Location : Prishtina, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 21-Feb-21 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : International Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 08-Mar-2021
Duration of Initial Contract : 08 - 31 March 2021 (15 working days within this period)
Expected Duration of Assignment : 08 - 31 March 2021 (15 working days within this period)
The purpose of this position will mainly focus on the Ministry of Internal Affairs/Department for Public Safety, Kosovo Police Investigation Department (K9 unit, Bomb Squad and Specialized units) and Kosovo Forensic Agency – arson and explosives investigations specifically regarding the analysis on the current Standard Operating Procedures but also the needs in regard to all types of explosive investigations including hand grenades, explosives, precursors, Cat 4 pyrotechnics in order to identify gaps, coordination and communication, and human resources.
This gap analysis will contribute to the implementation of the Combating Illicit Arms Trafficking in Kosovo for Criminal Police (CPIAT) Project which aims to support and increase capacities of the Kosovo Police in detection, investigation and confiscation of explosives and explosive precursors.
Objectives of Assignment
Understand institutional gaps and capacities of MoIA, Kosovo Forensic Agency (KFA) and police investigation on explosives investigations.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesIn cooperation with KSSP Project Officer, and under the overall supervision of the KSSP Project Manager, the expert will be expected to perform the following tasks:
1. Conduct research, desk review and analysis of the current Standard Operating Procedures of the MoIA, Kosovo Police and KFA for explosive related investigations in order to identify gaps, coordination and communication, and human resources. At minimum this would include reviewing of the following:
- Legislative framework; in particular in the field of explosive precursors CSI and recovery of explosive evidence including documenting of explosive material;
- Custody chain
- Bomb disposal
- Recovery of hand grenades and evidencing
- Identification and Tracing of explosives and pyrotechnic materials
2. Conduct field visits and interviews with respective Kosovo Police and Kosovo Forensic Agency officials based on which to draft needs assessment of capacities for explosive investigations.
3. Draft preliminary and final Gap Analysis with detailed recommendations for improvement of the capacities and equipment of MoIA, Kosovo Police’s and Kosovo Forensic Agency’s respective sectors/units whose scope of work is exclusively dealing with explosives of various kinds.
Expected Results/ Deliverables/Outputs
Conduct research and draft needs assessment (8 working days) based on capacities of the MoIA, Kosovo Police and KFA to investigate and counter possession and trafficking of IAT with focus on explosives, via:
- Desk review and analysis of the legislative and strategic framework including SOPs with focus on explosives;
- Assessment of the administrative and institutional capacities;
- Field Interviews with respective stakeholders.
Preliminary Gap analysis report prepared (4 working days)
Final Gap analysis report with concrete recommendations prepared (3 working days)
Scope of price proposal and schedule of payments
The Contract is based on an all-inclusive lump sum remuneration based on the submission of the final report summarizing the work done, cleared by the direct supervisor UNDP KSSP Project Manager.
Required Presentation of Offer:
The following documents must be submitted:
- Duly completed Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability
- Personal CV and P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Offeror and at least three (3) professional references;
- A methodology on how they will approach and complete the assignment;
- Financial Proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs.
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport
Criteria for Selection of the Best Offer
Combined Scoring method – where the qualifications and methodology will be weighted a max. of 70%, and combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30%
- Demonstrates professional competence to meet responsibilities and post requirements and is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Results-Orientation: Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals, generates innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills, including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations, both orally and in writing, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match different audiences.
- Teamwork: Ability to interact, establish and maintain effective working relations with a culturally diverse team.
- Client orientation: Ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with national partners and stakeholders and pro-activeness in identifying of beneficiaries and partners’ needs and matching them to appropriate solutions.
- Excellent organizational and research skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to build trust.
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position.
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modelling UN values and ethical standards.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- BA in Law, political science, criminology or social sciences or related field. Specialized trainings in the field of explosives, SALW and IAT investigations would be preferred.
- Minimum 10 years criminal investigations in the field of explosives and SALW control;
- Proven forensic experience in arson and explosive investigations;
- Proven experience in conducting analysis and reporting;
- Proven experience in working with law enforcement agencies and other government institutions;
- Proven experience in gap analysis/assessments;
- Fluency in English; proficiency in Albanian and/or Serbian is considered an asset.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office applications and other ICT devices and internet
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; you can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume;
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.