Location : Prishtinë/Priština, Kosovo, UNSCR 1244 (1999)
Application Deadline : 29-Oct-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction
Type of Contract : Internship
Post Level : Intern
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 16-Nov-2020
Duration of Initial Contract : 6 Months
Expected Duration of Assignment : 16 November 2020 to 15 May 2020
The UNDCO team provides programmatic and administrative support to inter-agency activities; promote UN public information and advocacy and oversees the inter-agency coordination mechanisms, as well as develop support and manage few projects and activities during the year.
In 2020 the UNKT is in the final year of the 'UN Common Development Plan 2016 – 2020’ (an UNDAF-like document), for the second time since its mandate in Kosovo. The upcoming 5 year document is the Sustainable Development Cooperation framework which covers the period 2021-2025
The UNKT approach to the work - both on the UN CDP/ UNSDCF, the UNSF, local Strategic Development Strategies like the NDS , as well as other like ERA , along with SSA , and global agenda like SDGs has been pragmatic, non-traditional, with a view to simplify, and think out of the box to identify areas pushing forward governmental priorities which are also of importance to the UN system as a whole. Efforts have been joined to ensure collaboration in a concerted and harmonized manner, with a view to improve the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the UN interventions in Kosovo, in terms of both development impact and efficiency.
Strategic documents are being implemented by established mechanisms comprising of three (for the CDP/CF), respectively four (for the UNSF) functional working groups. These groups are chaired/ co-chaired by UN agencies Heads and Deputy Heads according to their leadership mandates in a relevant field of expertise. This work will need additional coordination capacities within the UNDCO for which an Intern would add valuable contribution.
 National Development Strategy
 European Reform Agenda
 Stabilization Association Agreement
 Sustainable Development Goals
Duties and ResponsibilitiesUnder the direct supervision of the UN Communication and Outreach Officer, and the guidance of the UNDCO Team Leader the Intern will undertake the following tasks:
- Assist with research, analysis, and advocacy of the UNKT Common Development Plan/ Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework to enhance communication and development implementation;
- Focus on data related materials which can be used for promo materials for the office, in support to the Kosovo’s development;
- Help populate and maintain the new website hosted by our HQ;
- Assist the UNKT Communications Group to coordinate the development of joint and cooperative awareness events and other external communication tools on this year’s topics and related to CDP/CF and SDG’s;
- Assist in implementation of the planed advocacy activities, including media communications, in coordination with the UNKT;
- Support the work of the active groups via the website and other public media; Support design of the talking points, media advisory and briefing and any other advocacy updates needed for the DC office;
- Support in logistical arrangements and provide secretarial support to the UNDCO team for the preparations of internal and external meetings, trainings, seminars, workshops/retreats, public and media events and other activities organized by the UNDCO;
- Assist Communications Team to maintain and regularly update the promotional materials related to the UNDC Office and any support to the internal and external strategic communication;
- Support to UNKT efforts to develop and launch inter-agency initiatives related to youth engagement, including (but not limited to) to strengthen youth involvement in the Sustainable Development Goals.
Impact of Results
Under direct supervision of UN Communication and Outreach Officer, and the support of the DCO team, the UNKT Intern assumes responsibilities to ensure that the coordination aspects of the UNKT’s communications and advocacy work are delivered as per the UNKT workplan.
- People Management
Functional & Technical Competencies:
- Demonstrates strong writing skills, particularly the ability to present persuasive, coherent and well-founded arguments.
- Demonstrates drive to achieve results in timely manner and to seek and find solutions to any problems encountered.
- Demonstrates ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Ability to convert complex and abstract ideas into simple visual concepts.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Demonstrates an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
Candidates must be enrolled in a degree programme in Social Sciences, International Relations, Economic Development, Journalism, Political Science, Communications,
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
- Experience in communications and social media outreach;
- Experience in online content development is desirable;
- Prior experience with the multilateral system is desirable;
- Must be able to work in a multicultural environment and be aware of political sensitivities;
- Familiarity with social media platforms and graphic design and photo editing software applications;
- Self-starter; organized; able to multitask, balance multiple responsibilities, and work to deadline;
- Previous experience of working in innovation, communication and data is an asset;
- Fluency in English, Albanian and Serbian, both written and verbal is required.
General Internships Terms & Conditions:
- UNDCO Internship programme is governed by the UNDP Internship policy framework & rules.
- Under the new revised UNDP internship policy, UNDCO will provide a modest monthly internship stipend to its interns, in accordance with the provisions of the UNDP Internship policy. All expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern.
- Selected Interns must be able to share proof of education enrolment and/ or graduation, medical/ health and life/accident insurance, valid for the location in which the internship will be carried out and be able to provide insurance documentary proof at the time of their selection;
- There is no expectation of employment with UNDCO following an internship.
Interested candidates should submit the following documents:
- Resume (updated)
- Motivation letter setting out the reasons why he/she is seeking an internship with UNRCO
- a letter from his/her university confirming current enrolment and graduation date or proof of recent graduation or enrolment
To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Download and complete the the UNDP PERSONAL HISTORY FORM (P11) from this link:http://www.ks.undp.org/content/kosovo/en/home/operations/jobs/
- Click on the "Apply now" button;
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. You can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box;
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume. Instead of uploading your Resume, please submit a fully completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (P-11);
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (P11, academic qualifications/diploma) should be included as one attachment.