Local Consultant to Provide Media Relations and Public Communication Training for Staff of Kosovo Serb Predominantly Inhabited Municipalities
ISSUED BY OSCE Mission in Kosovo
VACANCY NUMBER VNKOSC02335
VACANCY TYPE Experts/Consultants
NUMBER OF POSTS 1
DUTY STATION Prishtine / Pristina
DATE OF ISSUE 31 March 2021
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION 21 April 2021 - 23:59 Central European Time (CET/CEST)
The field of media relations and public communication related to municipal affairs is particularly important for maintaining a high level of transparency and effective communication with residents. As responsible and accountable service providers, the municipalities should be able to convey clear and concise messages to their constituents and create productive mechanisms for communication with the public. Their representatives should be also equipped with knowledge and skills that would allow them to use all available online resources, including official websites and social network accounts, as well as available media outlets, to pass their messages in the most productive way and receive feedback from their audiences that would help them boost their accountability and improve their performance.
As a part of the long-standing efforts aimed at supporting municipalities and increasing their capacities, the OSCE Mission in Kosovo (the OSCE) intends to enhance public relations and media communication skills of senior executive representatives of Kosovo Serb predominately inhabited municipalities and their support staff. To achieve desired results, the OSCE designed activities aimed at providing the selected beneficiaries with an opportunity to obtain the skills relevant for their professional performance that encompasses frequent communication with media outlets and the public. The activities also strive to address specific needs of the municipal authorities who are the main service providers and first respondent in communication with the public at the local level.
In 2021, the OSCE will facilitate four two-day workshops to targeted municipalities, including two separate two-day introductory sessions on basics of verbal and non-verbal communication and essential aspects of an effective public presentation, and two separate two-day hands-on sessions during which the municipal representatives will be presented with potential solutions on how to expand their online presence and improve their communication with the residents. In addition, the beneficiaries will be also offered a possibility to seek online/remote mentoring services related to the field of public communication and media relations from a local consultant/trainer who will be hired to also design, prepare and deliver the training sessions. As a result, the overall activity will tackle specific challenges of the municipalities related to the dissemination of public information, visual content of their websites and social network presence.
To conduct the activities, the OSCE requires the services of a local/consultant with relevant experience and expertise to strengthen the targeted beneficiaries’ knowledge related to delivering public speeches/interviews and conveying clear and concise messages through written statements and social media. Throughout the training and the mentoring process, the consultant should provide the municipal representatives with practical skill that would improve the overall transparency, accountability and performance of the targeted municipalities. Following the request of beneficiaries, the training sessions will be conducted in-person with social distancing and the use of PPE once the epidemiological situation has improved while the foreseen mentoring services will be conducted online.
The OSCE seeks to engage an experienced local consultant/trainer to design, prepare and deliver four two-day training sessions on media communication and public relations for the identified municipal representatives in line with their specific needs. The consultant/trainer will be also tasked provide remote/online mentoring services related to media communication and public relations, upon a request of the beneficiaries and within the period previously agreed between the Mission and her/him. Therefore, the overall objective of the consultancy is to build the existing capacities at various levels of the municipal structures to communicate with the public effectively by using conventional and modern media tools and communication techniques. In general, the consultant should strive to prepare the participants for a successful public appearance by identifying their main audiences and tackling identified gaps in communication with the public through mock interviews and group discussions.
The duration of consultancy is 25 working days.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Within the period of foreseen engagement, the local consultant will be tasked to carry out the following assignments:
- Develop four two-day training sessions on public communication and media relations for the identified municipal representatives from Mitrovicë/Mitrovica and Gjilan/Gnjilane regions in line with their specific needs (two two-day training sessions per each region). The training sessions should focus on basics of verbal and non-verbal communication, essential aspects of an effective public presentation, characteristics of targeted audiences, formulating and getting across authentic messages, overcoming the stage freight and achieving desired public impacts. They should also strive to improve the targeted beneficiaries’ on-camera performance, teach them how relevant media outlets operate and how to promote their ideas through successful media communication, present them some useful tips and advices for writing press releases, disclose secrets of contemporary. social media communication and prepare them to respond to media inquiries and questions even in unexpected situations;
- Design and prepare training materials on the identified topics, as well as the agenda and well-structured plan of the training, and submit them to the OSCE Activity Manager for review;
- Create an adequate tool that would allow him/her to assess the general level of trainees’ skills and knowledge prior and after the session and evaluate the overall impact of the activity;
- Deliver four two-day training sessions to the targeted beneficiaries in Gjilan/Gnjilane and Mitrovicë/Mitrovica regions (two two-day training sessions per region);
- Collect the written and oral feedback from the participants based on the methodology previously agreed with the Activity Manager;
- Summarize outcomes of the training sessions, including the feedback from the beneficiaries, and prepare the process of mentoring that will be subsequently offered to the involved municipalities;
- Provide remote/online mentoring services related to the field of public communication and media relations directly to the beneficiaries upon their request; as a part of the process, the consultant will offer practical advices and feedback related to their tools, mechanisms and products of public communication or any other inquiry that falls under the training subject matters;
- Draft and submit a final activity report that should consists of the following elements: summary of his/her presentations, overall assessment of the pre-training knowledge/skills of the trainees, description of the progress and impact achieved with the realization of the training and provision of mentoring services, as well as the main recommendations.
In a close communication and coordination with the OSCE Activity Manager, the local consultant is expected to:
- Prepare and submit, via e-mail, the content of the public communication and media relations training sessions, including relevant presentations, training material, agenda and plan, to the OSCE Activity Manager, at least five (5) working days prior to the implementation of the foreseen training sessions
- Develop and submit to the Activity Manager for review the designed methodology/tool for evaluation of the pre- and post-training knowledge of participants, at least five (5) working days prior to the implementation of the foreseen training sessions
- Deliver four two-day training sessions to selected beneficiaries in Gjilan/Gnjilane and Mitrovicë/Mitrovica regions
- Summarize outcomes of the training sessions, including the feedback of the beneficiaries, and prepare and submit to the Activity Manager, within 10 working days after the implementation of the training, an outline of the requested mentoring process
- Offer and deliver online mentoring services to the interested beneficiaries and municipalities within a previously agreed period of time
- Draft and submit the final report to the OSCE Mission’s Activity Manager. The report should not be less than three pages long but should also not exceed five pages and should summarize the main findings of the training, including the content of the sessions, overall assessment of the pre-training knowledge/skills of the trainees, description of the progress made and impact achieved with the realization of the training and the provision of mentoring services, as well as the main recommendations.
The following key performance indicators will allow monitoring of the implementation process, as well as achieved results of the selected consultant/trainer:
- Relevant training material is promptly and adequately designed to cover the identified public relations and public communication challenges of the targeted beneficiaries
- The developed pre and post-training assessment methodology and tools allow effective evaluation of the progress achieved and impact made through the implementation of the activity
- Relevant training sessions are prepared and implemented within the planned timeframe and in line with the required scope of services
- Online mentoring services are adequately designed and promptly provided to the beneficiaries upon their request
- The final report is drafted and delivered on time, in an appropriate format and with detailed information as requested by the Activity Manager
- University degree in social studies, languages, journalism, general law or media law, or political sciences
- At least five years of relevant working experience in the field of media and human rights
- Professional knowledge of media landscape and media legislation in the south-eastern Europe with focus on the relevant regional policies and media-related developments
- Relevant experience in delivering public relations and media communication training to various organizations and institutions
- Desirable familiarity with local self-government issues and municipal affairs
- Professional knowledge of Serbian and solid command of English language
- Solid computer literacy and skills needed for preparing and conducting the training sessions
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
Remuneration will depend on the qualifications and experience of individual experts as well as the detailed work plan to be agreed upon and will be based on the current OSCE consultancy rates.
How To Apply
In order to apply for this position you must complete the OSCE's online application form, found under https://jobs.osce.org/. Applicants are encouraged to use the online recruitment and only fully completed OSCE applications will be accepted. However, if you have technical difficulties with the system you may use the offline application form found under https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/offline-application-form and forward the completed form quoting the vacancy number by e-mail to: email@example.com. In line with your qualifications please indicate preference to one or more field of expertise listed above (while using the online application the field of expertise preference can be indicated in the cover letter part). Kindly note that applications received after the deadline, submitted in different formats than the OSCE Application Form or inother languages than the English language would not be considered. The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious,ethnic and social backgrounds to apply