The Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia (REU) is responsible for leading FAO's response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO's priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. REU also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization's Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The Programme “Support to strengthening sustainable and multipurpose forest management to improve rural livelihoods and address climate change in Kosovo” - GCP/KOS/007/SWE aims at increasing the contribution of forest sector’s to the Kosovo economy through a participatory and gender-responsive forest management and is strengthened in accordance with relevant rules on forests and supported with value-chains for poverty alleviation.
The Programme is structured around three components, each further operationalized into specific outputs and activities. The first component is dedicated to improving timber legality, trade and law enforcement in forest sector. One of the outputs from this component aim to generate public support to combat illegal activities in the forest sector and to change public opinion and perceptions in order to take greater responsibility for this natural resource.
The Programme related communication activities are designed to build the momentum for changes in the way the society sees forests as an endless resource. Various communication channels and platforms will also be used to reach out to international and local stakeholders, forest managers, local communities, those whose lives are directly affected by forests by bringing, inspiring, people-centred stories to the public use and with an objective to improve the appreciation and image of the forestry sector.
The Local Communication and awareness raising Specialist will report to the Local Team Leader, and work under the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer and the FAO Communication for Development Team, PSPF, and in close collaboration with the relevant technical division in REU and in FAO headquarters, The Local Communication Specialist will also work closely with the project’s international and national consultants and with focal points in the relevant Ministries.
Provide technical expertise through the identification, conducting needs/gaps assessment, review, designing, definition and monitoring of communication instruments/activities, relevant to the forestry sector in Kosovo, including, but not limited to, timber legality, use and trade with forest products, gender in forestry, protection and sustainable forest management, and other topics as appropriate.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support the review and development of a comprehensive communication and information strategy with the aim to change public opinion and perceptions and take greater responsibility for the forest as natural resource and generate public support to combat illegal activities. In particular, he/she will carry out the following tasks:
- Draft a consultation workplan to be agreed with the project’s focal points and the FAO ComDev team
- Participate in the inception meeting, reviews and consultations and review the existing documentation from previous initiatives on a similar topic;
- Prepare a gaps/needs assessment in information and communication including:
- Identification of key issues and communication entry points;
- Existing communication entities and institutions with significant reach in the country;
- Main partners’ and stakeholders’ needs and gaps in communication, including relevant media and ICTs;
- Communication capacities available of key local partners;
- Current policy framework for communication and access to information.
- Draft/review a Communication strategy including a viable action plan to address the gaps and needs identified, including the drafting of relevant laws, including by-laws, if apropriate;Organize a validation workshop/seminar with relevant stakeholders.
- Identify the potential service providers and prepare a tender documentation (Request for Proposals) for procurement of services for implementation Information and Awareness Campaigns;
- Facilitate stakeholders meetings, workshops, seminars for validation of the methodologies and tools for Public Awareness Campaigns;
- Supervise the entities contracted for implementation of communication and Awareness Campaigns;
- Identify the sources and channels for conveying the key public awareness massages;
- Identify and analyse the targeted groups to be addressed by the Information and Awareness Campaigns;
- Facilitate the missions of International Information and Communication Expert and prepare information’s as required per mission objectives;
- Synergise activities with other project specialists, in particular with National WEB designer and National IT specialist on modalities of information dissemination trough Kosovo Forest Information System and other media;
- Ensure the continuation of recommended activities between the missions of the International expert;
- Contribute to the drafting of a technical report, which will include the appropriate recommendation to counterparts;
- Perform any other duties as may required;
- Prepare an end-of -assignment report.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in Communication, Sociology, Business Administration, Marketing, Journalism or related forestry and environmental fields;
- Five year experience in public opinion modelling and research, implementation of awareness rising campaigns, information dissemination, environment and forest management activities or related field;
- Excellent English writing and reporting skills.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Familiarity with designing awareness rising campaigns for protecting natural resources and forest use, including enforcement of rule of laws and regulations, promotion of legality tools and related processes applicable in forestry sector is considered an asset.
- Experience in designing promotion and awareness rising campaigns
- Ability to carry out media research and analysis;
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and to monitor promotion and public awareness rising campaigns;
- Ability to work independently and under minimal supervision.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- For further information on categories, contract duration and honoraria, please refer to the Conditions page.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should send their application not later than 12:00 PM, Wednesday 22 July 2020 at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documentation:
- Cover Letter
- Three Letter of References from the previous similar assignments