Consultant/Coordinator to support the implementation of the UNFPA component of the joint project “Return to (New) Normal: Strengthening resilience through a safe and inclusive return to normality in health and education in Kosovo in the wake of COVID-19”
Location : Kosovo, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 11-Nov-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 20-Nov-2020
Duration of Initial Contract : 20 November 2020 – 31 March 2021 (with possibility of extension pending on availability of funds)
Expected Duration of Assignment : 20 November 2020 – 31 March 2021 (with possibility of extension pending on availability of funds)
After the World Health Organization designated the outbreak a global pandemic on 11 March, the first cases in Kosovo were diagnosed on 14 March, followed by the declaration of a state of Public Health Emergency on 15 March and an array of increasing restrictions to curtail the spread of the disease, including the closure of schools and many private businesses, of borders and boundaries, and broad restrictions on movement and the isolation of severely affected municipalities. The phased re-opening of public life as of June could not distract from the continuous threat posed by the virus, evidenced by a concerning spike in numbers since June, nor its long-lasting socio-economic effects.
UNFPA jointly with WHO, UNICEF and UN Women, and with funding from British Embassy in Pristina, are implementing the Project Return to (New) Normal: Strengthening resilience through a safe and inclusive return to normality in health and education in Kosovo in the wake of COVID-19. The project aims to ensure a safe return to normality taking into account the possibility of future waves of COVID-19 and allow for commensurate preparations, and a fair return to normality which is inclusive, ensuring that groups that were already marginalized prior to the pandemic are not left behind even further.
The aim of this consultancy is to ensure the required professional support for the implementation and coordination of the UNFPA project components:
Support the maintenance of essential health services with a focus on the most vulnerable.
Promote reliable COVID-19 messaging and preventative measures.
In this context, under the supervision and joint day-to-day coordination with UNFPA SRH and Youth Programme Analyst, the National consultant/Coordinator will be responsible for implementing and coordinating project activities with stakeholders, monitoring progress and risks, reporting on progress, including measures to address challenges and opportunities, supporting partnerships and advocacy activities at the project level.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesScope of work: (Description of services, activities, or outputs)
Breakdown of tasks and responsibilities is listed below, and reflects duties and expectations from the National consultant/Coordinator:
A. Coordination and implementation of project activities
- Lead project implementation for timely and efficient delivery of project outputs as per Project Document and Work Plans.
- Oversee the implementation of an agreed work plan with the local implementing partner/non-governmental organization (NGO).
- Provide support to coordinate and harmonize messaging between the Ministry of Health (MoH), National Institute of Public Health (NIPH), and the government on the ongoing situation and measures to prevent community transmission of COVID-19 especially in reaching vulnerable groups and minorities.
- Ensure support is provided to the NIPH working group on health education and promotion on developing key messages and different information and educational materials.
- Ensure support for the roll-out of a Kosovo-wide awareness raising campaign on COVID-19 threats.
- Oversee the implementation of the contract with the specialized company to develop video messages, infographics and other information materials and ensure that the support is provided to the company by the Communication Professional.
- Lead the roll-out of the Essential Health E-Services in the Municipality of Prishtina, including coordination, initiation, implementation and monitoring of E-services, jointly with municipal health stakeholders.
- Contribute during the procurement process of ICT equipment for Essential Health E-Services.
- Facilitate and coordinate the functioning of the working group of the Ministry of Health, NIPH and Primary Health care defining the standards for online service provision.
- Support the mission of the WHO expert on Essential Health E-services.
- Ensure coordination between efforts with UN Agencies, local and national government focal points, to integrate good practices and learn from the experience of different stakeholders in maintaining essential health services.
- Maintain efficient communication between UNFPA and UN Agencies, UNDCO, British Embassy, the Ministry of Health, Implementing Partners and national counterparts for effective achievement of results, anticipating and resolving complex programme/project-related issues.
- Participate in Steering Committee meetings.
- Prepare and deliver work-plans, periodic narrative progress reports and expenditures status reports to UNFPA Kosovo Office as per agreed plan, anticipating and flagging any deviations from the work plans immediately, and presenting for consideration solutions for resolving complex project-related issues.
- Apply UNFPA programming and financial tools, policies and procedures. Keep abreast of UNFPA programming practices and maintain an optimum level of knowledge by continuous learning.
- Ensure and contribute to the wide communication, dissemination and visibility of project achievements in an innovative manner.
- Ensure comprehensive planning and full engagement of national counterparts in implementing the project, and addressing in a result-oriented manner any emerging issues.
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Develop the detailed work plans for implementation of project activities, Terms of Reference (ToR) and engagement of local and international consultancy and procurement plan with the support of Assist the UNFPA SRH and Youth Programme Analyst;
- Prepare requests for advance of funds and/or direct payments with the support of Programme Assistant and supervision of Administrative Finance Associate;
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare and submit project progress reports and expenditure and programme budget status reports;
- Perform necessary operations in Global Programming System module in ATLAS;
- Plan, schedule and coordinate travel and logistics for meetings, conferences and special events, prepare and issue contracts.
- Support the activity of the other colleagues in the office by ensuring the programme cohesion and synergy and pursuing integrated approach in project implementation.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Duration and working schedule:
- 20 November 2020 – 31 March 2021 with possibility of extension pending on availability of funds.
- The activities under the present assignment will commence on 20 November 2020 and conclude by 31 March 2021. During the aforementioned period, the consultant/candidate will be engaged full-time
Place where services are to be delivered:
- Kosovo: Office/home-based, with meetings to be attended both virtually and physically as needed, depending on Covid-19 epidemiological situation.
Delivery dates and how work will be delivered (e.g. electronic, hard copy etc.):
- As per the Project Work Plan.
Monitoring and progress control, including reporting requirements, periodicity format and deadline:
- Format of the reporting should follow MPTF and UNFPA reporting tools.
- National consultant/Coordinator overall supervision and quality assurance rests with the UNFPA SRH and Youth Programme Analyst and under overall leadership of the UNFPA Head of Office.
- The Project Expert will supervise two Communication Experts involved in the project.
Expected travel: Within Kosovo
Inputs / services to be provided by UNFPA or implementing partner (e.g. support services, office space, equipment), if applicable:
- UNFPA will provide the office space and all the necessary equipment for the task, such as a laptop, and all necessary information and materials for the fulfilment of tasks.
Other relevant information or special conditions, if any:
- UNFPA reserves the right to offer to the selected candidate the rate in accordance with UNFPA consultant rates and UNFPA available budget.
- Payment for the consultant will not exceed average UNFPA rates for national consultants.
- The payment will be done on the monthly salary basis.
Premises for signing the Contract with IC:
- Before signing the Contract with UNFPA, the Individual Consultant is required to pass the following mandatory courses and submit the completion certificates to UNFPA:
- Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse https://extranet.unfpa.org/Apps/PSEA2017/
- Fraud and Corruption Awareness and Prevention https://extranet.unfpa.org/Apps/Antifraud/English/story_html5.html
Required Presentation of Offer:
The following documents are required to be submitted:
- Updated P11/ CV, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three professional references.
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment
- Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport or National ID
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationship
- Communicating for impact
Managerial Competencies (if applicable):
- Providing strategic focus
- Engaging internal/external partners
- Leading, developing and empowering people/ creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
Functional Skill Set:
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
Required Skills and ExperienceThe UNFPA Kosovo Office is looking for a National consultant/Coordinator who has the following competencies and qualifications:
- MA degree in health studies, management, public policies, social sciences, political sciences, international relations, gender equality, psychology or other related development field, or
- BA degree in health studies, management, public policies, social sciences, political sciences, international relations, gender equality, psychology or other related development field, in combination
Knowledge and experience:
- Minimum 1 year of relevant working experience for those with MA degree or 3 years of relevant experience for those with BA degree in project/programme management, coordination of international organization and local institutions/communities;
- Proven ability to coordinate complex programmes with diverse range of partners;
- Proven analytical skills and report writing;
- Experience in working with public health related issues is a distinct advantage;
- Experience in working with communication related issues is desirable;
- Previous experience in working with social partners, the Ministry of Health, National Institute for Public Health, and the Pristina Municipal Health Directorate will be a distinct advantage;
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for an international agency or donor organization or NGO is a strong asset;
- Excellent computer skills (especially MS Office) and ability to use information technology as a tool and resource.
- Fluency in English and Albanian is required. Good knowledge of other local languages is an asset.
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation; you can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume;
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (CV; P11; financial offer; list of similar profiles should be included as one attachment).
- Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.