Job categories Engineering
Vacancy code VA/2021/B5107/21665
Department/office ECR, AUMCO, Pristina
Duty station Pristina, Kosovo (under UNSCR 1244/99)
Contract type Local ICA Specialist
Contract level LICA Specialist-8
Application period 23-Apr-2021 to 09-May-2021
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information - Pristina
Pristina Project Office
UNOPS’ Pristina Office reports to the UNOPS Multi Country Office in Vienna, as part of the UNOPS Europe & Central Asia Region (ECR). UNOPS presence in Pristina was established in 1999 to help the Kosovo Government and other partners achieve their development, peace and security goals and aims to enable the achievement of UN-SDG Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement through projects and tailored interventions by providing a broad spectrum of sustainable project management, procurement and HR Services to development partners in the following areas:
- Governance and Rule of Law;
- Provision of Health Sector Strengthening in response to the COVID-19 Pandemic;
Infrastructure - Design development and Construction Project/Contract Management;
- Technical Assistance;
- Partner Personnel HR Management;
- Project Management (full service, back on track)
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS (Pristina Project Centre) has a portfolio of projects that include infrastructure, procurement projects, project management support to partners and HR management of partner personnel projects with UN agencies in the region.
The infrastructure component relates to ongoing health response projects to the COVID 19 Pandemic, with infrastructure activities at different stages of the project cycle, as well as planned health infrastructure upgrade, there is also a procurement component related to strengthening the health systems for COVID19 response in Kosovo that procurement of medical equipment require associated renovations of the physical infrastructure of hospitals and other health facilities.
UNOPS Pistina Office is engaged in health projects supporting the Government of Kosovo to successfully fight COVID-19 Pandemic from 2020 and continues to be engaged in 2021 in similar projects. The interest of the donor community in Kosovo is increased towards UNOPS engaging in implementation of similar projects. The Government of Kosovo agreed with the World Bank Group and the Council of Europe Development Bank for loan allocations in response to the COVID 19 pandemic. The Government of Kosovo, respectively the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Health approached UNOPS to implement these projects.
These engagements, among others consists of renovation of the part of Regional Hospitals in Kosovo respectively Installation of the internal distribution network for medical gas (oxygen) in the General Hospitals - Gjilan, Ferizaj, Gjakova, Peja, Mitrovica and Vushtrri, Expansion of capacities of the Morgue in Pristina and supporting the COVID-19 Vaccination process in Kosovo through construction of a new national vaccine building in Pristina at the site of the QKUK main hospital.
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Civil Engineer will manage the external consultant for design works during the design development stage, as well as coordinate with the procurement team during the procurement of contractors for the works. On award of works contracts the Civil Engineer will manage and oversee the day to day engineering supervision to the projects and provide quality and quantity control to all works. Following the schedule of works, the Civil Engineer will be responsible for the on-site construction activities and supervise the quality and progress of all works. S/he will provide daily updates to the Program Manager (Infrastructure) and will communicate and coordinate with the UNOPS office support, contractors and with internal and external entities for successful completion of the project activities under infrastructure.
The successful Incumbent will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities;
- Technical Assistance
- Stakeholder Management
- Monitoring and Progress Controls
- In coordination with the Project Manager (Infrastructure), identify existing risks and technical problems and suggest appropriate solutions.
- Provide oversight of the implementation of works for the specific project sites and monitoring of the progress of works according to contract schedules, specifications and project plans.
- Collect and document information on the contractor’s workforce, progress of work and any other related information, and report accordingly on a daily basis.
- Support in writing Design Briefs for all planned infrastructure designs including: conceptual designs, detailed design, technical specifications, quality standards, bill of quantities, health and safety measures, preambles, timeframes and strategies for execution, inclusive of gender considerations, people with disabilities and sustainability criteria;
- Ensure that approved concept and detailed designs by the Project Boards are all complete and to the UNOPS Design Review standard, and further coordinate the activities to obtain the Design Review Certificate issued by UNOPS Design Review team in Headquarters;
- For all certified detailed designs ensure that tender documents are finalized and complete, including: Scope of Works (SoW), site information, budget, technical specifications, schedules, Bill of Quantities (BoQ), calculations and construction drawings;
- Submit requisition for all approved infrastructure projects and coordinate with Procurement Unit to facilitate the competition of the procurement process, including: Development of relevant tender documents, evaluation of tenders, and issuing and management of works contracts;
- Implement quality controls (QC) and quality assurance (QA) procedures, to ensure all infrastructure projects are correctly initiated, managed, monitored, reported and closed in accordance with UNOPS policies and procedures;
- Undertake measurement of works in support of contractor payment requests.
- Enforce and supervise the implementation of HSSE at the project sites.
- Review the contractor’s work programmes, resource, schedule and project implementation plans and ensure that the contractors/site supervisors comply with their work plans and complete the work within the specified time frame, and report accordingly.
- Ensure all works, undertaken by the contractor and/or his agent, are of good quality, as per specifications and with approved quality materials.
- Coordinate with working groups from the beneficiary and the donor in achieving desired results for the design and construction works.
- Assist in the preparation of tender documents and evaluation of tenders and the preparation and finalization of contracts for construction.
- Assist in the identification, evaluation, selection and supervision of construction contractors for specified project work.
Files and Reports:
- Monitor and record appropriate field data to validate contractors’ compliance to cross-cutting issues (gender, environment, sustainability, health and safety on-site, etc.) as stipulated in the contract and detailed in the construction work program.
- Responsible for formal document issues and registers such as drawings, bill of quantities, specifications, contractor instructions, engineering standards.
- Maintenance of the following project documentation as required including but not limited to payment register, variation register, site safety inspection register, site diary, instruction to contractor register, drawing register, visitor register, sample approval register, concrete test register, progress photos.
- Ensure that issues, risks and lessons learned are identified, managed and documented throughout the project stages (using UNOPS tools) and shared with the supervisor;
Perform other related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Report site work progress to the Program Manager on a daily basis.
- Supervise a team of Associate Engineers.
- A Bachelor's degree in infrastructure-related fields such as civil or construction engineering, architecture, and/or construction management or a similar field is required.
- A Master’s Degree in an infrastructure-related field such as civil or construction engineering, architecture, and/or construction management or a similar field will be an asset.
- Minimum 2 years of working experience in engineering and construction supervision for buildings is required;
- Relevant experience required in construction planning or construction management, in a public or private sector organization;
- Experience in implementing Internationally funded projects is an advantage;
- Past work experience with the UN/UNOPS and/or similar international/multicultural organization will be considered a strong asset;
- Expertise in projects involving renovation of hospital infrastructure/ medical services is highly desired;
- Fluency in Albanian and English is required, Serbian is desirable;
- Projects IN Controlled Environments 2 (PRINCE2) Foundation and (PRINCE2) Practitioner Certification will be considered as an asset
Driving license and ability to travel independently is required