work and Tentative Work Calendar” section of this ToR. The contract will be effective from the date of signature until successful completion of services outlined in this ToR.
In principle, this is a desk-based consultancy. If needed, meetings will be based in Prishtina and/or will be conducted on-line.
Estimated Cost of Assessment: Applicants shall present a detailed financial proposal that elaborates daily costs on the basis of the above-mentioned programme and deliverables, including a total sum demanded. All costs, including travel, accommodation, administrative tools, communications, etc. shall be covered by the consultant and should be included in the financial proposal as a separate heading, and broken down into details of accommodation and travel costs.
Payment schedule: AMC will issue a contract in EURO. The payment will be done in installments upon deliverables as per contractual agreement and will be executed in EURO.
Candidates are required to specify their daily rates and the total amount as per the number of anticipated working days for each deliverable in the financial proposal and provide the breakdown of the lump sum amount for each deliverable as well as incidentals of each deliverable in EURO. It is up to the team how to divide number of working days within the team.
VII. APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications should be submitted in English and should include:
- Financial proposal
- Examples of analytical work conducted in the past
Application and financial proposals should be sent to email@example.com by 4th November 2021. After the technical evaluation, the financial proposals of qualified candidates will be evaluated.